Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Home Page Forums General Chat Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    jason david
    Participant

What I am trying to make some people see is that art is a serious fun not just fun.
    @Morri I don't see how art has rules but that these rules are subjective....so they aren;t rules at all then
    The thing about a general chat is that some people don't think it's serious.
    I am still trying to show that art is SERIOUS FUN not just fun
    If someone wants to learn how to analyse paintings there is a course here
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/homepage/389/analysing_paintings
    Another useful link why someone needs to learn composition is this one
    https://photographyconcentrate.com/10-reasons-why-you-need-to-learn-composition/
    Habits to break
    https://photographyconcentrate.com/6-bad-photography-habits-to-break/
    Experts can teach us things here
    https://photographyconcentrate.com/7-things-yousuf-karsh-can-teach-you-about-photography/
    and here
    https://photographyconcentrate.com/5-lessons-learned-looking-my-why/
    10 RULES of composition all designers live by and these are NOT subjective

https://www.canva.com/learn/visual-design-composition/

01. Find Your Focus
    02. Direct the Eye With Leading Lines
    03. Scale and Hierarchy
    04. Balance Out Your Elements
    05. Use Elements That Complement Each Other
    06. Boost (or Reduce) Your Contrast
    07. Repeat Elements of Your Design
    08. Don’t Forget the White Space
    09. Align Your Elements
    10. Divide Your Design Into Thirds

jason david
    Participant

@Herecles yes I know. The problem is that I just don't have time to organise or host a competition.

coolcat
    Participant

I agree with @nemain posting comments on a persons work in the middle of a contest to me does not seem to be the right time or place, how about if your comment influences someone elses's vote, it does just not seem fair to the artist.
    But if you host a contest and that's the way you want it your rules rule!

Drazzilkniks
    Participant

That's a good point @coolcat, I hadn't thought of the possibility of comments influencing other peoples votes. I guess comment and critique if you really have something of value to add can be done via pm or after the votes have been tallied.

ADAM
    Participant

A woman in a documentary I watch made book from the photos of cameras she gave poor children. She used the profit from the book to put them in schools. These children were given no rules or directions other than how to operate the camera.

KIS

jason david
    Participant

@Adam I guess you missed page 1
    The Importance of Composition:
    Composition is important because it makes visual communication easier to comprehend. It is similar to grammar in that both:
    • can be analyzed in terms of rules.
    • are acquired naturally by children without formal study.
    • can be exercised fluently without conscious thought.
    However, while children retain their grammatical abilities as they mature, they usually lose their natural abilities to compose an image

jason david
    Participant

The rule of thirds is the same thing for everyone
    it's called by what it means no subjective interpretation
    a female standing and behind is a pack of old cars
    and the fibonacci sequence is the same for everyone as Fibonacci was a MATHEMATICIAN golden ratio

PhantomF4
    Participant

@jason

It seems as though you’re giving us homework, as if we are expected to study the mountains of art theory and mechanics before casting our vote. Is that realistic?

I’m with @d0gg0d. KISS (I added the extra S cause that’s how I learned it). If I like an entry the best, I’m voting for it.

PhantomF4
    Participant

When I was kid every picture I took of people cut their heads off. Lol

Morri
    Participant

@jason I know this comment is probably going to drive you nuts but I'm going to say it anyway:

There may be rules to art but I don't care. I would say most people don't care. What I care about is does it make me feel something? Do I have a visceral reaction to it? Do I want to look at it again? The "rules" of art are just where people have worked out the elements that are going to cause positive reactions in the viewer through many centuries of trial and error. But ultimately, I feel that art is about telling a story with your image, taking the viewer on a journey with you and expressing your feelings. That is the definition of subjective in my mind and no amount of homework, links or videos that you post is going to change my mind on that.

Herecles
    Participant

Morri..... that is obvioulsy your choice not to care, and your work will reflect that. Those that do care will appreciate someone like Jason coming along and showing a vastly different route to take to improve ones own work. Those that like to keep it simple...to break any rule, you first need to know that rule...simple.

You should consider going to college Morri.....they worship like minded people like you that don't care and don't want to learn.

PhantomF4
    Participant

Uncalled for, @hawkeye. There is no need for personal attacks.

jason david
    Participant

As simple as that Thank you very much @Herecles
    I am quoting Professor Peter von Stackelberg in this review of a webinar that he presented for DAZ STUDIO and the video is here in ZONEGFX posted by Zonemasters https://zonegfx.com/mastering-cameras-and-character-composition/
    It's called DAZ STUDIO Mastering Cameras and Character Composition
    presented by Peter von Stackelberg in the 2016 Digital Art Live webinar
    image shows professor Peter von Stackelberg

Professor Peter von Stackelberg presents a character from different camera angles and analyses the effect each angle has upon the viewer:
    image of a girl clenching her fist at the camera

Image? FIST The camera is set low and looking upward meaning it's a bottom-up angle shot which gives the character a dominant position

Character and Mood: Focus on what is it that you're trying to SAY/communicate with the image/frame?
    What's the most important element in the image?

Answer>> (lens techniques that emphasize the SIZE of the fist)
    THE FIST is the most important element>> because it is emphasized by the POSITION in the frame>>There is no real background>>the pitch-black setting is deliberate in order NOT to include other elements that could be distracting>>>The tank top with the skull adds to the MOOD. Generally, people tend to view from top left to bottom right (as that's the way you enter a page written in latin alphabet) And then they tend to move DIAGONALLY
    The viewer here enters the frame top-left and moves diagonally to come to the character's FACE based on how the light is set up. Based on the position of the lens, the viewer's eyes follow down the upper arm, swing over at the ELBOW and go to the FIST. Then there's a tendency to go BACK to the 2nd fist because it's LIGHTER and attracts your attention...and pulls you back. The FIST is at the same DIAGONAL line as the EYES...that will turn the viewer back and the eyes tend to circle AROUND that PATTERN for a bit and then POP IN ''What's this white thing underneath? It's there but it's not the first thing that's noticed.

IMAGE 2
    image of a woman clenching her fist and she is seen top down

SAME POSE SAME LIGHTING SAME CHARACTER Everything is the same except the CAMERA POSITION is Above in front of the character. She doesn't appear as IMPOSING as in the first frame: The ORGANIZATION of the image is NOT as STRONG...The path that the eyes can follow tends to get SCATTERED. The composition is not as COHERENT as the first one...
    You're not looking down upon the character you feel compassion as you're not part of that. It's not personal.
    IMAGE 3
    a female with her eyes down and her fist up

There is almost a hesitancy when you look at her eyes. She's HESITANT to do what she's about to do.

Use of diagonals in an image: Diagonals tend to create tension.
    Advice: use multiple cameras when you're creating images because a professional photographer has cameras ALL OVER the place, left right kneeling down stretching out..get as many angles and positions possible as you should look at your character from EVERY ANGLE.

jason david
    Participant

@Rob,
    Oh and to myself, too....

jason david
    Participant

@Tootsie,
    I am not questioning anybody's honesty or good will for that matter. I just noticed that voters are given anonymous productions to vote for and i thought it'd be better to let them in instead of shutting them out

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like