What Inspired You To Pursue 3D-Art? ENTRY THREAD

Home Page Forums Art Competition What Inspired You To Pursue 3D-Art? ENTRY THREAD

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

And BTW, you need to work on that lighting. Renders are OK but flat. Needs some lift.

Dragon
    Participant

The pic pretty much says it all.
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Space.. And of course, Dragons. But I've been drawing Dragons and fantasy since I was 8. 3D helps when I get a block between mind and hand.
    "The Rescue"

Dragon
    Participant

Right click to view larger

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

@norbetz Who, mine? I struggle with lighting in Iray. This particular set was supposed to be dark, though.

Bot101
    Participant

@Drgnmztr, thank you for your widescreen entry. For some reason, I can hear the faint sound of music in the background. Almost as if this particular render is destined to be on the cover on an album by a famous Rock Band of a bygone era - my generation. Fascinating, indeed.
    Thank you for entering my contest and I have transferred 1000 entry bonus points to your account. There are still fifteen days left to enter my contest for those of you contemplating doing so. To the nine persons that have entered, you've not only got some serious competition with each other but you are surely inspiring to me. Thank you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@tommytomahawk

Sorry dude. I should have taken your style into consideration.
    Iray is pretty straightforward. See Sicklyield's tuts on DA.

PhantomF4
    Participant

Low light and dark environments can still be achieved without looking flat. The headlamp is rarely, if ever, a desirable light to use in a render. It’s much better to use spotlights and pointlights at low lumens. A higher powered spotlight behind the subject will also work wonders for creating separation between the foreground and the background and add depth to the scene.

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

What confused me about Iray is how it brings its own light. Like, I'm making several renders of an indoor location. It doesn't matter if I bring a bunch of distant lights, point lights, or no lights at all, all renders come out identical. Even with no lights at all, light inexplicably appears in the scene.

And yeah, headlamp of my camera is turned off. How do I get Iray to render ONLY the light that I want? I want the room to be dark except for athmospheric blue lights in the ceiling. But Iray just auto-floods the room with light. And sometimes rooms are dark no matter what. There's just no consistency to it. I don't feel like I'm in control with Iray.

Dragon
    Participant

Can I ask that help questions (and off topic non contest pic related posts) be taken to another thread instead of being posted on a contest thread please?
    I know its Arts contest but thats exactly what it is. A contest. Not a help/critique discussion thread.

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

Right, apologies.

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

Is it okay if my submission is a set of 4 images? My 'modus operandus' is usually to make a series of renders that tell a story. I think these 4 images will beautifully illustrate what 'gets me going'. I can make them into a 'collage' of sorts, if you absolutely want one image.

EdnaCloud
    Participant

My entry to this great idea for a contest :-

https://i.postimg.cc/Jzkjgh7x/half_a_lifetime_ago.png

Back story, all true as far as memory serves.

About half a lifetime ago I came home from work one night, knackered as usual but also just a little bit excited. You see, I had my favourite magazine with me, released that day. And it had on the cover disks a gateway to another world, to a virtual one where you could do anything, make anything. Disks were duly put into my trusty Amiga 500 and in no time at all I was 'modelling' or trying to. Simple models at first, and then a bit more complex, and then animations followed. Nothing too grand of course. The machine only had either one or four megs of Ram I guess, maybe even less. For the next few months I spent a good chunk of every evening trying to learn more, do more, both modelling and rendering. Rendering took as much time as the modelling. Example, I had this idea for a 30 second animation. There were no human figures at that time, so I tried to make my own. It was impossible so I figured I would do the animation from the POV of the main male character. He was to get out of a car, walk down a sidewalk to a gate, go through the gate up another path into a church. I made the church, the street, signs, a cobblestone wall, graves to go round the church and so on. Got hold of a very basic car model and I was ready. 30 seconds at 25 frames per second is 750 frames. Each frame outside the church took an hour or so. So some nights I managed to render three or even four frames 🙂 - but insdie the church things took longer. A dozen or so pews, a simple tiled floor and carpet, a few wall sconces and some stained glass windows and that was too much. Each frame now took upwards of 20 hours to render. In all it would take about two years to render. I bought a better machine, (1200) and then later a much better one (4000) but that animation never got finished. Now thanks to Arthur G I may have to do it 🙂

In the scene :- Amiga 500 and floppy disk from Sketchfab, materials and textures by me. Speakers are freebies from off the net, arms and hands belong to Gen 8 male ( EJ Anders' skin) altered in Blender. Rest by me. Rendered in Blender, no postwork.

Thanks for looking.

EdnaCloud
    Participant

N.B. You may have to right click on the link and choose 'open in a new window' :/

Errilhl
    Participant

@baf-mcnab very nice render 😀 Brings back memories. Only thing... I think the 3.5" diskettes is a tad bit too small 😉

EdnaCloud
    Participant

@Errilhl

Thanks and yeah, or the scale is right compared to the hand but the Amiga is a bit big, I did scale it up just before final round of renders, but thanks again 🙂 As you can see, the contest brought back a lot of memories for me from around 25-30 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like