[POSER] Just Curious About This...

Home Page Forums General Chat [POSER] Just Curious About This...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Charley
    Participant

I used to use Poser a great deal, but since Daz improved and Poser kind of stagnated, I more or less stopped using it altogether.

I'm curious as to how many of you guys are exclusively using Poser as opposed to Daz and wondering how you all find the latest version of Poser. 🙂

Ethiopia
    Participant

There's a gang on the usenet who are hardcore Poser users and they all say that version 11 is the best. Apparently version 12 "sucks worms" (their words not mine).

eelgoo

Moved to Studio on the introduction of IRay.

Won't be going back.

🙂

Mimi
    Participant

Version 12 is best. What have changed is the python script. You can't use for instance advance figure manager 2 by semideu, and DSON for Daz I need to check on that to be sure but I guess not.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

I stopped using Poser about a year or two after Poser 2012 came out. By then, DAZ Studio was good enough that I no longer had to care, and the Genesis 3 figures just blew me away with their versatility and shapes. I never really got into the spindly shapes that v4 had, so G3F/M were awesome to behold and work with.

Mimi
    Participant

Poser is my thing. I know Daz but I love poser is the first 3D program I learned.

mxyzptlk
    Participant

I used to be very Pro Poser. Hasn't been that way for years now. I typically only open poser for the morph tool...occasionally.

williamvvv
    Participant

I'm working with poser 11 . I would very much like to have poser12.
    I only tried DAZ a couple of times but i just can't get used to the layout,
    workflow, the build, how items are organized, especially the smartcontent thing
    and DIM makes me wanna pull all my hair out 😀

Yes poser seems a bit 'abandoned' compared with the genesis figures in DAZ .
    But the liberty of organizing and customizing the runtime exactly as I want
    is still one of my main 'stickwithposer' reasons.

Besides the free Karina's SASHA19 V4 character comes pretty close to genesis with the new
    bending, Weightmapping, rigging en a ton of new features and morphs .

So I see it as a more or less as versatile figure as Genesis and I still can use all my V4 stuff I gathered over the years since I started with poser 4 in the late 90's.

eelgoo

You can do that with Studio & I do.

See this sticky:

Manual Install to DS

🙂

Frank21
    Participant

@Eelgoo "Moved to Studio on the introduction of IRay."
    Same here Eelgoo, after using Poser for more than a decade. Iray was the game-changer for me.
    Prior to that, before Poser got Cycles, I was often exporting to Vue or C4D for the lighting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Former Poser user here but it took me a while to abandon it in favor of DS. The introduction of Iray plus the hassle of getting the Genesis models into Poser is what made me switch. If Poser had cross compatibility and a good render engine I'd gladly go back.

eelgoo

Well that is two strikes for starters! 😉

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

I could give it a go again w/ the introduction of cycles, but Poser would need the ability to make use of the gorillion gigabytes of DS stuff I already have, since my Poser Runtimes are pretty dated, and I hadn't really put any large amount of time or content into them for almost 10 years now. Besides, I like the cadre of characters I'd built up since back then, and I want to keep them.

I wouldn't mind a little importing, but I don't want to deal with the nightmare that they describe in Renderosity, especially when Cycles is the only real compelling thing at the moment for me w/ Poser (and I can get that with Blender).

stachelzelle
    Participant

well, since i mainly use V4 & M4 Characters but in 3ds max, i still use poser ... but just for character related stuff and then i export everything. i also have DAZ studio and plenty of G3 & G8 characters but i use them just as morph reference/inspiration to build V4 & M4 characters. the reason for V4/M4 are their higher base resolution ... and for poser the morph tool ... you can even subdivide the old characters inside of poser and use the morph tool with the subdivided mesh. apart from that, poser is much more stable (at least V11 imho) and the tools work like they should, unlike in DAZ ... were strange things happen all along.

i've already tried to put DAZ in my workflow, but there are so many shitty things that make working with it painful that i gave up. now i just use it to export things and make them usable in poser or 3ds max ...

Ethiopia
    Participant

I started with Poser's first version that was distributed on a CD in the back of a computer magazine (I think it was 'Boot'). It crashed consistently. I played with every version and they all crashed regularly. Eventually I wanted to get serious with content creation and bought...yes I paid money for 2012. It crashed. I took it into work and loaded it onto both our high end graphics machines and it crashed on both of them. I got frustrated with working for a while then having it crash or just disappear. I complained vociferously to Smith Micro and they said please wait for the next update. I installed updates as they came along but it still crashed constantly on both computers. Eventually I gave up and demanded my money back. Of course they refused. Cursing them, I tried Studio and have never looked back. Whatever you say about Studio, it was rock solid and would run for weeks without crashing or needing a reboot. To this day I still mostly use Vicky Fourpointtwoplusplus and her massive wardrobe. I have no problems with the runtime hierarchy and have a carefully organized runtime that I've been dragging along for decades. I use a bit of the newer stuff but I don't see the advantage of Genesis. My Vicky is always dressed; at least in lingerie; and I don't bend her into a pretzel so her supposed problems don't affect my work...err play. I've talked to many folks in the usenet Poser group and in various forums and have heard the same thing about poser's stability. Even Erogenesis bitched about it. It's unfortunate that Studio is slowly going down the same route, as every release seems to bring more problems and add features that don't work right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like