Pull Up a Chair (2)

Home Page Forums General Chat Pull Up a Chair (2)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Ethiopia
    Participant

@norbertz,
    ? I'm looking at it right now....( EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 ) and it's $996 CAN. There's a used one at $450 US on Amazon.com Staples like Newegg and Tigerdirect list them as out of stock with no prices. Best Buy doesn't show them as being available. Ncix has them between $700 and $1160.

It's an academic exercise anyway since my money is being poured into one of my other hobbies.

Drazzilkniks
    Participant

as a purely academic exercise, the gtx 1050 ti is supposedly a decent card
    and also appears decently priced
    https://www.takealot.com/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050ti-4gb-gddr5-128bit-graphic-card/PLID43826932
    naturally they're not unlikely to ship to Canada but the currency conversion comes out at around $280 CAN

Dragon
    Participant

@norbertz well OK then.. $400 is out of my range for a used one so I'll have to save up. lol

Dragon
    Participant

I honestly thought the 980 Ti was old hat these days and would be a lot cheaper. Can someone pass the Top Ramen.. LOL At Least I have something to look for. 😉

silverboaX
    Participant

People are using these cards for crypto-currency mining, it's driven the price up insanely. Anecdotally one person said they bought a 1080TI last year, and could now sell it 2nd hand for $300 more than they paid for it.

It's not the vendors putting up the prices, it's the retailers.

3Danimenut
    Participant

@Dragon
    that 1050 Ti is only pushing 768 CUDA Cores if anything that's gonna skyrocket your render times, the 980 Ti i'm running is pushing 2800+ CUDA Cores, does very well on even large renders. Keep an eye on Amazon, picked this one up for $490 including shipping, and it's the 6GB not 4GB....it was a good deal.

Dragon
    Participant

@3danimenut101 Thanks. Thats out of my price range though. I'm disabled and on a very limited budget so I'll have to save for awhile.

3Danimenut
    Participant

I hear ya there @Dragon, disabled Vet myself, I play the money juggling game every month.

PhantomF4
    Participant

My eyes glaze over with talk of video cards. I work with what I have (an integrated crap Dell laptop card). Usually works well enough, although I struggle with graininess and fireflies in the blacks.

Is there a possible way to use an Nvidia card externally with a laptop? I haven’t put a whole lot of research int it; thought maybe one of y’all would know.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@robf4g210, yes but it gets pricey and you have to have the connections for it. Usually you'd need a thunderbolt or at the very least a usb3 connection on your pc. This would be an example https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AORUS-Gaming-Graphic-GV-N1070IXEB-8GD/dp/B073PYMG3G/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517406485&sr=1-14&keywords=external+graphics+card. You're realistically paying about $300 for the external box and $500-$600 for the card.

Right this minute with the price of components it's just not worth buying anything unless you desperately need it. Ram, SSD's and graphics cards are just way too pricey.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@not-hunter NCIX is going through bankruptcy, don't shop there.

PhantomF4
    Participant

@evilmonkey, Thanks for the tip. Guess I'll stick with my Intel HD Graphics 530 integrated card for now.

Next time my company needs me to do any side job graphics work for them, though...

Ethiopia
    Participant

NCIX!?....bankruptcy?!...that's disappointing, they where a staple for the longest time. There's several articles mentioning that it might have put too much into it's retail stores and not enough into online sales.

3Danimenut
    Participant

@robf4g210
    Absolutely, eyes glaze, chest hurts, know the feeling. I only ponyed out the money because the 760 died on me, and the on-board VGA was having trouble watching a movie let alone rendering, but considering a new 6GB 980 Ti from Newegg was $1,000+, $490 wasn't a bad deal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ethiopia

That's a rip off price.
    A 780 Ti should be 260 Canadian (Used) That's the Maximum you should be paying for that card. I wouldn't buy them new because they're too old for a large some of money.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like