Home Page › Forums › General Chat › 4.20.0.2 and up (4.21.1.13)
- This topic has 147 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 9 months ago by
slender331man.
-
AuthorPosts
-
February 19, 2022 at 11:47 PM #1778299
>A point light will either be visible or, if rendered invisible, will not provide any lighting. That is interest of ghost lights to be able to light a scene while being invisible.
I created a point light, changed its geometry to sphere(or any shape), made the sphere bigger, turn render emitter off. The light's geometry is invisible in the render but still illuminates and casts shadows. Isn't this the same as using Ghost Light?
February 20, 2022 at 8:08 AM #1778372Probably you have no other light in this scene.
@hamster Interesting..Well there is one spotlight in the scene in front of the character and I have not seen a dark shape. But I will check this.
February 20, 2022 at 11:51 AM #1778433I made a package with the whole scene included links...
you can find it Here.
Have fun with No reflectionFebruary 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM #1778443I rolled back to version 4.16, but now GOZ for DAZ 4.16 is not available to me
Maybe someone can share?February 21, 2022 at 8:05 PM #17788274.20 works pretty well - it shuts down faster now, and renders a lot faster now (not sure if it's the upgrade to the latest NVIDIA Studio Driver that I did right before installing DS, though.)
February 22, 2022 at 7:22 AM #1778934@Pooper You say it renders faster. How much better render times are you getting? Do you have the previous install to do a comparison test on a scene?
February 22, 2022 at 4:54 PM #1779014I did check against existing scenes I'd done before. While I didn't clock it, I'd say it's around 10-15% faster, if I were to venture a guess.
February 22, 2022 at 11:54 PM #1779120I thought daz 5 was postpone after they rolled out Daz for mac. They were rushing for daz 5 because they thought they needed it to roll it out for mac compatibility. So we don't even know if they're working on daz 5 anymore or if they're gonna take their time on it.
February 23, 2022 at 3:33 AM #1779185I had a look on the Daz benchmarking thread about render times in 4.20 but nobody's used it to do a comparison benchmark, or any benchmarks with 4.20. 10-15% faster might tip me over to 4.20 but I'll wait a bit until I see some concrete figures.
February 23, 2022 at 8:43 AM #1779275For the old bags, "Cat Zeus"

4.16 3 min 31 sec
4.20 2 min 40 sec
SSim finished by 100% I stop rendering ( Pic)
Picture size: 1800X2546Render settings
February 23, 2022 at 9:45 AM #177928625% quicker. Cool. Shows what a little software optimization can do. Now imagine a proper framework under the hood 🙂
February 23, 2022 at 8:18 PM #1779396In that case I'm tempted to upgrade @Lucafeelgood, not that my renders ever take more that 40min at the most. What do you mean, "SSim finished by 100% I stop rendering"? My main concern is still Ghost Lights because I'm so dependent on them. I know there are work-arounds but I might wait to see what KindredArts comes up with for 4.20.
February 24, 2022 at 8:58 AM #1779531@frank22 Reaches the render 100%, I stop (hit esc) the render.
When you use the render setup as I show in the picture, Render time is much faster but sometime, the render quality is not 100%. So I stopped rendering at 100% to compare the render time for my test.
I always us this render setup. It is fast and if you find the render quality not satisfying, You just keep it running. But mostly I am happy with the render.
The best way to explain. Just try the setup.
Sorry for my pronunciation,, English is not my mother language.February 26, 2022 at 9:38 AM #1780059Just gave 4.20 a spin... meh, can't benchmark much on a potato.
Except for closing, I found out that Studio now takes a stupid insane long time to dump the scene assets when closing. All other previous versions did a rather quick job of it. This version uses 25% CPU and takes its sweet time to drop each node from memory for some reason.
Otherwise, it seems to behave just the same.
I haven't come across the red skin thing some people are reporting, and IDC about ghost lights, never was a fan. I feel like if you're relying on ghost lighting, you're doing it wrong. The closest I come is a parabolic mesh light in front of the camera and use a section plane to exclude it from Iray. You get all the light and none of the geometry.March 2, 2022 at 3:17 AM #1781115Ever try turning off quality and kicking up render time/samples and just stopping it when you feel like it?
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.



