Not trying to start an argument

Home Page Forums General Chat Not trying to start an argument

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    silverboaX
    Participant

I disagree with a lot of what's been said here. I only started using DAZ recently so all g8 for me...

Pretty much everything I've tried to use from older models works fine with g8, you might need to do a little work with weights but often just add a smoothing modifier and go.

No digital model looks real, not the kind of stuff that's commercially accessible anyway... If you want a posable doll with dress-ups you get to deal with all the issues that come with a rigged/weighted mesh. If you want 'reality' you bake out a mesh and manually edit all the little bends and muscle movements, you don't use an off the shelf model from a piece of software. Until we have fully-rigged physical models and the computers to run them, you'll never get realism in a poseable mesh.

iRay works fine, you don't need a lot of effort to make a decent render if you know what you're doing... It's physically based, you need to use it like you're using real lighting. It's not as good as using a dedicated renderer, but that's the point of dedicated renderers... if you want to spend an extra couple of hours on every scene converting and updating textures for an external render engine, awesome.

----

FWIW I think the majority or renders people post here on zone are pretty bad, so I don't think the tools are the issue.

The image adam posted above as his ideal of a good render is plastic as. Looks like she put sunscreen on and didn't rub it in enough 😀

It's all subjective, and honestly, if you put in the time with a DAZ iRay render you'll get a pretty good result. If you put in the extra time with an external renderer you'll get an even better result.

The iRAy implementation in substance painter gives a better result than DAZ iRAy IMO, but that's subjective and mostly because of its post-processing... DAZ iRay doesn't offer much in the way of post effects.

ADAM
    Participant

Ibe seen shaders make a huge difference.
    Ill stsrt to play with those settings eventually.

I didn't even look to see if he credits a character.

ADAM
    Participant

http://images.wisegeek.com/woman-with-long-hair-using-mineral-oil-on-skin.jpg

If you shaved her head, youd probably have to look twice to see if she was real.

open in new window.

silverboaX
    Participant

shaders are the major difference for realism, but they are also what's really going to cost you in render time. to do skin right its all about subsurface scattering, the really good stuff you see has been tweaked like crazy.

definitely recommend keyshot if you want an 'easy' external renderer to take a look at. It's _fairly_ straightforward to use.

vRay is what I usually use in 3dsMAX but it is a fairly complex renderer.

These days I honestly don't care what I use, as long as it looks decent to me, which is a lot more about using the tools you have well (scene setup, lighting, shaders), than about how good the tools are.

Dragon
    Participant

I recently discovered shaders and they're awesome. My collection is growing.

ADAM
    Participant

Well.... Most stuff i either have or can get here.

Id rather stay away from PS as much as possible but im fairly comfortable with it.

Since id like realism or as close to it as I can get,
    Could you formulate a basic started bundle I would need.
    keyshot, daz, ect... And some settings for Daz skin, shaders, keyshot, that you use frequently.

Thanks.

silverboaX
    Participant

pic

This is literally -
    Loaded victoria8 HD
    added coco dress
    added updo hair, tweaked hair morphs a little for shape
    Set pose
    Added a slight smile morph

Render

No messing with lighting.

I only let this render run for 20 minutes so it'll get a lot sharper if I let it run for an hour or so.

The hair is the worst thing in this render, not a good shader.

ADAM
    Participant

I like the hair. It has wild strands like real hair. Eyebrows are painted on though. Would be interesting to see a little light bleed through the thin parts of her nose. Not sure if the light source would be considered strong enough to have that effect. It's a very good render but, I'm not sure we're it would be considered better than the one I lined. My eye isnt as finely tuned as some artists though and my vision is not what it use to be. I've seen some WOW images on deviant art. Most of those tweek the skin shader. As far as models go. I think if you drop a nice texture on a well lit V4, G2, G3, G8 ect... It will look great. All you need to for older folks is to remember what images brought you to poser/daz.

silverboaX
    Participant

For sure, all I’m saying is you can eat a good render out of the DAZ implementation of iRay with no real effort. That was just with DAZs fairly poor environment lightmap, just throwing in a better HDRI image would make a difference.

My point is simply DAZ is ok, when someone says you can’t make good renders in it, or it’s hard, it’s just not true... off the shelf model, default lighting, decent result.

coolcat
    Participant

I don't know about the rest of you but as far as realism goes I have only seen one render since I have been doing this stuff where I thought is that real or not ? I cant remember who tagged the link here but it was of a Asian female and it was not rendered in Daz or Poser it was a different program according to the artist.

Ethiopia
    Participant

I've stuck with V4 because of her wardrobe and accessories. Despite doing exclusively sick, twisted, warped, weird, strange, bizarre, perverted and just plain messed up shit....all my figures sport clothing (what you can't see is far sexier than what you can see). All the Genesis figures combined have nowhere near as large and varied a clothing collection as good old Vicky Fourpointtwoplusplus. Neither do they have the massive collections of poses and expressions. I apply the Iray uber base shader then fiddle a bit with Iray shaders for specific textures. The results look just fine to me, and I always get positive comments in the pervo-sicko forums where I post my shit.
    I've given each new doll an honest try but the clothing converters don't work well especially for shoes. While I know that others have success with them, I'm not willing to spend the time screwing around. As much as I love learning new shit (I'm a huge Blender fan and user), with Daz I just want a 'quickee', Load-dress-pose-render-post and repeat.

Corbeau
    Participant

Interesting conversation.
    The problem with realism is that it is relative.... I would say that a good render is "pretty" or "scary" or "puzzling", it is not a math and physics competition, it must convey an emotion (which will differ among the spectators). V4 and 3DL was not realist but there were excellent renders in various "genres".
    Regarding the models, I tend to go on using G3F because I have a huge collection of "characters" (with names, histories and so on). I add some G8F (but I find them generally less pleasing, but that's personal) but I do not see a real improvement and I hate the eyebrow part (a useless complication). Strangely, the most interesting character for me is George (G3M), a pity no real clothes are fitting him.
    As an aside I wonder the real efficiency of dForce, I have a poor impression but I may be too lazy and impatient.

Ethiopia
    Participant

I haven't played with Dforce yet despite my enthusiasm for it. I tend to dress my girls in long flowing robes and gowns, and have gotten quite good with using dforms to drape them. I gotta load 4.1 and get busy experimenting.
    ...after I spend the day behind my snowblower that is.

"*grumble, grumble*, effing winter."

PhantomF4
    Participant

dForce is both a blessing and a curse. I can say that dForce in DAZ Studio is a lot less of a resource hog on my system that the cloth modifier or even mCloth in 3DS Max. Also, you don't have to have an engineering degree to figure it out. Just keeping collisions from occuring, weight mapping, and wind nodes will get you where you want to be.

But those damn explosions!!!!!

PhantomF4
    Participant

I occasionally check ShibaShake's Think, Draw, Art! site for tutorials and he came up with this little gem. for all of you that use V4 assets, this should be right up your alley.

https://thinkdrawart.com/daz-studio-dynamic-cloth-dforce-tutorial-for-beginners

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like