Puritans at Daz

Home Page Forums General Chat Puritans at Daz

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    ADAM
    Participant

If people didn't hate each other because of religion it would be color. If it weren't color it would be money. If not status it would be political views. If not politics it would be beauty or lack of. If not appearance it would be job, hair color, weight, height, the sound of your voice. People will ALWAYS find something to hate about someone else.

34ish

Charley
    Participant

@D0gg0d True. Personally, I've never hated anyone on those bases.

The main problem I have is with people appropriating a phrase or a proclamation of faith (see recent Twitter/X drama) in order that they silence, insult or demean another group, then play innocent when confronted. Or, those who just go out of their way to be insulting or trollish in general; thankfully most edgy teenagers grow out of the latter example.

What the Internet did to Garfield? Wait until you see what was done to Winnie the Pooh! Lmao

Frank21
    Participant

Look they they did to you Charley!

Redflag
    Participant

Rule 35...... art comps must be held every 6 weeks.
    Rule 36...... nobody will mention 3Duk again.
    Rule 37...... Ethiopia (and Adam) must be kind to everyone in the forums.
    Rule 38....... If a Blog post image contains nudity or risque material, but gets a chuckle out of the membership, leave it the fuck alone.

Charley
    Participant

@frank22 Lmao !!!!!

Still not as bad as this experience: All I wanted was a pink f***ing elephan

ADAM
    Participant

@reinecarola

Maybe you don't for those reasons but Id wager if a group deleted one of your family for those reasons you'd probably have an issue with it.

ATM the mind set of some is think like I do or else. You can think or say whatever you want so long as I agree with it. Seems most people including me have strong ideas what is right and wrong. I don't understand how someone could not hate a dictator that deletes his own citizens to stay in power.Without going into much detail there are a class of politicians that have no issues with people that are inconvenient being deleted including children.

There are some genuinely good people in the world but IMHO they are rare. Most of humanity is easy to dislike (including myself in this observation) and I have to search for reasons to like people rather than it being blatantly obvious.

The current group that has earner my hate is people screwing up franchises I enjoyed as a kid because they have decided their ideals/messages are more important than fans and content.

Ive enjoyed my share of trolling. I dont try to be insulting but I like getting a rise out of certain people sometimes.

Charley
    Participant

@D0gg0d Got you! I feel similar about a lot of certain situations. In particular, the whole politically correct BS that has destroyed books, films and shows, all in the name of DEI and the desire not to cause offence.

I don't really speak much on it, but it really annoys me, to see beloved works being destroyed all in the name of progress. Nothing is sacred; they've even started messing with history, all in the name of ''artistic licence'' and ''progress''.

Diversity of opinion counts for nothing anymore; it's all about ''representation'' now. And, I say all that as a moderate, who is fairly accepting of most things.

eelgoo

Almost exclusively, those that shout loudest about diversity usually do not tolerate anything other than what coincides with their views.
    Those holding differing views are name called & villified.

How is that inclusive?

:0/

Charley
    Participant

@eelgoo 100% true.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Stupid....that's the one quality I can't tolerate. I love the diversity of humankind except when it comes to stupid. Before the net, stupid folks where too embarrassed to come forward, now they have an audience all too willing to listen. If you want to see how bad it is, watch some StupidTube videos made by flat-earthers. They're gob-smackingly ridiculous.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

I wish I had something to add, but I find myself just admiring the discussion.

Cheers!

Charley
    Participant

I remember after my dad died and my mum, being left alone with young children, was particularly vulnerable. This hardcore religious woman, who had moved into the area around that time, began to visit and spout her version of religion. (she claimed to be able to speak in tongues and see the devil) She had recently been excommunicated by the Church and some of her outrageous beliefs would put the likes of Kenneth Copeland to shame. She somehow convinced my mum that I (a young teen) was possessed by the devil because of the music I listened to and the whole goth fashion I was into at the time. She said I needed to be sent away to be ''cleansed''. She also said the ''evil'' inside me had caused my dad to die. Thankfully, my mum remembered her own Catholic teaching and spoke to a priest, who told her never to let that b***h in the house again. It was after that Mum really leant into her Catholic faith - which was based in kindness and tolerance - and her life; as did ours, improved.

Which is why I hate Catholicism being equated to Puritanism. The hardcore Puritans would lynch every Catholic they could get their hands on if they could.

Meanwhile, that woman who tried to impose her beliefs on my family, got booted from the church of which she was a member and formed her own evangelical church with some Nigerian pastors, last I heard.

Frank21
    Participant

"Catholic faith - which was based in kindness and tolerance"
    I suggest you read about a little thing called the Catholic inquisition, 12th to 19th centuries.
    Religion doesn't make people good, people choose to be good (or not).

Charley
    Participant

@frank22 Vatican II happened. It was the first step to overhauling the Church. It can be argued that the decline in Western Civilisation happened because of the schism that resulted in Protestantism. Had I been in Luther's position, I'd have sought out likeminded cardinals (they did exist) and strived to reform from within the Church instead of throwing a hissy fit and breaking away. The Church held Christendom together for over a thousand years, and whilst the original Protestant sects were decent and had many an enlightened view, they, too, split apart, the result of which are still around today. The Westboro Baptist Church, for example, who picketed the funerals of American servicemen and shouted abuse at the mourners. Kenneth Copeland, who asked his followers to donate fifty dollars apiece to him and he would pray to cure their Covid or, at the very least prevent them from catching it. He also said that he needed a private jet because he refused to share an aeroplane with ''demons'' i.e. ordinary people.

Yes; the Catholic Church in the past did wrong, but Pope Francis is not the popes of old, and he is nine times out of ten on the right side of most issues. He was the first pope in history to open up the Vatican to refugees, for example.

And, as for the past, the wrongdoings of the hierarchcy should never be held against those peaceful, kind souls who practice the faith.

And, if you look at early American history, it wasn't only Black Americans who were lynched, but Jews and Catholics also.

The faith in which my mum was raised and practiced throughout her life, was based in kindness and tolerance. I wasn't referring to the old Church doctrines, but the simple teachings with which she was raised. Unlike some, she didn't study Theology. But, the philosophical minded could argue; ''what makes us good?'' The Magna Carta itself, from which Modern laws are derived is based in Catholicism. (England was still devoutly Catholic back then)

ADAM
    Participant

Without going into much detail the Catholic church has tried to cover up some very bad things fairly recently. At one time I was religious. I consider myself more spiritual that religious now. Certain aspects of evolution seem flawed and scientist regularly disprove themselves so Ill stay on the fence.

I don't see the atheist or agnostic bus show up at disasters handing out food. Like the internet it can be used for good or bad. Id be more likely to trust a stranger calling themselves a christian that one that believes they are a monkey. Doesn't mean either are necessarily a good person. Perhaps its like owning a dog. If you have something that gives you comfort you're more likely to live longer and be happier.

I church hopped very often in my younger days and experienced a variety of religious flavors. The only people that are 100% right are the church you're in at the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like