DAZ is fun!

Home Page Forums Art Showcase DAZ is fun!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Zozo
    Participant

I don't know. I guess from the readings on Nvidia control panel. I'll have to ask him. In any case, out of 8 gigs VRAM there's only 6.94 available.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It appears to be the same in Windows 7. No answer only an explanation.

hxxp://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2341124/windows-showing-gig-usable-ram-8gig-installed.html

Zozo
    Participant

Looks like it, although I believe he's referring to RAM, not VRAM.
    In any case, I'd rather have Nvidia 1070 with a gig of memory leak than my Radeon 7400 🙂

Errilhl
    Participant

I'm just saying he's got something wrongly configured. The status should look something like this:
    1070 Status
    1070 Status direct link
    Dedicated mem: 8192

Anonymous
    Inactive

@zumba

My bad, you're correct. Must have had my head up my rear.

No one should have a memory leak but it's been talked about all over the web.

Does your buddy have a leak when playing certain games?
    Are his GPU drivers up to date?
    Is his operating system up to date?
    Has he scanned for malware or viruses.
    It the leaked happening when a gaming app or other apps are open?
    Is he running crap-ware?
    Is he running free shitty data slurping, resources hogging AV suits?
    The list is endless but what I suggested is a start.

Zozo
    Participant

@norbertz

I'll forward your questions to him and then I'll get back to you with the answers. What I can tell you right now is that he bought a new Asus laptop with OS pre-installed and this problem was present from the very beginning.

You don't need do do anything in particular - with the start of OS, Windows 10 holds 1 gig of VRAM permanently. Laptop was clean because it was bought new.

Not that he minds very much. He can live with 7 gigs. He didn't even realize the problem. It was a friend of his who first noticed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@zumba

Sounds as though he may have bloatware running in the background.
    Just download the Win 10 ISO, put it on a flash drive and rid the machine of all traces of junk. This is something that I do with all new hardware.

Zozo
    Participant

@norbertz

I doubt it. That was the issue from the very first day he brought the laptop home. Didn't even install anything on it. He called a friend to help him and he (the friend) noticed it right away.

If by bloatware you mean all the vendor crap that comes with the pre-installed laptop, he got rid of all that. Task manager doesn't reveal any extra processes running that might eat up the resources.

I don't know. I'm gonna pay him a visit one of these days and will look into it myself. Then I'll let you know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@zumba

K, sounds odd but I've never experienced that issue myself.
    Removing some bloatware doesn't automatically get rid of all the crap it leaves behind. Still I prefer a fresh install. That usually irons issues out.
    Good luck in getting to the bottom if the issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like