Manual Install to DS

Home Page Forums General Chat Manual Install to DS

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    eelgoo

Many thanks to ShadowHawk

I posted that link in the sticky

General Freebie Links.

🙂

eelgoo

@tomsk has been kind enough to make this a sticky.
    So at least I won't have to keep searching for it to reference it for folks.

Thanks a lot, mate!

🙂

Aftyrbyrn
    Participant

If you put stuff in wrong folders, it can break some products though. You'll have to re-associate textures with products. Uncompressed DUF files are just JSON files. You can use powershell to update paths, i'm not going in to that, because i hate teaching, but if you are clever enough with power shell, (or a text editor) you can super orgranize your stuff. Just wanted to throw that out there if anyone was as much as a geek as me. I do a lot of file reads, decompress, decrypts so i can convert and import directly to VAM (Virt-a-mate sandbox)

I usually user powershell and do
    $objDufFile = GET-CONTENT A:\DAZ3D\StudioLibrary\exports\blablah.duf | convertfrom-json

then edit the object with powershell and update paths, but also remember that dufs and other dsf files use / instead of \ in their paths.

but that's just me. maybe one day i'll create a gui duf inspector. maybe.

eelgoo

Yes, that is really the next level.

What I am trying to do here is explain how to keep a coherent, organised runtime (My Library) in fairly simple terms.

🙂

Rycharde
    Participant

Ok... Having a wee bit of trouble with executable installs of assets. EVERY time I try one of these I get errored out. It doesn't matter what asset I am attempting to install if it is an executable Daz3D product I have yet to succeed.

For instance: The Scuola. Jumped through several hoops including what is written here but...

Could you make it CRYSTAL clear how I can go through a manual install or any install through from start to stop?

eelgoo

Well, I took a long time drafting this out, step by step including exe extraction, covered in the first post of the thread.

If you upload the file you are struggling with I will see if I can make a manual install folder for you.

AnjaBear

@rycharde you can ask someone to install the exe locally on their machine for you, and then zip up the installed results for you.

Essentially the old .exe installers would install to your runtime, BUT, keep in mind this particular product was created for use with POSER, it came out before Daz Studio even existed. So it will lead you thru the steps to install to your "Poser Runtime" location, which means it is looking for the location of your now "Daz Studio Content", but the "Runtime" folder inside of it.

Essentially the best way to do this is simply install the EXE contents to a TEMP directory and look at it, and then manually copy the resulting files over your DS Runtime space so they folders line up.

Hugs,
    Anja

eelgoo

Yep. That is pretty much what I said in the first post. 🙂

Rycharde
    Participant

If I understood you instructions on running the manual install on executables, I have tried it several times but...

The Scuola.rar

img1
    img2
    img3

directory structure for instal

eelgoo

OK I'll give it a shot for you.
    I suspect it may be a pathing issue.
    🙂

eelgoo

It extracted fine for me.

Either your path is too long or it does not recognize the underscore in the folder name.

I just named my folder 'Extract' & placed a dummy DS exe in it to fool the installer.

If you still can't get it to work, I'll upload the extracted files for you.
    Please let me know.
    🙂

Rycharde
    Participant

D'oh! It worked when I dropped the folder into the root.

You'd never know I made the transition from DOS to Windows ****

I forgot the character length of the directory name or non-ASCII names. Blank spaces and such. And I was in the tech community too. Windows 10 has softened me up a bit.

Thanx much and sorry for the bother. 🙂

eelgoo

Its fine. Sometimes the obvious gets overlooked. 🙂

Ethiopia
    Participant

I'm late to this discussion but want to thank you @eelgoo for this tutorial. I find it odd that I found Poser's runtime structure easy-peasy and straight forward to work with but always pulled my hair out with Studio's. I normally use Vicky Fourpointtwoplusplus because of her massive wardrobe that still puts Genesis's to shame. I'm just starting to use that Genesis 8 slut a bit and wanted to start my content directories the right way.
    Thanks ever so much!

eelgoo

You are very welcome, and I am pleased you found it useful.
    Any specific questions either put it on this thread or PM me, and I will try to help out.
    🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like