Suggestions for new posting rules

Home Page Forums ZoneGFX Announcements Suggestions for new posting rules

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    EvilMonkey
    Participant

Well, there seems to be a lot of discussion recently about posts to the site and peoples preferences but discussion mainly going in circles. So I thought, why not make a thread where people can post their suggestions for how to improve the posting system already in place at Zone?

My suggestions, which may have been influenced by the already initiated discussions in other threads, are as follows.

1 - Anyone posting a Pro bundle or any bundle should list the products that it contains on the site post. This will bring up results in searches and solve several issues at once. Pro bundle "blurbs" from the vendor sites have the contents listed already.

2 - Bundles should be uploaded within a folder structure with the root folder shared, so that if people only want an individual item they can take it and save their bandwidth. Not everyone has good internet. Individual products could be updated at a whim as well, since you'd be linking to the folder it's contained in. We could put Zone documentation into the folder to pronounce it as a Zone resource so that leech sites would have to upload their own clean version.

3 - If the previous rules are accepted/enforced, Pro (and commercially available) Bundles should be preferred over individual products in order to encourage sharing of those products and not discourage those generous enough to shell out their hard earned money.

4 - Custom bundles should only be accepted if they are adding NEW content to the site and if they contain content already available then maybe it should have a lifespan count on it? Maybe an upload can't be "copied" for a year after it's uploaded? And any custom bundles that contravene that should be removed?

5 - Posts should contain more information about the product you're uploading. Such as if it is in DIM format, a custom DIM, ".exe" format or just taken from your "runtime" folder. And whether it's updated to a certain date or is missing any items that the commercial product comes with. If the product requires a serial number then this should be prominently displayed and included in the product or announced that it's "cracked".

6 - The "Add Post" form/page should be updated, along with preferred hosts and maybe even hotlinks for image hosts. The text box hints could be utilised better to inform people which information is desired in them, such as the internal Zone link to the required product and not a vendor link. Maybe a link to an instructional post on uploading to file hosts and sharing folders could be included on the 3rd step page, before they upload their product, to give the uploader every opportunity to stick to the rules and eliminate the need for moderation.

Well I can't think of anything else right now, but if you can or you agree or indeed disagree with any of these suggestion then please post here. Keep it constructive and keep it Zone... O_o 😀

@Hunter
    @Monkseye @Tomsk

Hunter
    Keymaster

Okee we will discuss and change the TOS if needed

@monkseye
    @tomsk please Pm me about your thought 😀

Tomsk
    Participant

PM sent.

eelgoo

The only caveat I would put on the above suggestions is that posting rules should be kept as simple as possible or folk just won't bother posting.

:0/

Errilhl
    Participant

Just for the sake of #2: the adding of Zone-specific labels/images... it's a PITA, and I for one would prefer this not be a requirement. I get that this would mainly be for the folder itself, not the individual content, but I've mostly had it with custom content of whatever kind added to original packs - the worst of it is when they're modifying the actual in-DAZ content, like the thumbnails having added "prominently ZoneGFX" or something idiotic like that.

As for bundles - I would suggest that when bundles are added separately, you make them into one. I see this several times for older posts in particular, where single items from bundle-packs are added separately, and not as an actual bundle. Yes, I get that the original uploader might not have bought these as a bundle to start with - that's not my problem.

If there is a bundle pack, these individual packs should be either made into a bundle pack, or deleted, in favor of the new bundle pack.

As for the internal vs external links for required products, it should be made clear that first and foremost, link to internal content, _if it exists_. If not, link to external / original content, so one can find the product needed.

Also - perhaps see if it's possible to assign users for update-roles - for instance for the missing images for a lot of content. I wouldn't mind uploading / fixing some missing images when I happen upon them, and it would make it a lot better a lot faster.

Sunny
    Participant

I agree with most of what is being said, but it does need to be kept on the kiss principle or people with give up on posting

@errilhl
    I don't like the pngs being covered with zonegfx either, it does make them hard to see what the character looks like if you don't have good vision. I would rather just a link inside the folder or rar to direct people to here.
    This place has always had a strong no duplicate policy to stop the blog from getting clogged up unnecessarily so it is a shame that people have not stuck to that. It also does bother me when I see things that I have purchased and posted being taken by others to make up their own custom bundles.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@errilhl Labels are being added by some already and I don't necessarily like it but I've had products from other sites where I've had to remove files from the DIM file which I'm really not okay with. This is the lesser of two evils at least.

