(griping)

Home Page Forums General Chat (griping)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Dimer
    Participant

I swear there's only a dozen or so people who ever buy things and share them. It feels like if I comment on a request thread there's a 50% chance I'm the one that ends up sharing it.

(feel free to gripe about other things too)

eelgoo

My pet peeve is that relatively few items make it to the blog!

OK I get that there are some vendors generous with their take down notices, but there used to be a lot more stuff publicly posted than there is now.

:0/

Corbeau
    Participant

The trend is not recent... Most people no longer post on the public blog and neglect the sharing rules. I have almost stopped myself to provide stuff as a form of display of discontent (and never share privately by now) while I may have had "new hot" things, but it was probably unnoticed, I think we are going downhill. I would prefer a mandatory public posting with a fix reward (by Monk or other), I am against unchecked free market economy, but it is far too late for this battle, particularly on a pirate ship (even if classical pirates had quasi communist regulations)... Other reason is the poor quality of recent releases from DAZ or rendo.. And I have never approved the constant reposting of old things (gives a false impression of novelty...). Well at least this site has some good fellows with a decent mentality and is more helpful than DAZ forums....

eelgoo

In all honesty, I think this site is by far the best Daz/Poser source.
    As a KAT refugee though, I wish there was more public sharing.

:0/

Abad
    Participant

Personally, I think PAs are lazy and bad taste... Who the hell cares about a bundle of centaurs, or ancient Egypt, or clothes that do nothing more than fill your hard drive, with thousands of morphs that in the end only hinder fluid work?
    The last thing I bought were some scripts from "Daz Studio Animation Tools – Set 1" and I decrypted the dse to dsa so that people can see the code and make known how the scripts are made: That is for the benefit of knowledge and being able to modify to your liking or contribute ideas for new ones. (Then I realized that it was in "request", but I don't care about the points...)
    It depends on each user to have a 5Tb library or like me, I only use G8 for my animation stuff, without hair or clothing and 4 basic morphs, all well compacted to avoid using hard drives or SSDs full of garbage that I am NOT going to never use.
    I buy content that interests me and I don't see any problem in sharing it.
    But each person is a world... they say. 🙂

Amber
    Participant

@dimer -
    IDK, it may seem like there's very few, but then again there's a wide array of one-hit-wonders who add to the blog. Overall there's still quite a flow of archival goodness, which is more important than scoreboarding who posts how much, IMHO. It probably is true that there are a select few who contribute a major share, but I feel like the reasons for caring about that are far less important than other things. It gets dangerously close to comparing e-peens at that point.

@eegloo -
    I'm of a like mind. This seems like it's far more of an issue- there are certain commonly accepted practices going on here which are antithetical to the spirit and function of the blog as a whole.

A little story, and I won't mention the user (a fine contributor, my intent is not to bash but to illustrate)-
    I was looking for a popular Daz Original, been out for a long time, not found here or in the wild. A deep Google search turned up a request thread here... found out that it had in fact been fulfilled 3 or 4 months ago. I sent OP a message with a "name your price" enticement, got a prompt reply with a link and (paraphrasing) "not worried about points, whatever you want to give" (so I transferred 1k because nice nice cool and all).
    Then there was the quoted text in italics to remind me...
    ”In keeping with the site’s TOS, I have the right to ask those I give my files to, not to post them on the ZoneGFX pages, public pages or on other share sites. This file is for your private enjoyment and use, not for the rest of the world yet, I will post it after a time myself to ZoneGFX. Any questions about this feel free to contact Hunter, Monk, AnjaBear, or Eelgoo, the moderators.”
    Sure, no problem. I honor reasonable requests, as this is an officially sanctioned practice here...
    Well a week later it appears in the blog by said Fulfiller, after months of hiding behind a request wall. Now I don't begrudge anyone the free exercise of their rights according to the rules, and the difference between 50 points and 1k, whatevs, IDGAF really (what is virtual currency if you can't throw it around like George Soros?); but to an extent I do have issue with what the rules do and don't allow as some of it conflicts with the scope and mission of the Blog, and some of it is not so much Rule, as Convention.
    That being said, I do notice quite a bit of content that is fulfilled in request, and never makes it to the blog. I can't ignore the likelihood that this is an attractive nuisance for those who would farm high payouts for coveted products, far more than it would be a protective tactic against DMCA. Either case contravenes the spirit of the blog, and encourages a bloated "secret hoard" layer.

