Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Home Page Forums General Chat Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Aftyrbyrn
    Participant

Yeah, if we make it too complicated, hardly anyone will vote. You like red, I like purple. He likes D Cups, while she likes B Cups. If you want a contest based on more criteria, then make one with some specific voting rules. We could all enter, then see how many voters vote compared to open voting. All the young guys are voting for best skin, while more experienced persons are voting based on lighting, scene composure, eye lines and personal taste.

I agree with @robf4g210, it's fun. If it gets to complicated, it's more like work. ewe.

ADAM
    Participant

@jason

I may not know the speed limit in an area and get a ticket.

Street photography is a passing passion of mine and you rarely have time to make sure your subject is perfectly aligned with the universal laws.

Herecles
    Participant

Nice try Jason, unfortunately there's just no getting through to those who seem to think they are being criticised, or alternative idea's are just nit picking and dissentful, not to mention those that like to keep things simple. This is why you always see simple renders here, apart from every once in a blue moon when you get a decent render.
    So yeah...if you want certain rules, then you gunna have to host your own contest.

And if you do decide to create one i would gladly offer points and you might even give me an incentive to enter myself, depending on subject matter of course:~}

Sunny
    Participant

personally I am getting a bit tired of people who think they have the right to tell other people how they should run a contest. Put up or shut up. In other words, you want to have certains rules, run a contest a certain way, do a contest yourself. If not then FFS shut up and let others do it their way. Last I heard, this is not a dictatorship so it is up to who ever to do it how they choose.

silverboaX
    Participant

Art doesn't have rules, various styles of art have rules. There are techniques for achieving certain goals (including things like triangular composition, the rule of thirds and fibonacci spirals).

As far as CG contests go, there absolutely are technical critiques people can make, and the idea no one here has the chops to make those criticisms is silly.

To devil's advocate for a moment: A lot of what wins the contests here _IS_ technically poor, and as i've opined many times before, doesn't even seem to fit the contest it's entered into.

That's fine if that's what the community wants, and this community seems cool with it, so whatever. If people who want more technical contests want them, then run them. The only reason I would really want to win a contest here is to have points to make a prize pool to run my own contest 😀

ADAM
    Participant

@Tootsie

Count 10, take a few deep breaths. Curl up in a blanket, drink a cup of coco and watch Princess Bride.

Youll feel better.

Morri
    Participant

I didn't say that art doesn't have rules, but it is subjective. What looks like art to one person may not be to another. I personally don't understand how draping slivers of meat over a bed is art but others think so, so yes it's subjective. There are general rules for what is tried and true in what is considered widely pleasing to the beholder and these have been codified as the rule of thirds and other such concepts.

But ultimately it comes down to the individual and what they find pleasing. And every audience is different. Here it might be lots of skin and large.... assets, in other places it might be the play of light and shadow on a brick wall.

And I believe I said we're not experts in the technical, not incapable. I could provide technical feedback on what I find pleasing or not about a piece but I don't want to get into a slinging match about why I do or don't like something.

Other people have said it - don't like the results of recent contests, then run your own or walk away.

You didn't get any votes in the contest I ran, it's a shame but I can't and won't force people to vote one way or another. Just gotta take it and keep going or walk away.

silverboaX
    Participant

Not sure why you assumed that whole thing was aimed at you, you weren't the one posting links to the golden ratio, etc.

As far as ability to judge technical aspects of art, while you might not feel comfortable doing so, that doesn't mean others feel the same, and if you read people's posts there are at least a few people here with technical art backgrounds in various media.

Also, I don't think i've entered any contests you've run so it'd be a challenge to get votes in them.

The only two contests i've entered (IIRC) were the yourself as a superhero one, which was largely NOT people doing themselves as a superhero, and the banner contests which were largely won by breasts 😉

Given that I addressed most of the points you made, and in fact my last paragraph is pretty much stating your first two paragraphs, I don't see why you're even bothering to throw shade.

Morri
    Participant

@silverboax I didn't assume that was aimed at me at all. The long posts with the links were in response to a comment I made earlier so I was responding to that. It's all good 🙂

I was responding to the OP who posted videos and long links in response to my earlier post, though I did pull in a bit about the technical aspect in reference to what you posted earlier. If others feel comfortable and knowledgeable in that space, all power to them.

Sunny
    Participant

Possibly because this is a members forum and every one has the right to have an opinion and to express that opinion with out people putting them down.

silverboaX
    Participant

@morri - all g 🙂

PhantomF4
    Participant

I think my next contest will be a wet t-shirt contest and the freebie will be the Boyfriend Tee Wet or Dry. Just kidding.

Check this link out and tell me art isn’t subjective. The artist must have laughed all the way to the bank. https://nypost.com/2013/05/15/43-8-million-for-this/

This thread is getting out of hand. We have only a small handful of pros here. Most of us are amateurs; hobbyists. Art critics, like movie critics, have opinions that do not always reflect that of the general populace. Look at the noms for best picture at the Oscars, two thirds of them I’ve never even heard of. But Star Wars has grossed over a billion because that’s what people want.

When I first read “technical”, my brain equated to “difficulty”. I see now that you mean something totally different. “Technical” is not necessarily desirable in my opinion. When I post a piece on rosity, I’m a little begrudged when someone posts 10 images of Spirograph looking lite brite photoshop symmetry images that push my image off the gallery home page. That’s not what interests me, but someone else may enjoy that.

silverboaX
    Participant

Technical isn't necessarily anal, nor does it have to crush style.

Think of things like out of focus images, or images that are too dark, we can all recognise those, those are technical fails (unless done for artistic purpose).

Poke through on clothing is a technical issue in CG.

Rendering a smurf and having it come out purple instead of blue is technical (unless you intended to make a purple smurf).

Those are all things pretty much anyone can see and comment on.

From there you might go into things like 'that wood doesn't look like wood', or 'fabric doesn't drape like that' which are definitely more noticeable to people who "art" more.

---

At the end of the day, some people like criticism and use it to improve, other people can't stand being given any negative comments. Where that sits with contests is really up to the person running the contest... and I personally don't care how they're done as long as they're internally consistent, which has been my biggest take-away from many of the contests since i've joined... the prize winners are often pieces that aren't the closest to matching the contest description.

The current astrology contest is shaping up well though, the entries seem largely on topic so it'll be interesting to see how that one pans out.

Morri
    Participant

I'm having so much trouble with inspiration for the zodiac contest that I've just about given up on coming up with something for it. But I dunno....I guess I see critiques as more of an art showcase thing than a contest thing. Sure, post it in there after the contest to get opinions but for the duration of the contest let it stand on its own merit against others.

Drazzilkniks
    Participant

I'm all for encouraging more comments/critique with voting other than just 'here are my votes/points', but at the same time I don't think it should be a requirement.
    If when you vote you can see some improvements that could be made or a piece almost got your vote but didn't and you're happy to say why, you should feel free to do so. As with the art showcase I don't comment on things when I have nothing meaningful to say (generally) and if voting on a contest required more than a "nice I like this here's my vote" then it would probably go the same way.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like