Points?

Home Page Forums General Chat Points?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Richard G
    Participant

@Kooroe, the person who was in charge of the Contest, like here, would announce a art contest. The members of the group were suppose to vote on the best work, with the final vote being the Moderator himself. He was a big fan of DAZ Studio 4.8 with Iray, anyone who don't use it was beneath him basically (my opinion). I would create some artwork per the terms of the contest (Christmas, Halloween, St. Patrick's day, you get the picture). Sometimes he would hold a contest that you HAVE to have a particular item or scene, like FM's Windmill for instance and you have to create a particular scene with it, meaning if you want to participate in that particular contest you need to have that one particular scene meaning if you don't have it you need to buy it in order to participate. My first scene wasn't that great, but it was a shot though. I started getting better and made some great scenes, some not that great though. Long story short though, lot of my artwork I did not expect for it to win when I judged it besides others and there was one or two that was way better then some of the scenes I have seen. But you have to show which rendering engine you used, for instance Poser, DAZ Studio 4.9, etc. All of my artwork was done using DAZ Studio 3.8 with 3dlight not iray. When the contest ends and the winners are announced, it is always friends of his and when I looked at the artwork that had won I would see lots of artwork way better then the winners, but they weren't friends of his. After several contests, the other members of the group saw what was going on and complained about it to no avail, contests would keep going on, and the same winners won. After awhile all of us that either complained or just sat by quietly (like me) just quit doing the contests, wound up being only 2 or 3 left that was doing the contests, his friends. About 3 or 4 contests later the owner of the group just shut the contests down for lack of participation.

Tomsk
    Participant

@notenoughrupees

If you ever wanted to transfer points above and beyond your daily limit I'm sure you know you could always ask Hunter to make the transfer for you.

If you wanted to give away points you could alwyas make the post with whatever criteria you wish to place on the acquisition of the points, then ask Hunter to make the transfers for you.

Tomsk.

Tomsk
    Participant

@rgaston52

I will be updating my competition guidelines to reflect what I'm about to say, although the following has not been specifically mentioned previously I have always abided by this.

From my next competition onwards, the following will apply:

- You are free to use whatever render engine you wish. Period.
    - Entries are judged on artistic composition and relevance to the theme.
    - The whole freebie need not be used! (ie: sets or multi-parts).
    - You may retexture said items to your hearts content.
    - There are 5 judges in total and I use a points system to help find the winner.
    - Knowing myself or another judge does not mean you will win!

And last but not least (This one is new!)

- All runner up entries will be awarded 500 points for participating!.

Tomsk.

Richard G
    Participant

@NotEnoughRuppees, I agree about items that are specific, I am very fond of V4. I am not a big fan of Gen2 or Gen3 Characters. But mostly everything that is being made now is generally for the new Genesis Characters so I look for anything and everything that is geared more for V4 or for the older DAZ Studio, like for 3.8. If I see a .duf file I generally don't get it, that and I only have a certain amount of room on my TB External HD. In order to save room on my laptop, even though I have plenty of room on it, I have everything on my External HD including my DAZ Studio as well as my back up files, just in case my computer ever crashes...lost to many files that way lmao..

The King
    Participant

@rgaston52 That is messed up.

You don't have to worry about that here. I like the contest here. @tomsk does the official one and there is a theme and an item that is provided. No need to buy it. Which is really nice of him.

Then there are contests by members also which are normally just themed and you can use anything.

The contest are a great way to inspire. The last one we had I wrote a whole story for that I hope to start rendering after I finish the story I am working on currently.

Richard G
    Participant

@Tomsk, thanks for the heads up mate, 🙂 I enjoy doing contests when I can, my problem is my job and the time constraints on me. Lately I have been doing nothing but Graveyard shifts which is no problem. BUT until recently my schedule has been doing flip flops lol. The owner of the business where I work had to go home to India for a wedding, I have been working his schedule to cover for him until he gets back, sometimes a worker calls out and I have to work his schedule as well and I have been working 7 days a week no time off, the good part is I work 5 hours a day instead of my normal 10 hours a day which gives me more time to rest instead of getting burned out. Right now though seeing I got a little time before I rest for work tonight (swing shift) I am working on a horror scene. Would be great for Halloween lmao..

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will try and join in the contest this time or next, but being in the sick camp with various health problems takes priority :/

I got my points for logging in BTW 🙂

Tomsk
    Participant

You're more than welcome to join in anytime @norbertz. Just be sure to take care of yourself!

Tomsk
    Participant

@rgaston52

Hey it's not problem, I'm sure you'll do what you can, when you can 🙂

Having your shifts messed around with can be a royal pain! I hope things settle down for you sooner rather than later 😀

Tomsk.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Tomsk. I'm still looking for that miracle cure....

Richard G
    Participant

@Tomsk, thanks mate. I went ahead and got one of your freebie packages last week, like the items in it. Now me I like a lot of Stonemasons and Dreamlight items as well as Steampunk items, but for the older DAZ Studio instead seeing I use 3.8 exclusively and not 4.9

Herecles
    Participant

Point bribery is not the way to get contestants. Freedom to use own content is.

Richard G
    Participant

@Tomsk how do I show my images in the Art Showcase, I post the links but the art is not showing, just the links. Imgur is what I am using.

Herecles
    Participant

@NotEnoughRupees: Start up a competition that allows freedom to use own content without having to download and install anything. Choose your theme wisely and reward generously to best 3 entries.

Richard G
    Participant

And just my luck, I had only 47 points left, posted some images and all I get are links instead of the picture. Changed sites so I can show the image and deleted the other posts and I lose more points, now I am at a negative 13 points and I just found out I don't have enough money in my bank account to buy more. Sigh, I can't win for losing lmao....

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like