Lesser Points?

Home Page Forums General Chat Lesser Points?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    SevenOfEleven
    Participant

This remembers me on SynfulMindz and how he battled a war against kickass torrentz. It came so far, that he denied people who's ip he'd spottet on torrent to purchase items from his site, what of course was completely stupid because those people often tried to legalize the items they earlier had retrieved from kickass.

I also don't see the point that leechers (the ones that are downloading the content and keeping them to themselves without re-posting them on another site) are hurting the site or slowing down the stream of items getting posted here. I'm watching this and many other sites for almost 4 years now. Since Kickass died down (my user account is younger because my original user account never got approved) and I can't see a trend that there are less and less posts.

I know people are pissed because of this or that and then try to find a scapegoat to put the guilty on but it's not that easy and if you'd make a step back and start to think you'd know too.

Btw. several people here are not sharing on their own for several reasons but are posting through friends or even on those sleazy paysites and watch their items trickle down here through re-posters and such so don't be so sure that you know it all.

eelgoo

@antharaes

There is no intention of a witchhunt or any draconian irreversible measures, despite what some recent volatile postings from an individual member might infer.

The intent is to encourage public sharing on the blog.

In your specific case, there may be others that appreciate what you do, & you might consider a custom section upload of what you create, if you wish to earn further points?

🙂

Poserposter
    Participant

Just a note that now we seem to get the reverse of the previous thread. More voices being heard is good. 2 sides to every argument. 🙂

eelgoo

If everyone stays polite, calm & reasoned, it is often a lot more constructive. 🙂

SevenOfEleven
    Participant

Polite like: Calling people Parasites and Leeches?
    Constructive:
    Group1: Blaming a group of people for problems without any proof or decent foundation.
    Group2: Defending against Group1... how constructive is that?

If you want to be constructive, then get an idea how things work before making things worse for everything without any change to the better. Yeah, maybe you feel better because someone else feels worse afterwards... bravo, very constructive!

Demelza81
    Participant

@Ethiopia Hmm, I don't know if someone mentioned not having money in the other thread, but whilst I may not have a lot of money, what I have had spare in the year or so past was split between supporting this website and buying new things on sale via official mediums when I can. But I am happy to continue supporting the site, and will endeavor to do it a little more often now that I've finally bought the (hopefully) last pc upgrade I needed to save for.

I will also have a look at the content I own and compare it to items uploaded here; perhaps I'll get lucky and have something that no one else has already shared.

I appreciate that you mentioned where to find information to learn how to share content btw. I'll peruse it tomorrow.

NobunagaOda
    Participant

I have a feeling that such an issue can only end in tears before bedtime x_x

Chuck Adams
    Participant

Here's the issue I have. I use PP2014, as such, most of what I have is already here or is from here.
    What am I supposed to contribute?
    I'm disabled, so buying things I can later share, isn't an option, I'm on a fixed income.
    I do NOT disagree with lower points, but 25 is too low IMO.
    Personally 50 is better. One dl a day.
    Just my opinion...

eelgoo

@felsenstern

That is exactly the behaviour I was passively criticising.

I always treat people with respect & expect the same in return.

🙂

Sometimes though I am disappointed. :0/

Paul (Fuzzy3000)
    Participant

and don't forget @ethiopia that a lot of the lack of items during that 4 1/2 years mentioned was largely down to the Private Share attitude of a number of members - with, i suspect, a lot of those items still not in the wild here.

barc
    Participant

why do people have such a hard time being called leeches and parasites if all they do is come here every day, accumulate 100 points and then download stuff that other people have spent money on and then complain when the spigot gets turned down? You are leeches and parasites. Own it. It amazes me that these people want to be coddled and patted on the head in addition to contributing nothing to this site, not even a post in the forums every now and again.

As a modest uploader to this site, the leeches and parasites don't bother me. I posted stuff here to be shared with everyone who comes here, be they stellar sharers or be they leeches and parasites.

What bugged me was that everything I uploaded was almost immediately posted on other sharing sites. It kind of devalued my contributions if you get my drift. Eventually, I got tired of it and the last 3 or 4 times I've shared things here, I only collected the bounties and didn't post it to the blog. I did this mostly to prove a point to the a-holes on the other sites that Zone was the nexus of most content here. Not once did any of those items I privately shared here make it to the other sites.

Now I see that the rules have changed and everything is supposed to be posted to the blog within a few days, if not by the original sharer, then by anyone who wants to upload it who got it from the original sharer.

I've never seen hunter confirm how (or even if) he generates income from this site. If it's from ad revenue, then he needs the leeches and parasites. If not, he doesn't really need them at all. But regardless, this site needs the uploaders. Uploaders should have more say than the downloaders in what is fair and how to improve things. That's just simple economics. Incentivize the uploaders. That is the key to the success of Zone imo. Anything that increases the number of uploaders and the amount of items uploaded = good. Anything that decreases the number of uploaders and the amount of items uploaded = stupid.

I have total confidence in hunter. He's set up the best site for sharing content there is. If he can't figure it out, then I doubt it can be figured out.

My 2¢

edit: I should add that immediately after things get shared to the other sites. the points received for items shared here goes to almost nothing. While points aren't worth anything irl, they are the way contributions are recognized here.

Naemi
    Participant

The way I see it, you get 20 points when someone buys a product you posted, but then you would get 100 points just for showing up. That's where the problem lies IMO. There isn't enough incentive to post new stuff. So you need to get those two numbers to make more sense, either by raising the former or lowering the ladder. But you don't have a lot of wiggle room. Raising the former too much and you have to also raise the prices. Lowering the ladder too much and people can't buy anymore, and eventually just stop showing up. Not an easy fix.

Plebby
    Participant

For heaven's sakes. How hard is it to strike a balance here? I suggest that you increase the visit points to 50 points a visit while you also increase the points given to the sharer to the same, i.e. 50 points. You could also increase the charge for each download to 100 points meaning that for each download a visitor has to collect two days worth of points. It's hardly rocket science and might just strike a fairer balance. That's my suggestion for what it's worth.

Dynasty
    Participant

That's literally what it is right now Plebby lol. it costs 50 to buy a product and the daily points are down to 25 which means it takes 2 days worth of loggins. This is not a good system at all to use and will discourage a lot of traffic to the site.

Plebby
    Participant

You're missing my point Dynasty and it isn't quite the same as it is just now. The person sharing gets less than 50% of the cost of the share. That seems to be the main gripe of most of those who share on here. (Not me I may add) It's much more simple and is seen to be fairer. Personally, it can stay as it is as far as I'm concerned. I'm merely putting a suggestion out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like