Penalty for false "Dead Post" reports

Home Page Forums General Chat Penalty for false "Dead Post" reports

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    mxyzptlk
    Participant

There should be some kind of penalty involved for falsely reporting posts as dead. I'm tired of having to deal with dingdongs that are completely ignorant reporting posts as dead when a site is under maintenance or they get a gateway error or they are just too clueless to see the link. Try again, dumbass. The links have been operational for hundreds of others.

There should be a point penalty of say 500 points if the report ends up being false...which is the case, the majority of the time.

MelonLord
    Participant

500pts penalty seems a bit harsh but i do agree with these false reportings. Most of my flagged (and some dead) post links still works fine but ig too many people faced issues while downloading. Although they all have bunkr links in common so that would be the cause but in my defense, it's the one I'm comfortable with and have rarely faced issues.

gts6
    Participant

Make it mandatory to provide a screenshot of the "dead post" (all available links) to prove it was dead. If a user still reports dead posts and can't provide screenshot proofs, they absolutely should be penalized a lot more than 500 points IMO, and if its continual from them, banned

mxyzptlk
    Participant

I don't think 500 points is too harsh. It needs to be a little high or it will just be shrugged off. That's the whole point of a penalty or fine...it's to make someone think twice before doing something stupid.

Vanimoch3dx
    Participant

People reporting dead links might simply have issues.
    'Server maintenance' might be considered as temporarily dead so people may click on it. There should be a 'working/thanks' option to create a simple statistic of good vs. dead reports. So the system could discard all dead reports if they are followed by good one.

ItsMeNotYou
    Participant

giving a penalty is a good idea IMO , people here should know by now FIRST contact the original poster HERE ON THE SITE before reporting it as dead , give the poster a chance to fix the problem if there is one. Also the site should automatically send the poster a SITE notification there may be a problem with their post NOT a BOT email .

gts6
    Participant

@itsmenotyou the site DOES send an email when the poster's post has been reported as dead. It also states which user reported it. Not sure what you mean by "not a bot" though because If the site is automatically sending it, it will always automatically be a "bot"-sent email.

williamvvv
    Participant

I would like to add a few remarks to this conversation .. from an ignorant amateur's point of view ... 🙂

First of all i'm well beyond retirement age, so forgive me if I don't know all the correct technical terms ... I took 3D more and more up again as a timepassing since my wife passed away a couple of years ago ... (I've been with poser for years, but i only started some time ago with DAZstudio) I am eternally grateful with a place like this as my pension as a single, won't allow by far to buy all this great stuff.

now, when it comes to links, to me , (as i assume to most people), it's fairly plain and simple ... either a link works, or it doesn't work ... if it works, it's fine, if it doesn't work, it's dead .. (ergo the so-called 'false' reports by most people you all seem to receive)

from your conversation above, I understand there's a difference between a dead link and links not working ... (beats me what it might be 😀 )

a bad gateway ? (I/we interprete it as 'link not working' ergo dead)
    server temporarily unavailable, try again in a few minutes ... : several times trying over a period of hours, days .. keeps resulting in the same message over and over ... finally people give up and report it as a dead link.... (i admit, some might report from the first time as well)

that's the plain and simple reasoning of most users i think they just want free items as they are unaffordable to buy ... when a link doesn't work... it's dead. period. some (most) don't have the knowledge and technical skills to look any further about what is really going on when a link doesn't work

allthough i'm a member for a couple of years here, and as much as i would like to, I still don't dare to post and share some of the stuff i have ... for an ''amateur'' like me,( who knows only basics and a few tricks here and there on a computer), the things for posting to take in consideration and all the conditions that must be met are way to complicated for someone like me to be assured everything in my post would be accordingly and correct... so i simply don't risk it in case i mess things up here..

on the other hand as a small token of appreciation ... I do buy Hunter some coffees every now and then ... 🙂

it's not my intention to stir up the conversation, it's just a point of view (probably from most users who just visit and download) that might be taken in consideration on deciding a penalty for those false reports ...

