Is Genesis 9 a failure?

Home Page Forums General Chat Is Genesis 9 a failure?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Frederrick
    Participant

@Zemlon
    Too bad that almost everything produced for G9 is utterly ridiculous (when is not useless).
    IMO, uploads for G9 are a total waste of storage space, time and effort.
    It's like G9 is worked by that "AdamThwaites" dude: every product is a total failure.

Frank21
    Participant

To be fair to Adam he does has a crap ton of low to medium quality free stuff for those who can't afford to shop at the big stores.
    It wouldn't surprise me if G9 was a result of Daz having to indefinitely delay DS5 and were looking for a DS4 placeholder figure (and re-sell all the G8 stuff you already have for a new figure).

Frederrick
    Participant

...and everything that's not free is just as bad.
    This randomness, this total ignorance for coherent criteria affects G9 and G9 products, too.
    For example, look at the wrinkles made for "FN Quinn HD For Genesis 9" character. Even V4/M4 generation had better elder characters. The G9 wrinkles are placed almost in random positions.
    G9 keeps being totally ridiculous, it doesn't seem to even tend to improve. Either DAZ people don't get honest feedback, or they ignore it.

slender331man
    Participant

have to agree with most of the people here. g9 is severely lacking the wow factor, ending up not enough to drive myself away from the more established and matured G8.1. it's been already 6 months and none of the products released for G9 are "game changing".

guess I'll just wait for another year and see how it goes.

I suppose the only potential wow factor I'd feel in the future is the release of Daz 5 but I'm ready to be disappointed.

eelgoo

One thing about G9...

It makes me appreciate G8F / G8.1F all the more!

🙂

Ethiopia
    Participant

I'm sure I've mentioned this already somewhere but the reason (I believe) that Studio 5 is nowhere to be seen is that they where depending on a windfall from the NFT crap. When that (place emoji of a deflated balloon here) fell through, they're now depending on the bit of cash from G9 to fund it. I pity the one or two full time devs they have on hand. I'm convinced that Studio 5 will never appear which is why I'm rushing headlong into AI with Stable Diffusion.

gts6
    Participant

They should just release the code for Daz Studio and make it open source, they don't make money from selling it anyway, and it has a much better chance of having Daz 5 appear if other people take it over from them. It would most likely surge in popularity as features and functions people truly want would finally see the light of day. And DAZ themselves would get $ from the people buying new assets because they are happy customers again.

InverseKinematics
    Participant

G9 hasn't failed (yet) but I can't see any improvement over G8.1
    It just seems like yet another ploy to get us to buy more of the same old rehashed DAZ stuff and expensive hardware which many can't seem to afford in the New Normal.

And those limb bends whick look like drain pipes, sheesh.....

Ethiopia
    Participant

@gts6, I can't see them releasing the code because then they'd lose control over it. right now, people have to go to them for the program and they can restrict the HD morph capability. If the code was freely available, I'll bet you'd see folks getting together on possibly GitHub to work on it with other sites for content opening up. People aren't exactly enamored with Daz and would eagerly flock somewhere else.
    In the meantime, I keep hoping that Diffeomorphic becomes much more capable and we see stuff move to Blender bit by bit.

gts6
    Participant

@ethiopia I don't mean release everything open source. They would keep private ownership of Genesis and all future base figures, and DAZ would continue to develop just that and hold the rights to it all. The only thing open-source would be the studio software. Other people could work on it and get it done much faster than DAZ could, and they would absolutely benefit in that situation: tons of happy customers again (because the software works as it should) and they will buy more. DAZ is not monetizing the studio software in any way right now, so for them nothing would change except for the better.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

After playing with G9 for awhile, I have found that the biggest limitation is the lack of stuff - specifically Fit Control and similar tools. I can get around most of it*, but things like, say, a geograft tail (and other geograft bits for the adult figures) are either missing, in process, or not gonna happen.

A lot of what makes G8 (and G3) so easy and enjoyable is the massive array of stuff, especially tools and adaptation utilities (e.g. alt UV maps, etc) that G9 doesn't have yet.

After a bit of detached thinking about it, I can guarantee you that once enough similar tools and bits come about for the figure, the mill will get cranking again.

* You can do Fit Control by using older Gen clothes, putting them on older Gen bodies, applying FC, then moving them to G9.

Leidustraum
    Participant

G9 just looks like something made to plug into Unreal Engine. Everyone is applauding G9s face, but for me, it's actually quite off-putting. I don't really find it much more realistic at all. It looks much more similar to the faces in AAA games and Unreal's Metahumans. They have that distinctive uncanny valley quality, where it's definitely evolved from the simpler 3D graphics ten years ago, but at the same time, you can clearly tell that it's not real.

I haven't been able to put quite a technical grip on it, but this person from anoother forum made it much more clearer. It seems like a lot of the development in G9 is addressing integration issues in terms of rigging, animation etc, into game engines such as Unreal. There are also some ideas about catering to content providers in web3, NFT etc.

To me, this feels like a massive departure on the side of DAZ from their original userbase, which are the hobbyist artists making mostly static content. And it's not good.

I mean, for example, I am an artist who have my toes in both worlds. Professionally, I can and have a team who produce 3D assets for games, ads and other similar commercial fields. When we do production for these assets, we will NEVER use DAZ because the current pipeline already works best using the industry standard tools: zbrush, maya, substance. DAZ is just redundant in this workflow. And Unreal already have Metahumans to propagate quick character variations.

I mainly use DAZ in my free time as a hobbyist, and I guess I've always liked the way that DAZ/Poser has its own visual identity. You have to agree that sometimes you find some sci-fi/fantasy smut stuff online, and right away you can tell, this was done in DAZ. And I really hate that nowadays everyone is turning towards Unreal Engine, and the problem with that is that everything is starting to look the same generic AAA style.

Mark
    Participant

I agree with that Leidustraum. But that clarifies it for me. I've noticed a lot of stuff looking way to similar lately.

BubbaMcSmith
    Participant

It's a failure in that Genesis 9 doesn't really seem to bring anything new to the table. The Victoria model looks great, but other than that all the other models I've seen are just more of the same.

It feels like the entire Daz/2D render scene is falling behind tech-wise. 3D models are starting to look photorealistic themselves, even on the hobbyist side of things, and AI art has the potential to completely overtake the entire 2D art world in just the next few years. Ren'py games drew me into the Daz scene, but looking at how the quality of other 3D gaming engines are progressing, the enthusiasm I had for 2D renders is diminishing rapidly.

Jaybird
    Participant

Couldn't agree more. G9 is more of the same. It didn't bring anything to the table other than a few tweaks and 8k textures. It's an incremental improvement at best at a severe GPU and VRAM penalty. G9 still doesn't have realistic collisions or pose deformations. Daz3D is on its last legs. I see AI vacuuming end users. Whatever Daz3D is supposed to do, AI is or will be soon doing better. 12+GB of VRAM is more effectively spent training LoRas or checkpoints in Stable Diffusion if you want photorealistic or stylized output than trying to kludge a product improved V4 into doing it for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like