Manual Install to DS

Home Page Forums General Chat Manual Install to DS

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Shane S
    Participant

And saying that, Since I just reinstalled Daz3d, Which character should i install first, to get a good structure started (G8)?

eelgoo

Start with G8F only....It will make things simpler to start out.

All the daz made items that come in pro & starter bundles with a number suffix are base add-on characters.

My nomenclature is in the format:

Vendor, Base Character, Character name, SKU ref.

In this case it would make it:

FW V8Gia Astrid [DZ54787]
    It would sit in the Genesis 8 Female / Characters / FW folder.

As it is for a base add on character, which is fairly unusual it would be listed after all the 'FW V8' G8F based characters.

You will also find that characters for an add-on base character will usually work quite well on the base G8F, they will just look slightly different.

eelgoo

All the base add on characters I have installed the Characters folder, along with a folder for each merchant.

Shane S
    Participant

and exactly where do i put stuff. I just opened up my newly installed daz and it loaded all my previous content. ugh. So i am uninstalling, removed all content and reinstalling now

Shane S
    Participant

So i reinstalled and went to load a G8 base character and I get this error
    https://postimg.cc/V00bhnFP

eelgoo

I think it is looking for your old My Library installation.

I work from an external My Library & point DS to it from a drop down within DS

In the Content Library Right click Daz Studio Formats & select 'Add a base Directory.'

I find it easier to maintain it when it is external from DS.

eelgoo

Have a look on page 2 of this thread for my My Library set up.

ADAM
    Participant

poser was the most confusing setup. Character files under objects and textures under poses. I only have to do mild tweeking for Daz. 3 file sections where characters actually go under characters. Ive change the layout around a bit a few times but generally keep it simple. I like chataters alphabetically now. at one time i had them by race. Now i scaled them down to probably 30. Im sure I'll change the set up again but with daz its really easy. takes me 3 click vs posers 12. I miss a few thing about poser but file organization and content arent one of them.

eelgoo

Too true. Studio is a breeze to look after in comparison with Poser! :00

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi eelgoo! I think I remember going over this with you back on KAT ages ago. I just got a new computer and a renewed interest in DAZ so I am starting fresh, but I'm not off to a good start. Would you mind helping troubleshoot what I did wrong?

eelgoo

OK it is pretty late here, but I'll try & help.

What is the issue?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If its a bad time I can wait. Don't stay up on my account.

Anyway, whenever you get a chance, this is my problem. As a test of my current system I tried to manually install Overgrown Mossy Ruin Path. So my structure looks like this:
    DAZ 3D > Studio > My Library > Environments > Wilderness > 3D Scenery - Overgrown Mossy Ruin Path

Then in that folder there are Documentation, Runtime, and Templates.

It looks right to me, but when I run DAZ I can't seem to load any of it into a scene. I don't know if it's the file structure or if I'm just so rusty with DAZ that I'm using it wrong.

eelgoo

Right, that sounds like it might be a Poser style installation.
    If you wish to run it as a Poser item, it needs to be in My Library / Poser Runtime / Runtime & then you will see it, provided you access it via the Poser format tree.

If it is a DS installation it will need that Runtime merged with the DS Runtime to find the mats.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, so now I've got:
    DAZ 3D > Studio > My Library > Poser Runtime > Runtime > Environments > Wilderness > 3D Scenery - Overgrown Mossy Ruin Path

But in DAZ it's showing the folders under DAZ Studio Formats.

eelgoo

Right OK so that sounds like the second option I mentioned.
    The Runtime needs to be merged with the Runtime in My Folder then.

If you can't get it to work, send me the files you are trying to install & I'll see if I can get them working on my installation.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like