Random real life-ness: Pet edition

Home Page Forums General Chat Random real life-ness: Pet edition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Morri
    Participant

The crazy cat lady comment has come up and it got me wondering...

How many of us have pets and what kind? Post pics if you like 🙂

I have 6 cats, was seven but I lost one at Christmas to kidney failure (my poor baby). So I would definitely count myself as a crazy cat lady. I also have a kid, but I don't know if children count as pets...he's more the bad smell I have to wait to get rid of. Only a year to go... lol

I'd really like a ferret or two as well. Hubby told me we can look into it once our 15 year old cat has passed, though we might wait until the 10 year old's gone too. We've had all but two since they were kittens and only two are related. The worst part is waking up to a brawl or one throwing up next to my head. >.< The things they don't tell you about having pets 😛

Vega Soleil
    Participant

7 Cats! Holy wow. My max was 4 at the same time that is. Over the span of my life, I have had a few. The nearest and dearest got to nearly 20 years, had more of an appetite than Garfield and looked like he did. I stopped having cats (Sounds like I went to Cat Ladies Anonymous doesn't it?) because I have lost too many.

One tiny kitten had a heart failure, hole in the heart and even though we put a lot into operations to try to save her, it wasn't enough in the end. And I lost a sweet pair of Manxies to the stomach issues they are sadly likely to develop during their lifetime. So now I am cat free and plan to be. I just can't take the pain of losing them and figured there is only one cure for that.

So I got a baby instead? 😛 Yeah I know, much less worries, right? RIGHT?? 😉 Maybe ferrets are the solution!

eelgoo

I am a dog person rather than cats.

I have a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
    He was about 2 when we got him. He is about 8 years old now.
    He looks tough, but is a real softie.

🙂

coolcat
    Participant

Holy crazy cat lady Batman, 6 cats ! You sound like my neighbour 7 cats they have. we have one cat one dog we tried to get another cat but the one we have kept beating it up so we gave it to another good home. our dog is a Husky German-shepherd mix and is a big baby.

Sunny
    Participant

Two dogs, two cats, 2 adult ferrets, one baby ferret that I rescued and am hand rearing so I don't know if it will survive as it is on eye dropper feeding every 2 hours, 2 hermit crabs and 5 goldfish.

Morri
    Participant

I love big dogs, staffies and huskies are adorable. I grew up with a rottweiler and just don't get it when people complain about them being scary. To me, they're just softies! lol

With my lot...we got the eldest, Tonka, from a shelter at 18 months old and he's now 15.

The second eldest Storm was "hey Morri, my cat just had 8 kittens. Did you want one? Otherwise I'm just gonna keep em all" and then she let the rest interbreed while all mine are fixed as youngsters.

Miss Banshee, our white deaf cat, was in the local shelter connected pet shop as a kitten with her mum and three sisters. She's six now.

Mungo and Rumple were foster kittens who never left. I'm never fostering again. I just can't let them go.

And the latest one, Gus...he was left behind when a neighbour moved out. He was talking to my lot through the cat enclosure fence (we built that so Banshee can safely enjoy the outside world), then I opened the door one day and he sauntered in. "Hey hubby! We have another cat!" "um...okay?" "He just walked in." "You realise I just lost my job yesterday, don't you?" "Um...yeah but....look at that face!" ".....hi Gus, welcome to the family."

I'm soft hearted for cats, so I just can't say no.

Morri
    Participant

@para I'm so jealous! I want ferrets....they're so adorable!

Ethiopia
    Participant

We've usually had three cats and replaced them as they passed on. I'm now retired and we're down to one fuzzy-wuzzy who won't be replaced. I looove pussy cats but they've become a burden due to our ever more frequent traveling. My wife has also developed allergies to cat dander. We've had some great cats over the years and I'd even adopted a feral cat at one time. That one was interesting as I was the only one who could touch it. My wife could feed it, but it growled if anyone got within half a metre of her. She (the cat, not my wife) would sit on my lap at the computer and purr. I believe that one of the local coyotes got her. All the cats lived long lives with two of them hitting 19 and 20 years respectively.

How does one post pictures? I've got lots of kitty pics. Do we have to use a hosting service the same way we do for content posts?

Morri
    Participant

@not-hunter I believe so...I'll find the pic for when we lost Banshee for ten minutes and couldn't find her anywhere despite her howling at us...

Sunny
    Participant

@nemain my baby is so tiny it curls up in the palm of my hand. I spent last night with it curled up on my stomach so no sleep for me. He is a bit stronger tonight so he is wrapped in a towel in an icecream container with a hot pack to help him keep warm. My other two ferrets are in a cage outside, they don't play well with my cats, but we do let them out to run around the back yard. They are more focused on us and not the dogs thankfully.

ADAM
    Participant

Dog person here. Just my opinion but cats are fairly useless.

Rescue Dog, K9 unit, Hunting, Bomb / Drug detection, ect...

Cats just poop in a box.

Morri
    Participant

@d0gg0d Oh I completely agree with you...my feline overlords are completely useless. They annoy the hell out of me, they poop in a box (or on the floor or on my clothes depending on whether they like me today) and don't do anything useful...but they're still adorable.

I'd love a dog, but I don't have time for one since I'm out of the house 14 hours a day and don't want to do much when I get home :/ I'd love another rottie, a lab or a beagle.

Meriel
    Participant

I have lots of beautiful birds. Had a lovely dog but exactly a year ago I had to put her down at 15 years of age, bone cancer. I am thinking about another dog but I am not ready yet.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Our cats always went out to poop/pee. We have an emergency box but it's rarely used. They've all been great mousers and kept whichever house we where in free of rodents. One of them developed a taste for snakes and decimated the local population. We now live in the country and the local chipmunks and squirrels tease the bejeesus out of our last remaining pussycat. They'll bounce around in the trees just out of jumping range while she goes spastic on the ground.

As much as I love all animals, I have a great dislike of people who DON'T TRAIN/RESTRAIN their big snarling killer dogs. I've been bitten twice in the last eight years and took them both to court then sued them in a civil suit(sp?). Folks in the area are now smartening up. I talk to people when I meet them out jogging, walking or cycling and let them know what to do about aggressive dogs. As a result, I see most dogs being kept tied up when they're outside. Our local animal control officer also makes regular rounds and keeps the dog owners aware of their responsibility. We have bears, coyotes, moose and deer here, but it's the untrained monster dog that's kept in a small kennel 23 hours a day that scares me. Why do people think that that's humane?

ADAM
    Participant

I do agree that a poorly trained dog is a problem. As are stray packs. Stray cats are actually a minor benefit.

My Aunt Raised love birds and also had a cockatoo.

Ive yet to replace my last dog of 15 years. I work long hours and not being home isnt fair to the animal. Once I retire, Ill own another dog or 2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like