Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Home Page Forums General Chat Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    silverboaX
    Participant

I figured i'd try engaging on an art critic level to elicit some sort of potential human response. But I guess we can be safe in the knowledge that when the robots rise, they won't actually _understand_ art.

ADAM
    Participant
    Dragon
    Participant

I really despise the use of the word "subjective" when it comes to art and the quality of art. Art is NOT subjective. Ones view and opinion of art is subjective.
    As I've stated before in other threads, you can go to DeviantArt and see crap pieces that people RAVE about. While good and even awesome art goes unnoticed.
    This doesn't make the crap pieces good or the good pieces crap.
    I've seen too many instances where opinions are based solely on the view of the artist, and not their art. This is unfortunate because the artist won't grow. They get the rave reviews of their crap art and think its good, so they keep repeating. Then others do crap art and it spreads. Crap art becomes standard. When someone comes along and constructively criticizes, then the lemming fans jump on that person and start using the word "subjective" in order to defend the crap art.
    Personally, I'm not the best artist, but I know I'm decent and I appreciate good art. I'm not going to win any contests here or any other public forum type voting venue. That doesn't stop me from learning and growing. I can't turn the minds of those who have been conditioned to like or produce bad art.

Cassandre
    Participant

@drgnmztr I agree with you. Also I can not like a certain style of art, but I can appreciate it. I don't mind if people doesn't like what I do but I appreciate a good feedback. It makes me evolve as an artist and it makes me happy to look at old renders and see how my art changed. @jason 's idea about contests may be a bit demanding but I can appreciate where it comes from. It could push us to better ourselves and others.

PhantomF4
    Participant

It was @eelgoo that said:

What is ruffling folks feathers is the ‘I’m right you are wrong! You have to do it this way’ stance.

Very true. @drgnmztr and @miarka have both summed up a good middle ground stance perfectly.

The truth is, when I have the time, I'll read every one of the posts @Jason has put up. I'll apply what I wish and discard what I don't, but I'll be more knowledgeable about art fundamentals whether I embrace the material or not.

And @hawkeye, I didn't appreciate your comments to Morri, but I apologize for what I said about you to another member. That was petty and I've been bothered by it ever since.

Dragon
    Participant

Thanks @miarka and @robf4g210.

As a digital scifi fantasy artist, I fight a straight vertical cliff battle.
    1) I paint digitally, not traditionally.
    2) I do Sci-fi and Fantasy not mundane.

The ignorance of the public is astounding.
    People are awed by my work. Then they ask how. I say on a computer. Their faces drop and they walk away without a word. Common ignorant view: You're not a real artist. You pressed a button on your computer and voila. Instant art.
    They have no clue that my work flow, time and knowledge is similar to that of a traditional artist, only without all the tangible supplies.

Then there's the genre battle. Everybody loves our "Happy little tree and cloud Guy", Mr Bob Ross. But throw a Dragon into the forest or a scifi city into the background and suddenly you're not an artist anymore. People snub your work.

And don't even get me started on DAZ/Poser work. @robf4g210 and I have already talked about the animosity towards that. LOL

My point being, it takes just as much talent to do scifi and fantasy as it does a landscape scene or a bowl of fruit.

I actually love Jason's idea and wish all contests everywhere would incorporate it. The downside is, there's a lot of hobbyists that just don't care.

3Danimenut
    Participant

@drgnmztr
    digitally art is still art IMHO...i can't draw traditionally anymore myself, hands are too tore up. I use a graphics art tablet and Paintshop Pro too do all of my work, mostly Japaneses anime style stuff, but I've been know to do a mountain scene or landscapes from time to time.

Dragon
    Participant

@3danimenut101 BLASPHEMY! ROFLMTO 🙂
    I agree 1 billion percent. Of course its art. And you have to apply the same basics and principles and rules as traditional. But the ignorance of the masses blinds their appreciation. I've even heard traditional pros say it.
    Computers are just another tool, like a paint brush or tea bag.

I love my tablet and PS6. I'd still be doing strictly pencil and pen and ink if not for my graphics tablet. I can't paint traditionally. Never got the hang of it.

ADAM
    Participant

While digital art is art, I will say that I believe that painting without the aid of a computer is more difficult.

I can delete easy without having to start fresh.
    I can change light in one click.
    I can change an angle without a new canvas.
    ect...

I wish I had the ability to actually paint or draw what I can do with a few clicks. One reason I like photography. I can capture in a second what I wish I could draw.

With preset photoshop brushes, layers on layers, color palette, ect..
    It still takes effort and skill but, its greatly reduced.

silverboaX
    Participant

Nope, if you can art you can art. Being able to produce work in digital doesn't make you an artist. The lack of constraint in digital actually makes creating good art harder, which is why the internet is full of trash.

Trying 20 filters till you get one that 'looks good' isn't art, knowing what you want and trying 20 different filters until you get the effect you were trying to get is art.

Cassandre
    Participant

Daz/Poser or any other kind of programs like that is art. It is very much similar as photography and it takes time to master it. Like photography, you have to place lights, dress your subject and pose it, choose your set, apply settings to your camera... Yes, the computer render, but it render your vision, your art. And also, like many photographers, we use programs like PS to workout the kinks and enhance our renders. I said it's neither easy or an un-creative process.

coolcat
    Participant

@Miarka you said what I was thinking 🙂

ADAM
    Participant

This is art. I wouldnt say its good but it IS art and it will get better.
    https://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/woodworking-and-crafts/kids-art-easel/project

This is art. I would say it is very good to my taste. I also would say it is easier to create than the next image.

https://www.boredpanda.com/i-discovered-digital-art-and-revived-the-artist-in-me/

I would say that painting oil on canvas is harder than painting an image on a computer. It takes a different set of skills but, can you give me a few reasons why it is NOT easier?
    http://www.top13.net/realism-art/

I like this image and I would say it is art. If you think this would be easier as an oil painting, take less time, require less materials, less though materials to be used, then I guess Ill change my mind.
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/439991/

This would take a few hours or less for a seasoned Daz Artist. Would take a long while for a 3d modeler. No idea the time. But for a sculpture? I guess he could 3d print it but then its just a copy then.

http://technology.inquirer.net/64487/uplift-sculpture-stirs-debate-on-art-originality

ADAM
    Participant

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/art

The question is what isnt art?

Designing a Car to planting a flower garden can be considered art.

Cassandre
    Participant

@d0gg0d : I understand what you say, but I don't think time is requirement for art. In that case, photography isn't an art because you only have to push a button. I think art is something that provokes an opinion, a feeling. But I agree when other members say that there is bad and good art. Some changes to materials or lighting can improve a render greatly.

Depending of what feelings you want to pass to your viewers, your objectives or even in the case of a contest, you have to adjust yourself. You can't just say "Well, this is what I want to project and f*** you all who don't understand", if the message isn't understood, there's a problem. Maybe, just maybe, members should explain their render and share their vision.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like