If you're worried about takedown, consider if it's a high or low volume item. If many have bought it, shake your fist and yell "come at me bro". Takedown and Repost are easy enough to deal with and good OPSEC keeps you insulated.
    If you're likely the only one person ever to have bought an item (be wary of low-rent storefronts), or if it was personally shared by the author, I would say do not bring it to show-and-tell at all, period.
    That leaves us with the remainder; so if you're just point-farming or playing Exclusive Diva, then GTFO.

Zone exists to host a public repository. Requests section exists to bring lost, forgotten, or hiding items to Zone. Bounties exist to facilitate Requests, to "grease the wheels". Zone is not meant to be a circle-jerk of private hoarders. If that's what you're into, go start a treehouse club on Tor or Peers.
    So in light of all that, I strongly believe the Rules need to be distilled and refreshed, and that no quarter is given to withholding.
    In short, if you're not willing for an item to be blog-posted, don't bring it at all. If you are willing to share it, understand that it will go to the blog, one way or another, and in a timely fashion.
    Yes, the Fulfiller should have control over distribution to ensure collection of posted bounty, within reason. But any item fulfilled should be no more than a couple of weeks before it has to hit the blog. Keeping a bounty private for 6 months because "one person still hasn't responded with their 500 points" is not a valid excuse, that extends beyond reasonable (suck it up or consult an admin). There should be a set time, simply, where either Fulfiller or Requester(s) post that item to the blog. Fulfiller has right of first refusal, of course; if not posted before time is up, then it's fair game for anyone holding it. Period. No whining, no crying, no convoluted litany of exceptions and conventions. Post or gtfo. Simple. Streamlined. Fair.
    We mostly have that now, and it seems like it used to be far closer to that ideal years ago than it is now, but the system has strayed off the mark. I think we need to tidy up the process a bit. And seriously, f#ck hoarders and product pimps. You're in the wrong neighborhood. 🙂

eelgoo

There is a timeframe quoted.
    A week.
    After which anyone that has the item may post to the blog.
    😉

Amber
    Participant

except when OP doesn't want to... :p

eelgoo

As I said, then anyone who has it may post to the blog.

Amber
    Participant

clearly, as stated

📣 Request Thread Rules. Updated 11 July 2020

... so then where did we get the convention of Fulfiller being able to claim hold? I'm looking, I know I've seen it in print...

Also,
    https://i.imgur.com/HSTbovg.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/HSTbovg.jpg
    lol

eelgoo

Probably one of Anjabear's stickies?

Amber
    Participant

That's what I'm thinking...
    she has... lots of opinions about things 🙂 <3
    <edit>
    found the quote here:

📣 REQUESTS: Tips & Tricks from AnjaBear

toward the bottom of #post-1647231 (link engine eats this from the URL)

It's possibly been misconstrued to mean Fulfiller can just not post at all and demand other don't as well. Maybe need a referee on this?

eelgoo

Not needed IMO the rules are explicit.

Ethiopia
    Participant

I strongly agree that requested items should be shared after a week or two. If they aren't, then I feel that a mod (who has access to private messages) should post the item themselves.

Another point that was brought up is the lack of new DECENT new content from the brokers. I've only bought three or four items in the past 12 months (I give them to a friend to post since I don't need the points) because little of it inspires me. It's the same old skimpwear, sci-fi or weird fantasy stuff. Perverted-otica is becoming nothing but a repository for art. I feel that our hobby is in decline and will eventually stagnate as Daz continues to let Studio languish.
    ...unless everyone moves to Blender (or some other engine) and we see the kind of amazing and varied innovation we loved when Poser was at it's height.

eelgoo

I am not as downbeat as that, but I wish 'Rosity would stop flogging Poser to death & concentrate on current Genesis items more.
    If their vendor's efforts were more focussed we might get more appealing quality items being marketed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like