[POSER] Just Curious About This...

Home Page Forums General Chat [POSER] Just Curious About This...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    stachelzelle
    Participant

... i think version 11.1.1.35510 is by far the most stable version of poser. at least on my machine and although the keyframe editor had become a little sluggish. version 11.0.5 had some easy reproducible bugs that made it crash, like clicking in the empty area of the export window, or adding and removing certain items/props ect.

V4.2 is still great, you have fixings for all her flaws and if this isn't enough you can use the weighmapped version or SASHA-16 or fix things with the morphing tool or an external program. i even made me some sort of template so i can use G2F, G3F and G8F textures on V4.2 😄

whatever, what poser really lacks is a better base figure. la femme is a stillbirth. the topology is bad, the rigging is bad and it's simply not competitive against the genesis line, even against V4.2. i don't know why Bondware doesn't invest in a better base figure, that should be their main goal now.

Ethiopia
    Participant

I think that there's a lot of 'Poser ego' involved with the developers. One gent is hysterically loyal to Poser and is the driver behind it and La Femme. That figure was supposed to save Poser but all I hear is what you mentioned.

The refrain I continue to hear is for Poser to support Genesis.

eelgoo

They missed that boat a long time ago. :0/

3DArtist2k22
    Participant

I quit smoking and was under enough stress already, so poser's clunky interface was really infuriating me until I had to shut down poser while in a mad fury!

It wasn't until I really started looking at DS's incredibly flexible interface that I learned what an incredibly versatile 3D program daz was, this was version 2.0, so yeah, it's been awhile since I used poser!

Trying to pose/navigate with poser's clunky camera and idiotic virtual trackball instead of the mouse is still fuckin' mired in the early 2ks; and that thrice-cursed library, also PAs piling up clothing/hair/characters under the Character tab and not simply clothing/hair/people categories!

And don't get me started on the asinine and idiotic, 1,0000,000.0 -1,0000,000.0 morph limit for each of those useless “dials” instead of a sane limit such as 1.0 -1.0!

I really learned to despise V4 as it is the perfect symbol of tech that does not evolve/get better with time, yet stagnates in an obsolete past!

stachelzelle
    Participant

The refrain I continue to hear is for Poser to support Genesis.

like eelgoo said, that ship has sailed. now that DAZ is in the lead they have no reason to open up to poser and as you can see they don't want to at all. DAZ is going the complete opposite direction, locking everything up with encryption, preventing users from creating own HD morphs and doing all they can to make it a closed ecosystem.

eelgoo

The fact that Smith Micro wouldn't make the effort to support Genesis whilst it was in development forced Daz into developing Studio.
    As soon as they established it as a viable competitor, the writing was on the wall.

Ethiopia
    Participant

DAZ is going the complete opposite direction, locking everything up with encryption, preventing users from creating own HD morphs and doing all they can to make it a closed ecosystem.

And yet they're offering bridges to other 3D programs. I get the feeling that they (Tafi) want to get out of the software business because it's so expensive to develop, and just be a content broker.

eelgoo

Commercially, that would probably make sense to them.

stachelzelle
    Participant

and guess what the bridges can't do ... export hd morphs 😄

Amber
    Participant

and guess what the bridges won’t do...

FTFY 🙂

If it exists, there's a way to do it.
    It's just that nobody has bothered to figure it out so far.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@eelgoo

Well that is two strikes for starters! 😉

Ha! yes it is 🙂
    I miss Posers IK the most because all you had to do was simply grab any part of the body and move it by mouse. DAZ won't fix this of it makes them $'s selling poses 🙁

@ethiopia

And yet they’re offering bridges to other 3D programs.

Broken Bridges. Not even the folk over at Github have bothered with the Maya bridge in a while.

stachelzelle
    Participant

@Amber

If it exists, there’s a way to do it.
    It’s just that nobody has bothered to figure it out so far.

i don't think so, because there's a structural problem. the entire rigging is made on the base Mesh and subdivisions, as well as HD morphs are added on top of it. i think the HD Morphs work in a similar manner to displacement maps, that's why you can't easily export the rigging to a higher mesh. some folks have already tried it and transferred the rigging to an exported (and afterwards reimported) version of G8 with higher subdivisions, but it didn't work very well. as soon as you bend the body parts the mesh gets messed up.

so they made a great job to build it in a way you can't export it without to implement the same technology in the program you want to import it.

Charley
    Participant

Thank you guys for all your responses. I've had a killer stomach bug for the past few days (probably TMI) which is why I didn't respond before now.

Poser 2012 was the last version I used regularly. In the beginning - once I discovered it - I found Poser far better than Daz. The renders looked better, the tools were more appealing than anything Daz had to offer, the interface was easier to navigate, etc. But once Daz introduced iray and added more options, I found myself using Poser less and less. I haven't upgraded Poser - I still have Poser 2012 installed, but I haven't used it in the longest time.

I remember when Poser was the go to 3D program and often saw the catty comments with regards to Daz on art sites, but now I'm seeing the opposite. Also, so many people have branched out and began to model and design for themselves, and often use Keyshot as a renderer.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

"The fact that Smith Micro wouldn’t make the effort to support Genesis whilst it was in development forced Daz into developing Studio."

DAZ Studio, if memory serves, began longer ago than that. The big impetus was when Poser 5 was in development, and Curious Labs (pre MSI and eFrontier, let alone Smith Micro) demanded that DAZ pay licensing fees for the Vicky/Mike meshes to use the Hair and Cloth rooms. Then, Poser 5 flopped so hard that the sound of it hitting the floor could be heard all across the CG industry. DAZ Panicked and decided that their only assurance of long-term survival was to make their own Poser. IIRC, DS came out in 2005, but I didn't think it was ready for primetime until 2012-2013 or so.

eelgoo

DS 1 appeared shortly after the Genesis release IIRC & was directly prompted by Smith Micro's short sighted refusal to accommodate Genesis figures.
    You are quite correct that it took a long time to get Studio usefully stable.

It might have been another controlling interest, I can't quite recall Poser ownership history TBH

:0/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like