Pull Up a Chair (2)

Home Page Forums General Chat Pull Up a Chair (2)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    PhantomF4
    Participant

In honor of @eeeooo (Schmitty, miss you bro), I thought I'd continue what he started with his friendly thread of socializing. Maybe we can break some of this tension.

Although a recent comment on one of my threads got pretty close to getting under my skin, there was something said that resonated with me:

Who is this Rob?….

Who are we all beyond avatars and user names? We correspond with each other nearly every day, but we don't really know each another.

Allow me to truly introduce myself. My name is Rob, I live in a small town called Buda, Texas (pronounced Byuda, not like Buddha) which is on the outskirts of Austin. I work in sales for a distributor of sign and print products.

I've been on and off 3D art creation since 2003, when I cut my teeth on an early version of Poser using Vicky 2 and Michael 2. Created a few pieces of art until I divorced my first wife in 2004, at which point I traded my dabbling in Poser with bar-hopping and poker tournaments. Met my current wife in 2008 and in 2012, the non-profit agency she worked for needed 3D renderings for a proposed re-model of a building in downtown Austin. I spent many nights on YouTube teaching myself how to model in 3DS Max and I got that job (probably because I did it for free). Then I took a break from 3D again until I got wind of the free DAZ Studio in 2016. Figured out the learning curve and made my first post on Rendo, which didn't get a whole lot of views (we're little fish in a big pond over there).

Like several others, I found Zone when KAT went down. I've enjoyed this site immensely and it helps keep me focused on my love of this art form by corresponding with like-minded people.

Now that ya'll know more about me, I invite you to add to this thread with a little bit about yourselves. Not looking for a life history or sensitive info, but interested to know what got you into this medium of art. Are you all hobbyists, or do some of ya'll make a living this way?

Just for fun, I'm posting the first render that I have on record I ever did (Created March 2003). And I'll award 100 points to anyone else that does the same (Please no tutorial renders like Barefoot Dancer). I think it would be fun to see how much our art has improved through time, both with advancement of technology and with increased expertise.

Have a great day and sorry for the long post!

The Crow

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pleased to meet you Rob from Buda TX 🙂

Don't take peoples suspicion personally Rob.
    A lot of people are suspicious of others on the interwebula.
    Hell, many of us don't even know the neighbors any longer!

Dragon
    Participant

Hi Rob. Hi Norbertz.

I'm Dragon. I'm a professional scifi fantasy artist in the Pacific Northwest. I've been drawing since I was a kid. I started with Bryce in the 90s, then found Poser. Lost interest with Poser in the mid 2000s and got back into drawing. Started painting in Photoshop using a graphics tablet and its opened up the colored art world to me since I can't paint traditionally to save my life. (Have no clue why). I am completely self taught.
    Have been using Bryce and Photoshop mostly, for composite renders of 3D scifi for the past 10years. Just need to learn how to model so I can make my own ships.
    I also use Photoshop for painting fantasy like Dragons and females.
    I was never a Daz Studio fan until about 6 months or so ago. Saw the realism and discovered that the learning curve was easier than relearning poser, so now I'm hooked on DS and found my way here.

Rob. I will apologize to you if I created any dissent. It wasn't meant. I just appreciated your blind voting process. And I'll leave it at that.

Feymarcher
    Participant

Yeah, it's been pretty tense around here lately, and I'll concede I haven't helped much with some of my pass-aggro snipes here and there. To those who I've offended, my sincerest apologies.

Anyhow, I'm Rupee, but I've been meaning on changing my public handle on here for a while now. It actually came from a line in the infamous Phillips CD-I Legend of Zelda game, 'The Faces of Evil'. Because why not.

I've had a passing interest in 3D art for the past 6 years now. An ex-friend of mine told me about Daz Studio as something he used for art references and though I'd benefit from it. Took the plunge, and well, here I am 6 years later. I've been using it primarily for drawn stuff/refs, but I've been contemplating taking the plunge into doing actual 3D work. Yanno, like making my own textures, shapes, etc. Maybe even my own assets to sell cheaply and/or give away as freebies.

I tend to work with whatever program and/or figure will suit my needs. I'm an artist, and while I have my favorites (Genesis 3, mostly), I find everything has something to add to the table and I try to play no favorites. Like, I find Poser works for some things, DS works for others, I find Hexagon works for making accessories, Marvelous Designer for drapey cloth and clothes in general, Blender for everything else inbetween, etc. I don't suffer the fanboy game very well, lmao.

I was a lurker on KAT back in Ye Olde Times, and I found out about ZGFX on the Pirate Bay's forums, so... the rest is history.

I also consider myself an "ethical pirate". An oxymoron, sure. What I mean by that is that I do pirate stuff, yeah. But when I have the means to do so, I support the original artist(s) and buy the stuff if I find I'm using it very frequently. It's not because I want to "Stick it to THE MAN", but given the choice between using, say, $25 to pay a bill or an asset of clothing on Rendo/DS's stores... I'd go for paying the bill, first, heheh.

That said, I think y'all are good people. Sure, there's some disagreements (and again, I can be an ass myself), but given the whiny lot that are on the Rendo/DS forums and the people here, well, I'll gladly take the latter any day.

Anna
    Participant

Hi
    I'm not much of a regular here but my name is Anna.(technically not my real name but close to it)
    I'm 21 and I got into 3D and Daz stuff when a friend of mine, (he's a regular, you may know him as LowBassGuy) showed me the Daz3D software.
    Back then I didnt have a way of getting more daz content than what was given for free so my first renders sucked.
    Not that they're any better today, but I like to think I improved somewhat.
    I also took up 3D when I lost interest and motivation in digital and drawing and all that.
    Lately I've been watching drawing courses to try and go back into digital art.
    Also like everyone else I like free stuff since I can't afford anything because I'm a broke student with no job yet.

