"website" taken offline apparently!

Home Page Forums General Chat "website" taken offline apparently!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    EvilMonkey
    Participant

Hi all, as I noticed Daz3Dfree offline recently I searched for some information online and eventually came across a facebook post from Rawart that states that Daz and some other artists have apparently forced them to close down. Probably put pressure on the hosts or something, I don't know but it looks like the entire database has just been wiped.

FB post

It could well be the start of something.

Tomsk
    Participant

Might be time for that 'Fire Escape' plan!

Making a 'Fire escape plan' (https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/making-a-fire-escape-plan/)

EvilMonkey
    Participant

It's strange they'd go after a free site first, though it may be because it's probably the one with the least invested and so would give up that much easier.

And I think the Fire Escape Plan needs a little rethink before it could be useful. 😉

eelgoo

Without wishing to appear complacent ( having been nuked in the KAT implosion :0( ) I think the first targets are more likely to be those with DAZ in their title & then perhaps the other Phuong sites, who are actually making cash out of piracy.

:0/

Don_k
    Participant

You would think that Phoung and the 60+ sites controlled by that person would be the first target. Maybe they are afraid to go after the Chi-Coms?

ulysses
    Participant

Phung is pretty well positioned. She's completely off shore in Asia and has both pay and free sites and feeds her free sites from her pay sites. Daz3dfree didn't have anything that we don't have here or that phung doesn't have. They just used googledrive as their download host, which allowed for incredibly fast downloads.

the admin there seemed very green. Not surprised he caved and didn't have any backup plan. I just hope this doesn't embolden the PAs and DAZ to go after everyone.

Torrent sites are dead regarding DAZ and Poser. Maybe rarbg or demonoid as escape plan sites. More selective clientele there.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

I think it's more than likely they wanted a soft win under the belts and get the word out. It wasn't a big operation; probably just a couple of people working on the site; but it was well used by a lot of people and came up pretty high in Google search results.

Ethiopia
    Participant

The Pirate Bay still has a couple of people posting large collections on a regular basis.
    I maintain that it would make an excellent port in a storm simply because of it's long history of telling content owners to fuck off and thumbing their noses at take down notices.
    I would also suggest that going after small time pirates is a sign of desperation, maybe things aren't as good at Daz as they would want people to think?
    E.

PhantomF4
    Participant

Registrations are open for Demonoid at the moment. This would be a good time to register should the escape plan implement Demonoid in it.

PhantomF4
    Participant

On another note, it would be a damn shame if we ended up having to reconvene at TPB or Demonoid indefinitely. I'd miss the comradery, contests, gallery postings, etc. I'll only speak for myself, but points and posts may be what brought me to the Zone, but they aren't what keeps me here. They're just bonus.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

Realistically, if we just wanted a "private" group set up if ever this one was in trouble, setting up a group on something like DeviantArt or similar might be best as you never know what might happen to a "pirate" site and is exactly what this fire escape plan is supposed to be preparing for.

Feymarcher
    Participant

Honestly, the main reason why I use ZGFX is to try and find older, NLA items, which admittedly don't get much love because they're not new shinies.

Also, it's worth noting that I went to Dazposer, and I got a MySLQ error that gave me a 404. Might just be a temporary hiccup, but it does give some credence to the theory they're starting to go after sites that explicitly use 'Daz' in the title/URL.

ulysses
    Participant

Must have been temporary at dazposer. Just went there and the site is up and content available.

I don't think deviantart allows sharing. I haven't been there in years, but back in the day, they were pretty protective of content creators.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

I don't mean use DeviantArt as a replacement for this site, just as a "rallying point". A safe meeting point in the event of an emergency, which is what we are talking about. Then a new location could be scouted and divulged when we know what the landscape looks like. Planning for a take down of this pirate site by planning on going to another pirate site just seems counterproductive to me, as pirate sites can disappear very quickly. By staking out a claim at a reputable location without contravening their T&C's, we can maintain a stable community while looking for a new premises.

Think of the DA group as being the forum part of this site, minus the blog.

eelgoo

It would have to be named carefully to avoid attracting unwanted attention. :0/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like