Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Home Page Forums General Chat Voters Make them Responsible for their choices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    jason david
    Participant

I was just wondering whether it is possible to make voters in contests responsible for their choices...By asking a voter to allot points from 1 to 5 for example to ALL the contestants instead of asking them to choose just 1 contestant and of course as mentioned earlier voters know the work of all the contestants in a way or another... so why not ask them to allot points on a scale from 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 for ALL the works presented in a contest WITHOUT hiding from them the creators of these works the same way judges do in contests such as swimming
    There will be for example 2 parts in a contest
    1 The Technical Merit (points 1 > 5)
    2 The Artistic Creativity (points 1 > 5)
    This way only serious voters will really dare vote as they are asked to work it out and use their brains harder before voting and I don't guarantee there'll be good results from this soon but people will think twice before entering a contest or voting instead of a few clicks and the voting is done...
    There will be of course things to consider in technical merit such as formal elements and also there should be agreement on the creativity side. Contestants also should be made responsible by asking them to specify how much originality they have put into their work by indicating at the bottom of the work the footage they used or whether a work of art was used as inspiration or other stuff but the main point is to give this artistic endeavor a whole different perspective

ADAM
    Participant

Best rule ive seen is, KIS.

Keep, It, Simple.

While it would be nice to see more info, its hassle enough for me to remember what day it is.

coolcat
    Participant

Yeah i would say you lost me already a bit to complicated.

silverboaX
    Participant

I couldn't care less if one person makes arbitrary decisions when they run a contest, that's why individuals are running contests right ? As long as they are within the guidelines they set themselves (as opposed to being the best render of tits).

Sunny
    Participant

If some one is generous enough to put points and organise a contest, then dont you think it is up to them to do the contest how they like. Contests are meant to be fun

Morri
    Participant

I have to say I agree with Tootsie, plus this isn't skating or swimming or what have you. The judging of art contests is arbitrary and down to the individual voting. Art is a subjective and none of us are experts in the technical aspect of it so how can we give any kind of score on the technical aspect of a piece?

ADAM
    Participant

I think the Mona Lisa is hideous. But some of the work on Deviant Art is amazing.

One is a free digital download and the other a priceless treasure. Go figure.

Sunny
    Participant

@jason if you wish to have a competition then you can put the rules in place that you feel you should have but there has been enough dissent over competitions which are put on by the good will of other members, and if people keep nit picking, whinging and complaining about them, we will end up losing the competitions altogether.
    You can't please everyone.

PhantomF4
    Participant

I’ve submitted entries that I thought would be a lock for 1st and didn’t even place. I’ve also submitted pieces that I really felt could have been better and they won.

I agree with the Aussies. Figure skating and platform diving have specified technical aspects that can be defined. Art, on the other hand, is super subjective. Part of the fun of the voted contests is the unpredictability of the voters. If you win, awesome. If you lose, congratulate the winners, learn what you can do better, and move on.

Like @para said, though. @jason if you think this could work, you are very welcome to give it a whirl. I would enter and I would vote based upon whatever guidelines you set.

3Danimenut
    Participant

Art to me as always been about relaxing and just letting the imagination run wild, I never even think about technical merit or creativity, i just have fun and do what ever pops into my mind...that's the best part of artist representation, what looks good to you some people may "Eh it's ok" other's may go "WOW" it's all in the eyes of the artist and there individual tastes.

jason david
    Participant

@Morri art has NEVER been subjective the way you think otherwise why would we have art critics... Art has rules like any other creative process such as cinema theatre and art is best art when it is mathematical in its composition and subtle in its creativity. Please do perform some search on the fibonacci gauge for example

or the golden ratio
    https://www.goldennumber.net/do-it-yourself/
    or here why you think there is such a thing as composition helpers in daz
    https://zonegfx.com/?s=composition+helpers
    If art were subjective meaning random why do we have schools of art and art history in the first place... art is NOT a random mastxxxxtion process it is calculated in its whole process. Colors are NOT subjective. Have you ever asked yourself why artists use diagonals and the different types of diagonals and the purposes they serve? Or any other geometrical shapes?
    Do you know that there are FORMAL ELEMENTS that make art Good ART
    Here you are

If I continue I need probably 1000 pages to show you are TOTALLY WRONG so I think I'd better stop here...
    @Rob I agree because there are no rules here but art HAS RULES

jason david
    Participant

from Photography the Art of Composition by Bert Krages

The importance of Visual Skills
    Seeing:
    Seeing is the ability to observe what is before the photographer and visualize how it will appear in an image.Many people believe that seeing is a mysterious gift, the so-called “artist’s eye.” The reality is that almost anyone can learn seeing, particularly when they understand the basic processes by which the brain perceives visual information. You should know that When processing visual information using the left hemisphere, people
    register the objects they are looking at but do not really perceive them as they actually appear.
    Seeing is easy to improve because it generally only requires the photographer to shift into the cognitive form of visualization that is controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain.
    Composition is the arrangement of visual elements so they agreeably present themselves when viewed as a whole. Composition is so intermeshed with seeing that the two are best learned
    concurrently.