Dragon
    Participant

Hey Anna, You might find this guy kind of cool for humans. I search everywhere to help improve my skills to this day. I thought to use 3D as reference but had so much fun posing and rendering, I haven't done much in the way of referencing. LOL
    Draw With Jazza
    He has some cool free stuff on youtube.

eelgoo

TBH This place is a breath of fresh air compared to most fora.

Anyway, I am an elderly ex-Poser addict. I started out with Poser 4 & stuck with it in all its iterations
    until the big bust up with Daz.
    Posette (P4 Woman), Victoria, Victoria 2 & 3 were all OK in their day.
    Victoria 4 was always a big favourite of mine.
    Genesis I found too androgenous.
    Mostly I was seeing either butch females or effete males.
    As I liked the look of Genesis 2 I dabbled with it but just could not get it to co-operate in Poser.
    I tried DS, but initially could not get my head around it.
    Then G3F & IRay arrived which, being an ultra-realism freak, blew me away.
    I took a determined tilt at DS & suddenly it all fell into place for me.
    Well, the parts of the program I was using at least 😉

I turned to torrenting many years ago as a way of keeping the No Longer Available items available.
    The new shinies available did corrupt my approach over time, although I have always bought
    as & when finances permit.
    With the implosion of KAT I wandered over here & have been very happy ever since.
    I find direct upload & downloads preferable to torrenting & would not go back to it.

🙂

Anna
    Participant

Oh I know Jazza, everyone knows him. He's pretty nice and funny. Neat vids.

Morri
    Participant

I only joined this forum a couple of months ago but I came here because of the community I saw compared to other forums. I like the community here, even the "critical thinkers" (because it's always good to have someone to bitch about 😉 )

Anyways, I'm Morri. I'm a public servant living in Perth, Western Australia. My day job is spent listening to people bitch in a call centre all day so I come home with a special appreciation for the fact that it's quiet at home...except when my six cats are brawling again. But that's my autism talking.

I've been a poser addict off and on since 2004 when I found myself utterly sick of using photos of models and celebrities to portray my World of Darkness roleplaying characters. I wanted something that looked more accurate to my mental picture of my character and you know what they say about how many words a picture is worth 🙂

My hubby has always said how creative he thinks it is and such but I guess I just can't see it in my own work. But at the end of the day, as long as the picture looks vaguely like what I see in my head, I'm fairly satisfied.

I cut my teeth on Victoria 3 and maxed out my credit card several times in the early days when I was unemployed and bored, but now I have far too many bills to pay and it's hard to keep up with the volume of content so I'm here with you guys. I too was on KAT back in the day and was gutted when it was taken down, I gradually found topgfx then came here when I realised that this site was far more friendly and personable than certain others.

PhantomF4
    Participant

Welcome to Zone, @nemain. I had guessed you had been here longer based on your participation. The ratio of new members to active members is very unbalanced, so it’s great to have you!

@dragon
    , nothing you have said has been offensive in any way in my opinion. Quite the contrary. I appreciate your support.

I wonder if I’m all alone in embracing Genesis 8 characters. Nowadays, I’m rarely using anything else (unless I need muscularity, which is still a benefit to Genesis 3). For me, the Power Pose tool for Gen 8 can’t be beat for expressions. Since I Rarely pose from out of box sets and prefer to pose from scratch, I’ve found that very useful.

I appreciate ya’ll telling the community more about yourselves. I had indicated that I’d give 100 points for a post of your earliest render, but I think I’ll loosen restriction and give the points for doing exactly what y’all have done. I might have to wait until @hunter gets back, though, but I’ll get each of you those points as soon as I can.

Morri
    Participant

@robf4g210 I try to make myself part of the furniture pretty quickly when I like a site's community.

And I love the Genesis 8 characters too. Just missing the variety of stuff available since Genesis 3 has a lot more, but it's starting to get up there. I'm just a little annoyed with some of the choices Daz has been making *coughSakuracough*

As for my first render....

my first render

*cringe*

PhantomF4
    Participant

@nemain, love it! Definitely a “Matrix” feel to it. Hey, we worked with what we had back in the day. And apparently I didn’t know how to change expressions in the earlier era because every render I have from 2003 and 2004 has that dead-eyed blank stare.

Dragon
    Participant

I don't have a clue about this KAT thing you guys are talking about. There was a place I went to back in the 90s and 00's that I'd get my Poser stuff from. Can't remember the name but it was BOOMIN.. I had hundreds of CDs with all the old Poser stuff. I think I came in right after they started with Victoria. Anyway. Like I said, I was gone for awhile. I'd tried DS too, eegloo, but yeah. It was just funky. But now with the realism of Iray and DS and its seemingly easier learning curve, I'm down with combining it with Bryce and Photoshop. I'm such a sci-fi fantasy geek freekazoid.
    Then I found PB. They were OK with Daz stuff way back, but movies and shows caught my attention more with them.

Undesignated
    Participant

KAT=Kickass Torrents. Had a forum and a very active DAZ/poser posting party before the government took it down.

Dragon
    Participant

OH, I like G3F because of the amount of items there are. I have a few G8 things and a few things for the others, but my mainstay is G3. I was thinking about this the other day. Once they get to the point where they have a lot of items for G8, another figure will come out and maybe the quality will be even better. Who knows. Right now I'm enjoying G3. But I do have my staples for G8 already. LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like