What I Feared appears to be Happening

Home Page Forums General Chat What I Feared appears to be Happening

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sandeep
    Participant

Other than the apparent reasons of profitability based on exploitation, I see logically how it makes sense for Daz not to evolve Genesis as parallel generations with each generation being an independently sustaining branch. Otherwise, we would be having a fragmented space where it would be confusing for new adopters (like animators or game devs) to select an optimal branch for their purpose (either technically or based on asset availability). The effect of this fragmentation also percolates down to PAs who would have to decide which generation they want to support to maximize revenue for a given amount of effort. I believe a section of the Poser community stayed with the M4/V4 branch which is probably still active today, but within a very niche user base within an already niche user base of content consumers. The question then becomes can we (as a collective community of content producers and consumers) allow that fragmentation?

Then, assuming the inevitability of new generations, it boils down to a matter of release cadence. G2 and G3 had a cadence of roughly 2 years, but G8 was around for like 4 or something, probably due to the pandemic. That was the time when G8 content boomed along with the customer base leading to a widespread affinity for that generation.

Niala
    Participant

Daz just released a new G8.1M. character (yes 8.1!) Jan (Snow) 8.1

But I do not think it is a step backwards. (Alas)

Most probably, they created this look-alike during the GoTmania, but did not dare to publish it becaue of copyright issues. Now that they have introduced the 'editorial' licence, they can publish it safely.
    And they will probably publish Jon 9 in a few month to double the sales.

Anyway, it is rather surprising to see a new G81 char.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

Some thoughts.

I can use G9 (and for the first time since Genesis came out, I can keep it in its own content directory tree, and lay out the folders with some sense of logic!) It isn't a heavy load, and I do have some awesome toon creatures in G9 now. Still have to learn a couple of things for that figure (like making a morph via .obj export/import so I don't have a splayed-out mess in "Currently Used", but at the same time not wreck the eyeballs), but it's quite usable.

However, I've found that the most popular mesh with me still is... Genesis 3. Been using it for months now, with only a few times wandering off to G9, and fewer still to G8.

Given all the mod and morph packages I have for G3, I can do -anything- with it, but it still loads and responds lightning-fast. It's trivial to have it wear any other figure's clothing (just an autofit click or two), and it is very friendly to system resources. I've converted every G8/8.1 and G9 pose I have for G3's use, and more than a few V4 pose sets. I've even converted all my G8 toon bits to the G3 frame.

TL;DR: As long as I can convert the new stuff to use the now-outdated meshes, I'm almost perfectly fine with whatever they want to do. I don't have to ditch the older meshes or anything, and I think that eventually I'll probably shift to G9 the majority of the time eventually, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like