What's your render machines specs?

Home Page Forums General Chat What's your render machines specs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    EvilMonkey
    Participant

While I'm waiting for my render to complete (to my satisfaction...) I thought I'd pose the question to see what kind of hardware others are using.

Personally my PC, which I use for nearly everything, is a:

Intel i5 2500k with a Corsair H100i AIO
    16GB DDR3 1600mhz
    GTX 970 4GB
    WD blue 500GB SSD
    I have a 2 monitor set up with my main being a 1440p Dell and my second being a 1080p Benq.

So what are you rocking?

P.S. ffs....

FFS

Anna
    Participant

Mine isn't that good but I have an
    i7 processor
    12 GB RAM DDR3 1600mhz
    nvidia gtx 950m
    and a normal 1 TB HDD at 7200 rpm.

It's also a laptop.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

I'm always amazed at people rendering on a laptop, as every laptop I've ever owned heated up like a bitch when it was just working normally so whacking the cpu up to 100% for hours would scare the crap out of me. As it stands, my fairly well ventilated pc with a water cooled AIO reaches 60C at full load!

My PC was built around the 2500k on release, so it's nearly 7 years old! Albeit I've upgraded drives and swapped out the GTX460 shortly after the GTX970 came out. So that's 3 years ago now! Time flies.

Okay, I've finished rendering the piece I was doing, stopping the process after 14 hours at about 75%! Admittedly I rendered it at 4K iray as a test and the largest I'd done before this was 1080p but I noticed that my GPU wasn't maxing out but my processor was. Could my cpu be bottle-necking my system?

Anna
    Participant

Yeah, my laptop does heat like crazy. And i've been doing like a couple of renders (the longest one took me 11 and a half hours) and my laptop still lives. After all the renders I did and all the noisy noisy fan noises it does.

Meriel
    Participant

AMD FX 8350 processor
    16 gigs DDR3 ram
    Nvidia gtx 1080Ti
    a SSD as my c drive and a 1TB as my storage drive

The PC was built several years ago, I upgraded ram and graphics regularly my average render speed for a packed scene is about 15 to 22 minutes using Iray

3Danimenut
    Participant

AMD FX 4100 3.6Ghz Processor
    32 Gigs DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6gig
    2 SSD Drives 1TB Each
    3TB external drive for storage.

I have at times on a large render pushed that GTX 980 overclocking close to 8gig
    but that heats the daylights out of it, so i do it in moderation. cooked the old
    GTX 760 that way, smoked it, literally.

Only_me
    Participant

if I am at w&*k i use;
    i7 processor
    32 GB RAM
    1 x 1T SSD as main C drive
    4 x 2t drives as storage
    1 x AMD radeon HD7700 4GB running 2 screens
    1 x AMD Radeon HD7700 2 GB running 1 screen

at home I have use a laptop;
    I7 processor
    16 gb ram
    2 gb dedicated gfx
    4k screen

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@darklordf, ah abusing work resources eh?

@Meriel
    , is the reduced render times due to the increased cores you have available? (In addition to the 1080ti of course) Does anyone have a Ryzen or Threadripper build?

@Anna2123
    , if I'm gaming on my pc for "a while" I usually have to open a window because the room gets so hot. The fan noise is reassuring, it let's you know that the heat is being taken away. Unless the bearings are gone of course. 😛

@3DAnimenut101
    , I keep thinking maybe I should reinstate my cpu overclock but my processor is getting on now and I can't really afford a new setup if it dies...

3Danimenut
    Participant

@EvilMonkey
    Overclock with caution with aging hardware....I fried that 760 running it to hot for to long, learned the hard way.
    my wallet felt the most pain..lol

3Danimenut
    Participant

@evilmonkey
    there is an easy trick with Daz to speed up render times, the default samples are set at 5000, try turning them down, i do between 1000-2500 and i can get 6 minute render times depending on the render.

Undesignated
    Participant

I use a TI-99/4A.

Meriel
    Participant

Honestly, I told my husband make it render fast. And he put it together. I do compress texture sizes before I render and remove everything not in the scene too.

eelgoo

@undesignated

Yeah, I had one of them. 😉
    A beast of a machine at the time...

🙂

Only_me
    Participant

Benefits of being the IT Admin 😀

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@undesignated I bet you had rendered bitmaps all over the place!

For comparison, this is the set up that Jack Tomalin (regular Daz contributer) has.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like