Is Genesis 9 a failure?

Home Page Forums General Chat Is Genesis 9 a failure?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Frederrick
    Participant

Anyway, if someone else considers giving G9 a run, I strongly suggest to create a separate "My Daz Library" for that purpose.

It will be easier (and more satisfying!) to delete it in one keystroke.

Ethiopia
    Participant

I agree with what's been said here. I have no desire to use it-her. I might grab some of her clothes if they're unique or original but it's mostly all skimpware, Sci-fi, fantasy, and a category I call 'I-have-no-talent-but-I-need-the-money-so-here's-some-weird-thing-that-mindless-lemmings-will-buy-ware'.
    Even architecture is starting to look the same. It's too bad that Jack Tomalin isn't modeling much anymore.

Something I have noticed though on a kinda related note, is that the posts in the Daz forums has been slowing down for several years now. I read them religiously every morning and the 'Commons' forum went from two pages of new posts every day three years ago, down to a half page. It's been a slow but steady decline and I'm sure that Daz HAS to have taken notice. Maybe they're as pig-headed and delusional as Rendo and figure that some new figure/software will fix everything and make Studio/Daz great again.

gaver
    Participant

Comparing G3,G8, and G9.Looking at it G3 wasn't all that bad....

Corbeau
    Participant

@gaver
    Same feeling, my best G8Fs are converted G3Fs, absolutely no reason to go G9 even in a hyperboled mythical Daz 5 ( I am not in extreme close up portraits where G9 may be considered superior with an appalling memory usage). Since G9 I have considerably reduced my downloads and saved precious HD space... Thank You Daz !

ADAM
    Participant

Just slow going. there has been some decent stuff released for it and it will only improve over time. People still use G3 and V4 and G8 wasn't a failure. What is an issue is Daz really needs to step up the game just a bit on software. Not sure what is needed but something feels missing.
    I think I've been in and out of this for over 10 years and can still use resources from then. So its difficult to drop everything for a new toy. Id still rather render G8 ATM though. Ive not found a skin texture on 9 that "does it" for me. texture recommendations are welcome.

Mark
    Participant

I haven't found any skin textures that I like on G9 except for the Victoria 9 but it seems to only do great with red heads.

Redflag
    Participant

@markmark
    Agreed. The skins for the general ones that are being released look really bad to me (and this was supposed to be an area of improvement).

Which makes me think there are more folks out that that can make morphs/sculpt than can actually make good (and varied) skin.

I need less morphs, and more skins!

ADAM
    Participant

(https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/g9/)

Variety is the spice of life

Lawrence Durrell
    Participant

I appreciate the expressions in Genesis 9, but I am missing a plugin that could convert the characters and morphs from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9. Although I watched the tutorial on the subject, using another software, I found it to be too complex. It would be helpful if there were plugins that could perform this conversion task as quickly as they can for Genesis 3 to Genesis 8.

eelgoo

I am much more interested in character conversion of G9 to G8.1F

Larry
    Participant

BIG Failure for Heels even the one sold for G9... Works good only on G9 base without female or male morphs and V9 xD

The shoes sold by Arrin accepts morphs without too much distortion (G8 left / g9 right after retouching)
    stacy

And the morph conversion just sucks, squish deformity, the eyes are boring to realize correctly. If you don't use old generation morphs, it can be passed. And the appearance of the skin leaves something to be desired but by changing the shader iray (old gen) + a little photochop it's ok.

I hope a release of Generation X G9.

Oh, and am I the only one or does the latest beta daz crash when it tries to render with the presence of hair? On the other hand the loading of the characters is much faster but we can't render, welcome to the paradox.

Frank21
    Participant

"The skins for the general ones that are being released look really bad to me" - @Redflag
    Yep and that's the main reason why I don't use G9. The others being....
    ...not wanting to re-acquire all the G9 poses, scripts, clothing, poses, textures, skin shaders, smart props, geoshells, genitals with their associated morphs etc., hairs, etc-fucking-etc.
    I wouldn't mind doing all that if G9 was an appreciably better model than G8/8.1, but she clearly isn't.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

G8.1 is, hands-down, among the best of breed IMHO.

G9 will get there, and it has the expanded expression set, which I really like (mostly). I'm forcing myself to use G9 a little bit more, and it's not bad overall, though it still has issues when it comes to making single-dial characters (the conversion script sort of works, but it still pollutes the Parameters tab with all the modified child dials under "Currently Used". Making your own single-dial character means you have to fight the wonky eyes and mouth if you so much as touch head or body scaling to make your characters.)

G3, I still love to use. G8.1, I love to use. I really have no real reason to make the complete jump just yet, especially since I can't seem to convert my 8.x characters to 9.x just yet.

The clothes are often rehashes, sure. The pose packs are a bit different, though I admit I converted all my 8.x poses up as well, just because.

I keep G9 in its own directory set, but mostly because my main Library directory is multiple terabytes in size now. I wish I'd thought to have done that for G8, btu that's hopelessly tangled with everything else.

One thing I've done to keep file sizes down...I often d/load G9 character sets not for the shape, but for the skin. This means I don't save the /data directory, and I have a special "Skins" subdirectory under /Characters (./Characters/Skins) This lightens the load very nicely.

Overall, I might switch to G9, especially since its toon pre-rigging is quite nice, but it still needs some stuff before I'll make the leap and push everything over to it (Fit Control would be nice, but most importantly, a means to convert G8 shapes to G9 -especially extreme toon-style shapes- would be paramount IMO).

eelgoo

I am a lover of G8F & G8.1F too.

It didn't take long to get used to her little foibles. 🙂

DLay
    Participant

I haven't personally used G9 yet, but for now, nothing makes me want to try it. I see renders from other people using it, and I don't see a big enough difference to start over with a different model. It feels like a waste to have assets for G8 or 8.1 and start from scratch with G9. I also notice that several creators are already making content exclusively for G9, abandoning previous versions (which could be sold in different packs). For now, I'll stick with G8.1 and 8, and the future will tell what happens. After all, I don't need a G9 for the final result.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like