4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)

Home Page Forums General Chat 4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Lucafeelgood
    Participant

What I noticed today: I see a huge improvement when I run dforce in the new Studio 4.20.0.2. Also the ground fog is a great future.

globalrecession2009
    Participant

I couldnt render anything after updating from to 420.
    Turns out I had to update nvidia driver as i was still using older nvidia driver 456.38
    It now renders ok after newer 473.04 installed.

Oldwolf
    Participant

What sort of improvement in dForce? Faster or better draping?

Participant

I updated to 4.20 and didn't notice much of a difference in dForce. Iray Preview does seem a bit faster but now it doesn't stop. I clocked a scene that took 2 minutes to render after which the GPU went back to idle but put it in Iray Preview the GPU is still going full blast after 20 minutes.

Frank21
    Participant

Like all decisions in life it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons. As it stands there's not enough pros with up-grading for me. dForce works fast in my current version and I can do fog with geometry planes so the new volumetrics isn't a big thing for me either.
    Add to that my current version is solid as a rock, I've hammered the absolute shit out of it today simulating and rendering without a single hitch, I'm not that interested in risking that stability on a new iteration, particularly when Ghost Lights get broken in the process which are my lighting mainstay.
    If Daz Corp want's me to move on they'll need to pull more rabbits out of their hat than currently on offer. Version 5 may do that, who knows.

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

He @frank22 I Just use normal Ghost lights in my render, with a free script, that fix this problem. I can also not be without Ghost Lights. The most important Lights in my renders. But Never change a running system, if you don't backup.

btw Update also the "default resources package" When you update your system.

Find Here

@oldwolf
    Dforce is much faster and clothes, Hair, drapes also better. But not all the clothes are draping as it should be. Explosions are sometimes there but less as before.
    Everyone has his own rig..... Good luck

Participant

Curious about the Ghost Lights "fix". What's wrong with invisible lights that Nvidia needed to "fix" it?

Niala
    Participant

The problem is that previously the luminosity was considered as independent of a surface opacity. Now iray multiplies luminosity by opacity for every emitter surface before rendering. This may allow for additional effects (for instance a light with a varying luminosity defined by a map, I think), but it breaks ghostlights as their opacity was set to a very very low value (~0.001).
    A fix can be to increase largely luminosity, but it breaks rendering on previous engines and requires to redefine every ghostlight luminosity.
    Another solution is to not rely on opacity, but to use a new iray property that makes a surface invisible to primary rays (and this is what is used in the free fix script). But there are other nasty effects. For instance the surfaces remain invisible, except for reflections where the ghostlight appears in the renders.

Participant

So basically whatever form of Ghost Lights eventually will be "fixed" by Iray as the rendering engine seeks to advance real world lighting into CG?

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

I don't know what the issue is, but as you can see, in this render, there are none reflections. A simple sphere with emission and the fix and we have Ghost Light.....

Niala
    Participant

I don’t know what the issue is, but as you can see, in this render, there are none reflections. A simple sphere with emission and the fix and we have Ghost Light…..

According to the daz forums, with the fix, the ghost light appears as a dark shape in the reflections if other environment lights are present (like hdri or spot lights). Probably you have no other light in this scene.

Participant

How do I make a mesh light invisible with the new Iray without using the script? I cannot find the property anywhere.

Niala
    Participant

How do I make a mesh light invisible with the new Iray without using the script? I cannot find the property anywhere.

What does the script is to add the new properties to the surfaces. That main explain.

Otherwise, as usual you can reduce the opacity to say 0.01, but you must also multiply the intensity by 10k.

Participant

@Niala - When I applied the Create Advance Iray Node Properties script to a emmitive primitive plane all I got is the option of Enable Iray Matte but no Iray Visible to Primary Rays option.

Why not just use a point light with geometry added and Render Emitter turned off?

Niala
    Participant

Probably the create advanced iray node properties has not been updated to display this new property.
    You should try to use the script, but some people indicate problems with it.

A point light will either be visible or, if rendered invisible, will not provide any lighting. That is interest of ghost lights to be able to light a scene while being invisible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 160 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like