Is Genesis 9 a failure?

Home Page Forums General Chat Is Genesis 9 a failure?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    eelgoo

You don't have to use the latest & 'greatest'. 😉

If you are happier with the earlier stuff, just continue to use that.

🙂

Architector
    Participant

No. A step up.

Participant

Can someone help me understand this about G9?

My layman understanding is that G9's shortcoming is mainly the body and its strength is the face. The head got better eyes and mouth and much denser which sculptors said they need to create more realistic faces. I mostly play with celeb look alike products and so far G9 is really lacking. I thought it's a talent issue but I saw Sangriart's only G9 release and it's not better than her G8 products most of which I've purchased whereas there was a definite improvement in quality of her works from G3 to G8 and G8.1.

Is it because G9's denser mesh improvement can only be found on the so called HD once again which is only available to Daz's own PA, and celeb look alike products are sold exclusively outside Daz store? Or is it still about artistic talent yet come through?

Frank21
    Participant

I too was/am interested in celebrity look-a-likes and found AI was the only way to come close to achieving it. DS is very limited, mostly by polys, in pulling off convincing likenesses even using add-ons like FT, HeadShop or FaceGen with base model limitations. If celebrity look-a-likes is your thing, you might have to consider giving DS the push and move onto a new way of achieving that aim. I initially hated AI but needs must when the devil drives. I've now become so familiar with what Ai is capable of that viewing the DS shop looks amateurish and laughable.

Participant

How is SD in terms of creative freedom? I am having a lot of fun playing with DFL but the payoff is extremely time consuming and my output is limited to training sets and not my skill or imagination. My understanding of SD is that the output is still very much at the mercy of dataset and as someone short of free time I am not sure the time spent is worth it for stills.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread to AI but for stills Daz quality may be lacking but in terms of creative payoff (both time input, result output and skills gained) is still par none for me which is why I want to know what G9 can do in improving likeness after time away from Daz to AI.

Participant

Thanks for the reply about SD. I think I will wait for next gen of SD that offers more creative freedom. For the time being if I want to play with likeness I can allocate my free time to generate DFL videos but for imagination fun I need creative control. Ideally I want both but I guess consumer grade offerings aren't there yet.

Back to the topic, can anyone offer insight on why G9 characters so far does not offer the kind of likeness improvement vs. previous generation changes, especially when head improvements was the key selling point of G9. Is it something inherently technical, business (Daz held back higher density G9 for store PA only so G9 head non-Daz PA is using is no better than G8?), or artistically G9 has yet been used to its potential?

Frank21
    Participant

Somewhat contrary to popular opinion SD's ability with "creative control" could be considered far superior to that offered with DS, if you know what you're doing. You can easily change the age, body shape, face, pose, lighting, and other variables with a few words. Granted the outcome is like winning the lottery but you can keep quickly rendering until something good turns up. In fact the two processes are diametrically opposed with DS entirely predictable in outcome like opening your school lunchbox, and SD like opening your Xmas/birthday present with every new render. I enjoy a surprise.

Participant

@frank21 I think we should stop hijacking this thread about G9. AFAIK SD is so nascent and what's available atm are either online services (no way I am using) or offline models of limited prefix datasets. Unless I can control what's in the dataset locally neither is what I would consider as creative process.

Anyone care to chime in regard to G9's lack of better likeness product when improved face is its selling point?

Frederrick
    Participant

1. Limbs bend like sausages.
    2. Posing custom models mostly result in monsters.
    3. Ugly limbs.
    4. Ridiculous poses.
    5. The hair models made for G9 look like brooms, at best.
    6. The custom morphs give mostly unexpected results instead of the expected ones, if used on any other model than the basic gender neutral one.
    7. Expressions are ugly and creepy AF on any model.
    8. Did I mention the ugly feet?
    9. The HD "plus" feature becomes quickly a huuuge minus if activated.
    10. Teeth look like a cheap/bad dental prosthesis.

Participant

With ultimate natural bend and natural movement pack IMO G9 bends better than G8 with all its natural bend products.

eelgoo

What is it with the return of HD Add On packs recently?

I thought the variable resolution of G9 obviated them?

Their re-introduction smacks of money grab desperation to me.

:0/

InverseKinematics
    Participant

@eelgoo

I agree.
    Something's gotta wallpaper over the obvious poor quality textures.

Pharrell Williams
    Participant

The density of mesh doesnt matter anymore, since you can use HD morphs, on g8f or g3f. Everyone can makes their own HD morphs, its not that hard really. About bending joints, g8f also has ultimate natural bend morph 2.
    The only thing G9 has over G8 is maybe the face's expressions? Iam not sure about that because I dont use g9 that much. Oh and the eyes too, I really like G9's irises textures. Better than most store's products really.

BamBoozler90
    Participant

"Everyone can makes their own HD morphs"

Um...how?

Pharrell Williams
    Participant

@bamboozler90
    1. Rename your current Daz folder from DazStudio4 to DazStudio_NEW or whatever
    2. Install Daz 4.6, its on the blog
    3. Install daz HD plugin , also on the blog(its just one dll file named dzmultiresolutionmorphsupport.dll, copy paste it to DAZ 3DDAZStudio4plugins if you dont want to run the installer)
    4. Run daz->Help->About installed plugins, enter serial key.
    5. Download https://zonegfx.com/starter-essentials-g1-g2f-g2m-g3f-g3m-g8f-g8m/, manually install them.
    6. Load G8F in Daz4.6, export them as high resolution, sub division 1/2/3/4 depends on your use.(Meshes exported using newer version of DAZ dont work)
    7. Sculpt them, and import them using morph loader pro->Morph SubDivision : Yes, Build Resolution: Enter the number of your sub divided mesh.
    8. Save the morph.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like