Manual Install to DS

Home Page Forums General Chat Manual Install to DS

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Bucy
    Participant

Now that you've explained that routine of extracting to 'A xxx name inst' folder where you first re-organize your product to match your own custom runtime nomenclature / structure, I finally get what you are doing, and how clearly that makes it possible to find things again. Especially with re-zipping and re-archiving the rearranged 'xxx inst' folder back to an archived product location. I also presume that archived location is probably a separate HD or even a USB 2 Terrabyte drive that can easily be moved to a new or 2nd computer.... yes? thxs for all the detail here. really really helped.

eelgoo

Yes. That is it. You have got the idea.

If you need any further detail, just ask.

🙂

Bucy
    Participant

I hardly understand it well enough in practice to ask good questions, so if you remember anything you've left out, I'll keep watching for updates to this thread.
    Thxs again... and check your box for a little gratitude.

eelgoo

Well it wasn't expected & not required but , thanks. 🙂

If you have any further questions related to the topic, just tack them on here & I will do my best to answer them.

🙂

eelgoo

I have been asked to expand upon my Folder Structure, so I will attempt to post screen shots below.

Both my Beta & General release Studio installations work off a common external runtime.
    Here is the Root 'My Library' folder level:

Now each new installation, especially characters typically consists of files which live in the 'Data'
    'People' & 'Runtime' folders above.
    I strongly suggest you do not edit the 'Data' folder unless you are really confident in what you are doing there,
    so that should be left as is from the files to be installed.

eelgoo

As I have said there are many ways to organise your content,
    but you should use or develop a system that makes sense to you to ease your workflow.

In the 'People' folder the next level down is this:
    ( For clarity, all V4 stuff is installed in my 'Poser Runtime' folder, so will not be in this folder tree).

eelgoo

As an example we will look at the G8F tree, all of them are basically the same format.

Lets take a look in the 'Character' folder.
    This is just an extract of the next level to show the organisation:

eelgoo

As an example here is my VYK folder for G8F

(Note I use V7 in the filename for G3F characters & V8 for G8F characters as it eases sorting issues in my archive ).

Once folk have digested this I will expand further.

🙂

Laser
    Participant

Thanks for your explenations, sorry about another questions, it is for clarification.

Do you have the same folder structure on ’Data’, ’People’ & ‘Runtime’ folders ?

Or do you just copy/paste all extracted ’Data’ content into ’Data’ folder without changes ?

My Library/People/Genesis8Female/Characters/VYK/VYK V8 Ruby.png

My Library/Data/

Kind regards

eelgoo

Just a copy / paste on that, I don't mess with the Data folder.
    Texture files in the Runtime folder I may edit, but usually leave the same path as default

Here is a typical Character 'Inst' folder, which I archive zipped with the source files.

null

eelgoo

eelgoo

Here is the Clothing folder for G8F

Let's just take a look in the Casual Folder

...and OOT

This is the same format for all the Clothing sub folders.

Primarily the custom nomenclature & file heirarchy is organised for the user facing files.

🙂

fasttam
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas.
    I can understand the structure for "people". But for props or buildings how you organize the contents?

coolcat
    Participant

eelgoo yours looks a lot cleaner and better organized then mine would you be avalable to do some house cleaning ? lol 🙂

eelgoo

OK Props & Buildings.

Right, it will take a while to screenshot, but I will post when I have it sorted.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like