Learning to See: Photographers can learn a lot about seeing and composition from fine artists who work in other two-dimensional media

By integrating the principles of neuroscience into art education, Betty Edwards, a professor emeritus at California State University, found that almost anyone can learn to draw realistically through a series of exercises that cause students to shift from the left hemisphere mode of thinking to that of the right hemisphere. Professor Edwards’ exercises progress through five skills needed for drawing realistically:
    • the perception of edges
    • the perception of spaces
    • the perception of relationships
    • the perception of lights and shadows
    • the perception of the whole

The Importance of Composition:
    Composition is important because it makes visual communication easier to comprehend. It is similar to grammar in that both:
    • can be analyzed in terms of rules.
    • are acquired naturally by children without formal study.
    • can be exercised fluently without conscious thought.
    However, while children retain their grammatical abilities as they mature, they usually lose their natural abilities to compose an image
    Composition basically comes down to determining how objects should be arranged and balanced within the boundaries of the image.

Looking at Art
    Photography is one of many forms of visual art. As such, photographers can draw on the work of artists in other media as a source of insight. Looking at art from the perspective of learning takes more than glancing at a work and making superficial judgments.

a page showing the rule of thirds in photography

ADAM
    Participant

Rules are nice and do have merit. BUT the ones that break the rules and think out of the box, are more often than not, the best. IMHO

jason david
    Participant

@Adam
    If you don't know the rules how are you going to break them?

jason david
    Participant

a snail's shell with mathematical and geometric calculations
    a snail shell with measurements using root and square root

cover of the book The Divine Proportion

The Divine Proportion: A Study in Mathematical beauty by H.E. Huntley
    http://store.doverpublications.com/0486222543.html
    Summary
    Using simple mathematical formulas, most as basic as Pythagoras's theorem and requiring only a very limited knowledge of mathematics, Professor Huntley explores the fascinating relationship between geometry and aesthetics. Poetry, patterns like Pascal's triangle, philosophy, psychology, music, and dozens of simple mathematical figures are enlisted to show that the "divine proportion" or "golden ratio" is a feature of geometry and analysis which awakes answering echoes in the human psyche. When we judge a work of art aesthetically satisfying, according to his formulation, we are making it conform to a pattern whose outline is laid down in simple geometrical figures; and it is the analysis of these figures which forms the core of Professor Huntley's book.
    For the philosopher, scientist, poet, art historian, music listener, artist, as well as the general reader who wants to understand more about the fascinating properties of numbers, this is a beautifully written, exciting account of the search for a naturally manifested aesthetic that has occupied man since he first asked the question "why?"
    "This is a delightful book to read. . . . It wanders here and there through some of the most attractive byways of simple mathematics, returning always to the oddities and pleasures of the golden section. This is a browser's book — a happy, untidy traveling or bedside book for those who know how to enjoy the charm of numbers and shapes." — Dr. J. Bronowski, The Salk Institute.

Extract from the book
    No argument would convince a blind man of the beauty of a rainbow; he must see it.
    For example, the mathematically uneducated can easily appreciate the dual symmetry of an ellipse; that is given. But the unlimited store of beauty of the conic sections is reserved for the mathematically trained: it is acquired.The neophyte must be encouraged to help himself. The Socratic method is best here, and the reason is simple. The appreciation of beauty is scarcely to be distinguished from the activity of creation. "In the moment of appreciation we ... re-enact the creative act, and we ourselves make the discovery again."1 Self-help is the royal road to intuitional glimpses of truth and to discoveries which, even at secondhand, bring with them the joy of creative activity. To summarize: to induce aesthetic pleasure, select a suitable object, acquire the relevant education and help yourself.

Here is more to learn about The Square, the Circle and the Golden Proportion to download in this PDF
    http://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2000/bridges2000-247.pdf
    More about the golden ratoio or the divine proportion download this pdf
    http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMAT6450/Class%20Projects/Foy/goldenratio.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like