@eelgoo
    Simple rules are all well and good but can be abused and "misunderstood". If the posting page was modified it could be used to steer/enforce a lot of rules with minimal input. Instructions that are in a written in a field you are going to fill are going to get read. I would hazard that well enforced rules will encourage those people that post decent content to continue and eliminate those that ruffle feathers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@errilhl - Sometimes I post bundles, sometimes I post the items within the bundle. Quite simply, I bought the items in question and will post them how I wish. If you don't like it, it's not my problem, you are free to take out a credit card and buy it yourself. But to dictate how I share things I spent money on, is not going to go over well with most.

eelgoo

@evilmonkey Minimal input is good. Less likely to get things wrong. 🙂

Ethiopia
    Participant

I'm a big fan of adding ZoneGFX labels AND sticking our advertising in all archives. This dissuades the lazy creeps from places like CGPersia from hot-linking to our posts and hopefully keeps that greedy and self serving piece of excrement, Pfhuong-dzu, from doing the same thing. If I'm paying for (Mega) the bandwidth to share stuff, I want it to go here and not to someone else's site. They can use their own host.

Errilhl
    Participant

@ladyburger A bundle, split up, is fine by me - as long as ZGFX allows me to upload the bundle separately, if that's the case, without claiming duplicate content.

My point was more that you are free to upload separate items. No issue with that. However, when / if someone uploads a bundle (I'm talking actual DAZ-bundles here, not some "let's throw this together" custom bundle) - you should either be told to gather your uploads into a bundle, or the bundle takes precedence - because it's beneficial for the users of the site. This is logical, unless you're a greedy uploader - if not, you will see that a bundle benefits the users.

I do, however, think that bundles should have a higher price than single items, much like custom content has today. Say 200 points for a bundle, instead of 50 for a single item. That way, it would encourage people to just upload the bundle as a single post, instead of splitting it up.

ADAM
    Participant

A better description of custom content would be nice.Seem like people change the paint job on a car and call it custom. If you actually made the model or just downloaded a freebie and altered it.

Also seen posts of content that is free on other sites but its listed under custom rather than free. Why charge here id its free everywhere else?

The only custom character ive seen made by a member was posted free of charge. Thanks again for the great character.

ATM "to me" it seems to be a lame way to pick up points.
    Great idea but being abused.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@d0gg0d I agree that a better description of the content being posted would be preferable, some products I've seen posted up have a minimum of information and then have no link to the product, even though a search for the product brings up a link on the first try. I've seen other products that I have no idea where they are from and suspect they are converted but there is very little information to confirm that, for example Soeperman's Mass Effect products.

I would suggest if something is posted without a product link (to verify the origin) or listed as custom, it should be subject to more admin scrutiny to validate it as a "custom" product.

Fallen
    Participant

I don't have much of an input but I would like to see more custom content previews and possibly a file list of the content.

ADAM
    Participant

Ive downloaded one 500 product maybe two. I can say that Me spending $30 for items on Daz and only getting 15 point each here seems kinda skewed. The only custom product that "to me" is worth 500 points is in the free section.

I do not download vehicles since I do not render them much, I can change every texture using shaders in a few clicks, Most are probably not rigged (just a guess), I have more now than I'll probably use and the main reason is I dont think any Ive seen are worth 500 points.

I do not take advantage of the system since I believe that I would not want to be called out for abusing the system, I can get points other ways, I have a lot of points "honestly", uploading crap is a reflection of the uploader.

Im fairly picky in "most" of what I buy and upload with a few exception I needed to get some spare points generated. I would rather have quality than quantity any day of the week. One reason i wiped my Daz HD and started over.

As with any good idea it has to be beta tested. If people are willing to pay for it the I guess its ultimately ok. "There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase closely associated with P. T. Barnum

After some thought, I think it should be set up like MOD sites and you can request DONATIONS based on what you think the effort the person put into it is worth.

Hell, some members here may give you 5000 points for a great custom character.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘ZoneGFX Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Post You Might Like