4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)

Home Page › Forums › General Chat › 4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1793602
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Rank: Rank-1

    GPU not working correctly in both 4.20.02 broken Alpha and Beta regardless of drivers and a new install of both OS and DS and all the rest. I've also noticed the render settings not working properly, they won't go back to default settings. All my HDRI maps look like the sun is pointing on the model and blinding me in the process.

    So I'm rendering a scene and although the CPU is disabled in DS it still uses it more than my GPU. My CPU was using 100% at one point until I disabled CPU fallback now it only uses around 50% and 5% of the GPU when rendering. Before the fresh installation all was good, the GPU fans would ramp up when rendering, now it's giving me an headache figuring out what could be wrong. I benchmarked the GPU and there's nothing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

    #1793615
    Frank21
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 5

    Sounds like a driver issue @Billyhill. Apparently the latest (Studio) for the 3000 series is 512.15 released March 22, 2022. Same date for the latest 2000 series. Is that what you have?
    Over on the Daz benchmarking thread several recent tests are showing 4.20 to be slower than 4.15 on the benchmark scene.

    #1793754
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Rank: Rank-1

    @frank22

    Thanks for the heads up. I do have the latest drivers and even tried older one's which worked flawlessly before. Yes I have a 2080 Super and a 3070 and both are working fine, but this constant abuse from both Nvidia and DAZ is becoming a bore where productivity is concerned. 4.16 is looking more the goto so I will dump 4.20 for the moments and see how it works out.

    #1794202
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Rank: Rank-1

    I'm still having the render problems in DS even though @eelgoo suggested the new Beta might fix the problem. Having tried older and new drivers I'm at a loss to what the issue is. One thing I did notice is one screen on my dual screen display port setup would go blank and put all the icons on one screen. This has happened on a couple of occasions but it's rare.

    So I'm stuck. Non of my HDR maps and lighting work correctly and the CPU is still getting more use than my GPU even though I've set Iray to use the GPU and disable CPU fallback. I didn't have this problem until I reinstalled DS 4.20 and now I'm kicking myself.

    I'm going to try 4.16 and if that doesn't solve the problem it's another fresh install but this time on my Intel platform. If it's hardware related I'll soon know :/

    #1794308
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Rank: Rank-1

    The lighting went back to normal for a short time in 4.16.3 then got messed up again. It appears to be the dome rotation not working correctly and it won't reset via the reset button it has to be done manually. More messing about is needed :/

    #1796190
    Lucafeelgood
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 5

    What I found out after many hours.
    When I copy the VDB file to my desktop and then from there load this VDB into the (surface volume file place), It work fine.
    So when I manually load whatever VDB's from my desktop... all wonderful.

    But I have no idea why I can't just open a VDB prop as usual. For example the VDB Steam and Smoke Mega Pack!!!!

    @amberkat

    #1798774
    Lucafeelgood
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 5

    My last update was 4.20.0.12. Gonna try the 4.20.0.17... Maybe this solves my problems with the VDB prop.
    A lot of smoke for nothing...

    #1800510
    slender331man
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 4

    anyone ever faces a problem where daz 4.20 outright refuses to render with GPU? never happened on 4.16 but happens on 4.20 very frequently. in the log it just keeps saying out of memory error. does this mean I require a goddamn RTX3090 with 24GB VRAM to render but not a 2080 with 8GB VRAM?

    some of the errors I encountered

    rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080): Not enough memory for kernel launches (0.000 B (283.008 MiB) required, 0.000 B available). Cannot allocate framebuffer.
    rend error: Unable to allocate 8.000 MiB from 0.000 B of available device memory
    rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080): Failed to setup device frame buffer
    rend error: CUDA error: out of memory
    rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080): Scene setup failed
    rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080): Device failed while rendering
    rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080) ran out of memory and is temporarily unavailable for rendering.
    #1800640
    Frank21
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 5

    Does "very frequently" mean it occurs intermittently on the same or similar scene? I don't get a "not enough memory" log warning or failure to render even if my 2080 runs out of RAM. Would this happen if you had CPU Fallback unchecked in DS?
    Personally I'd pull out and reseat the GPU in case it has become loose. And the cables. I guess you would have the latest drivers. Good luck!

    2

    #1800777
    slender331man
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 4

    well I guess I really need a GPU with 16GB VRAM or more next time...maybe it's due to having too many polygons in the scene. :/

    #1800888
    Amber
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 6

    @slender331man - I doubt it, I'm using a doorstop of a laptop with only 8GB RAM and a tired old Ryzen 3 chip, Radeon Vega embedded graphics. It is barely capable of rendering a crayon drawing, but it actually does the job in Iray, volumes working as expected.

    #1801548
    slender331man
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 4

    @Amberkat I still think it's some sort of geometry overflow -- partially due to my mistake of overestimating how much my system can take

    so basically I render my character on SubD level 4. fine and dandy, but then I added another full body shell and I wasn't aware of that the shell was also going to be on SubD level 4 during the render, essentially doubling the total SubD 4 geometry count on my own character...

    #1801569
    Amber
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 6

    lol that would do it. You might want to reduce the resolution of your models, if you don't need very close shots. Even then, let normal, bump, and displacement maps do the detail work. You can get away with surprisingly few polygons when you have good materials.

    Also, if you use large sets with lots of off-camera geometry that can't be removed or hidden easily, or at all, look into using Section Planes. They're built right into Daz, hiding in the Create menu.
    A section Plane basically defines a region where all geometry is excluded from rendering calculations, both making it invisible (no light bounces are being calculated) and reducing the render time by ridiculous amounts. The plane extends to infinity (although its placeholder plane is reasonably small so you can manipulate it) and everything in the world which is on the negative Y axis (back of the plane) is allowed to render, and everything on the front positive Y axis (the side with green arrow pointing out) is excluded from the render. It even has a parameter to turn on and off shadow casting... light always passes through the plane to illuminate included geometry, and can allow the excluded geometry to still block light as if it were not excluded.
    Someone at DeviantArt attached them to a camera so only what is in the view gets rendered, and made it a freebie.
    The planes are a little bit sloppy, but they don't need to be pretty. The thing works amazingly well, I never render without it now. Note that it does not reduce the amount of geometry in memory, it's still in the scene... it's simply excluded from ray calculation.

    #1804810
    Amber
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 6

    There's bugs in Daz older than Genesis 3.
    I keep dreaming of an open-source alternative...

    oh wait, there is. it's called Blender. :p

    #1804942
    Frank21
    Participant
    Rank: Rank 5

    I just DL that Iray Interior Camera and I'm looking forward to checking it out.
    Question - if you have a mirror that's reflecting an area that's outside the section plane render region, will it show in the mirror? Same for any reflections. OK, when I get a chance I'll set up a scene and see what happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 148 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

 

Post You Might Like