Manual Install to DS

Home Page Forums General Chat Manual Install to DS

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    SirComeNavigate
    Participant

oTL I don't suppose you have an example of a neatly organized Runtime folder, if there is such a thing?

eelgoo

Yep...

If you read through this thread from the start, it has screenshots of my My Library installation.

🙂

SirComeNavigate
    Participant

Okay, I reread the thread and I think I figured out what I was missing before. So you don't put the entire folder of everything from one file in one place. Using my Overgrown Mossy Ruin Path as an example, what I was doing was throwing everything in it into the Poser Runtime > Runtime > Overgrown Mossy Ruin Path folder when instead I need folders for it in each of the Documentation, Runtime, and Templates folders. Have I got that right?

eelgoo

It sounds like you are on the right track there.
    DS is flexible enough to cope with most methods of organisation, provided you stick to a defined system.
    In my 'My Library' I do not install documentations or Read Mes, or Templates.
    They stay in the Archive part of my system, but that is up to you if you feel you need them in the installation.
    File nomenclature & location has to be maintained for the system to work well.
    It is a mistake to trust automated installation methods, as they will fire the content anywhere the vendor has put it.
    They cannot be trusted to do things the same way twice, so quite quickly you are on a path to disorganisation.
    As I said earlier, if it would help, if you send me the product file in question, I will re-organise it how it would be in my system & send it back to you, for you to see how I would do it.
    🙂

eelgoo

One of the most important folders in the 'My Library' folder is the 'Data' folder.
    This holds a lot of important non user facing files that should be installed as the vendor provided them.
    Any vagiaries in that folder are not seen by the user, so will not cause confusion or upset the layout or organisation.

🙂

inc3d
    Participant

Hi Eelgoo, so far it's going quite well, you are quite right, even the same vendor cannot be trusted to do things the same way twice.

How do you handle your 'Daz Originals and a vendor' content ? For example Mousso does some content with Daz and some on her own, I would be leaning to leave it under Mousso instead of creating a Daz Originals & Mousso vendor, how do you handle that ?
    i.

eelgoo

All characters are in a main folder with a subfolder for each vendor, regardless of store source, so for example all Mousso output is in the one folder.
    With my system of nomenclature they will sort alphabetically by character name.
    Eg Mousso V8 Izanami will appear before Mousso V8 Joanna

🙂

inc3d
    Participant

Yep, that's the way I'm doing it.

SirComeNavigate
    Participant

What's the best way to send you the file? I think the visual would really help. I want to be sure I'm getting this right because I know it will be worth it to start with everything all organized.

eelgoo

That's true.
    Upload it to mega & PM me the link?

SirComeNavigate
    Participant

Hi again! I've finally got the time to get back to this project and so far everything is working! Even the Poser stuff! So now I just need to pick how I want to sort everything and just do it, which is gonna take a long time but should be worth it. Thanks so much for helping me out.

eelgoo

You are welcome! 🙂

As I have said earlier, everyone has to configure the archive in a manner that makes sense to their logic & workflow.
    As with any system, to be effective it has to be maintained properly & file nomenclature & folder heirarchy are the cornerstones of that.

🙂

Paul (Fuzzy3000)
    Participant

Hi,
    A very interesting and helpful thread. A lot of ideas to digest if deciding to reorganise an entire collection.
    I have just installed 4.12 to see what benefits it can provide with an RTX GPU - so now might be a good time to start with the restructure 'from-the-ground-up', ready for when it becomes an official release.
    Although I do prefer to have things organised by type of product - not vendor [maybe vendor as a tag], such as clothes, vehicles, space etc......

Do you think it would be possible [and a little cheeky to ask :)] if the thread could be converted to a .pdf. That way it could be printed as a reference to work through while sorting and simultaneously pulling any hair left.
    If it could be uploaded it would be well worth the 50 points to get at it [under custom content maybe?], and you should have some reward for helping so many out.

eelgoo

Well, I wouldn't know where to start making a pdf of it.

If someone were able to do that & send a link to me I would be prepared to post it.

Or it could be made a sticky, but we probably have too many of those anyway.

:0/

ShadowHawk
    Participant

I'm on it, Stand By......

@eelgoo
    here is your link... Let me know if I should change anything.

Eelgoo Directory Structure PDF

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like