(might be a good idea to post a sticky ''What is a dead post, what is difference with a link not working, what is bad gateway , when/when not to report ... etc ...''

just my 2cents from a guy who's very grateful for the opportunity to have some magnificent 3D items thanks to a site like ZGFX !!

Vanimoch3dx
    Participant

That's the problem with the 'Report Dead Link' button. If the download doesn't work it doesn't mean the link is dead.
    Usually one should get an error message with 'File not found / removed' if the link is dead. Like when trying to download https://turbobit_net/aaaaabbbbccc/file-not-found.html (replace '_' with '.' if you really want to test the link). This would be a proper 'dead' link.
    Giving as much information as possible in the input box will help the uploader to understand the issue.

If the download fails due to broken Captcha tests etc. it's nothing the uploader can fix (unless they want to upload to a 2nd file host).

Sending a message directly to the uploader to inform them seems to be the problem. A 'yes/no --> file removed/server problem/spam/...' 'did the download work?' would allow the software to collect more information. And it could delay the information and inform the uploader 24h later if there is only one report. Or inform the reporter that the download works for others.
    It sounds like a simple workflow but it needs to be implemented and/or configured.

ItsMeNotYou
    Participant

@gts6 , I know the site sends you an email when there is something wrong with one of your posts , what I was saying is that the site should send you a notification and or a message right here on the site instead of to your personal email account. (what happens on the Zone stays on the Zone) 🙂

TaishoBee
    Participant

Just because you get told your link is dead doesn’t mean anything.

If it really isn’t, you won’t be penalized. So why should those who are ‘stupid’ for reporting it be penalized? Just ignore it.

If people are punished for reporting, people will stop reporting all together, eventually.

mxyzptlk
    Participant

@taishobee
    You are incorrect on several levels here, Taishobee. I had a post shifted into the dead post category even though the links were good and live. Nothing wrong with them except they were reported. I had to get an admin to revert it. This happened before 3 days had passed since the reporting. So, no, ignoring doesn't help.

Please, brush up on your reading comprehension. I called no one stupid. Ignorant...yep. Clueless...absofrickinglutely. I did infer that the act of falsely reporting a post as a dead post was "doing something stupid" I did not call anyone stupid.

The point of this wasn't to get people punished for reporting. That's crazy. Reporting is needed. It is to get people to not jump the gun when reporting what they may think is a dead post.
    The point is to make people accountable for their actions. If someone wants to say "This post is dead", that's fine. However, they better be right. Because if after looking at it and it is fine, then the reporting user should be fined. I personally don't care who gets the points or where the points go...maybe into a fund for comp rewards. The accuser just needs to be fined for making a false report, that's all. Get a little skin in the game, so to speak.

TaishoBee
    Participant

Wow barrel full of fun, you sure are. I didn’t say you called anyone stupid.

Vanimoch3dx
    Participant

'If someone wants to say “This post is dead”, that’s fine.' Yes it is and it may actually be true for the user because issues with the browser, VPN, ... but not in general. Below the downloads there is comment section but one needs a 2nd account to use it. To get some feedback the 'report link' is the other option.

Of course it is annoying if users can move a working post to the bin. As soon as the uploader and admins need to restore it something went wrong. I assume that this isn't the intention of users when they report dead links. While some artists might have some accounts here just for this purpose.
    I wish there was a TY / <3 button for every working download.

One interesting thing is that I can report a link as broken or malware even without paying for it.

Frederrick
    Participant

*snarky post alert!

Um, no, there is no reason to penalize for "falsely reporting", as long as the only way to announce a non-functional link is selecting "broken links". It doesn't matter why the link doesn't work. This "oh, just wait and click again later" is not ok.
    How this site treats the reports and the "reported" post is NOT the visitor's business. Most people just want to let someone know that there's something wrong with the link, whatever it could be, under "broken links" option in the (very short) list of options.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like