4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)

Home Page Forums General Chat 4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Participant

>A point light will either be visible or, if rendered invisible, will not provide any lighting. That is interest of ghost lights to be able to light a scene while being invisible.

I created a point light, changed its geometry to sphere(or any shape), made the sphere bigger, turn render emitter off. The light's geometry is invisible in the render but still illuminates and casts shadows. Isn't this the same as using Ghost Light?

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

Probably you have no other light in this scene.

@hamster
    Interesting..Well there is one spotlight in the scene in front of the character and I have not seen a dark shape. But I will check this.

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

I made a package with the whole scene included links...
    you can find it Here.
    Have fun with No reflection

Danny
    Participant

I rolled back to version 4.16, but now GOZ for DAZ 4.16 is not available to me
    Maybe someone can share?

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

4.20 works pretty well - it shuts down faster now, and renders a lot faster now (not sure if it's the upgrade to the latest NVIDIA Studio Driver that I did right before installing DS, though.)

Ethiopia
    Participant

The problem I have with 4.20 and all the other recent updates is, shouldn't they be working on 5 instead of updating a program that they say is going to be replaced soon?
    Last year they said that 5 would be out the beginning of 2022. With news of the recent call for programmers by Tafi, I get the feeling that all is not well there and that 5 is no where near ready. Maybe it never will be.

Frank21
    Participant

@Pooper You say it renders faster. How much better render times are you getting? Do you have the previous install to do a comparison test on a scene?

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

I did check against existing scenes I'd done before. While I didn't clock it, I'd say it's around 10-15% faster, if I were to venture a guess.

Sheep
    Participant

I thought daz 5 was postpone after they rolled out Daz for mac. They were rushing for daz 5 because they thought they needed it to roll it out for mac compatibility. So we don't even know if they're working on daz 5 anymore or if they're gonna take their time on it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514751/daz-studio-5-preview-release-is-delayed-and-that-s-good-news/p1

Ethiopia
    Participant

I see this as an excuse for not having it ready yet. More and more, I'm convinced that they're stumbling along with not enough programmers and staff. The ones who are working on it seem to make things worse for every one thing they improve.

Frank21
    Participant

I had a look on the Daz benchmarking thread about render times in 4.20 but nobody's used it to do a comparison benchmark, or any benchmarks with 4.20. 10-15% faster might tip me over to 4.20 but I'll wait a bit until I see some concrete figures.

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

For the old bags, "Cat Zeus"

4.16 3 min 31 sec
    4.20 2 min 40 sec
    SSim finished by 100% I stop rendering ( Pic)
    Picture size: 1800X2546

Render settings

Cage
    Participant

25% quicker. Cool. Shows what a little software optimization can do. Now imagine a proper framework under the hood 🙂

Frank21
    Participant

In that case I'm tempted to upgrade @Lucafeelgood, not that my renders ever take more that 40min at the most. What do you mean, "SSim finished by 100% I stop rendering"? My main concern is still Ghost Lights because I'm so dependent on them. I know there are work-arounds but I might wait to see what KindredArts comes up with for 4.20.

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

@frank22 Reaches the render 100%, I stop (hit esc) the render.
    When you use the render setup as I show in the picture, Render time is much faster but sometime, the render quality is not 100%. So I stopped rendering at 100% to compare the render time for my test.
    I always us this render setup. It is fast and if you find the render quality not satisfying, You just keep it running. But mostly I am happy with the render.
    The best way to explain. Just try the setup.
    Sorry for my pronunciation,, English is not my mother language.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 160 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like