DAZ is fun!

Home Page Forums Art Showcase DAZ is fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Zozo
    Participant

The King
    Participant

I agree It is fun and a little addictive. Nice render

Zozo
    Participant

Thanks. Must get a better graphic card, though 🙂 Takes ages to render on my Radeon HD 7400.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@zumba

Nvidia cards are best for Iray because Iray was developed by them.
    If you want a card go used if you don't want to sped a small fortune.
    6GB of VRAM and up is the way to go.

On that point there is talk that AMD have accepted a proposal from a developer to make a plugin that will make Radeon cards work properly in DS.
    Can't come soon enough for some because Nvidia card prices are an overpriced joke.
    Bout time they were knocked down a peg or two.

Errilhl
    Participant

First of all, used Nvidia cards are pretty cheap at the moment - I got myself a 1070 (8GB, which is bare minimum for a render-card), which actually is pretty decent for rendering, as long as you can stay with FHD, and not go to 4k, and also of course use the 4.11 Beta, as the denoiser and such is a godsend for quicker renders.

That being said, Nvidia has been overpriced for a long time, no doubt about it, but it's slowly getting back towards normal.

As for the AMD plugin, that is... currently in the blue. No news about it for quite some time, unfortunately 🙁

An option (which we're still waiting on, since it's currently paid for only) is running Optane (standalone / plugin for DAZ) - which works fine with AMD. The 7400 is still shit, though 😀

Zozo
    Participant

@norbertz, @Errilhl - I agree, Nvidia is quite pricey. I was thinking of GeForce GTX 980 Ti, but very difficult to find it second-hand. Missed an opportunity to get one for 300 euros, and there are no new ones available, no one's selling them any more.

I believe 980 Ti would be sufficient for my needs if I drive my monitors with Radeon. There are reports about Nvidia cards having a significant memory leak on Win 10, though.

Errilhl
    Participant

They don't. As for the 980 Ti, better to get a 1070 or a 1070 Ti. The 1070 has 8GB VRAM (better) and isn't that much slower for renders. It is slower for games, but not by much. Also, you can get the 1070s for about €250-275, and they're easy to come by.

The 980 Ti is usually overpriced as well (people trying to get back what they paid for, or finance an upgrade), so... I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you can score a good deal on it. Hell, I've seen 1080s go for a bit more, say €400-450 so that would be my recommendation if you're set on an x80 card.

Zozo
    Participant

You're right, perhaps it's better to go for 1070 or 1080. I might just do that if I find an 1080 for, say, €400. They do pop up every now and then, second-hand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@errilhl

The topic about the AMD plugin appeared in April so we might get something in the next 12 months or so, AMD card users can only live in hope.

@zumba

Yep 980 Ti's are rare these days. A similar card is the 1070.
    I did have two Titan Z's but the overkill was uncalled for and they got sold.
    If you can get a cheap Titan with 12GB of VRAM that should last a long time if the fans are cranked up when rendering.

The memory leak issue was fixed a long time ago.
    And you won't be able to use an AMD card with an Nvidia card because the Nvidia card will disable Cuda making it useless. Sneaky SOB's...

Angel_twins
    Participant

@norbertz

Where did you hear about this "AMD plugin"?

Zozo
    Participant

@norbertz

The memory leak issue was fixed a long time ago.

A friend just got his gaming laptop couple of months ago with 1070 in it and Win 10 is sucking up over a gig of RAM. Perhaps he's got an older card?

And you won’t be able to use an AMD card with an Nvidia card because the Nvidia card will disable Cuda making it useless. Sneaky SOB’s…

So, they have to be both Nvidia in order for this to work?

Errilhl
    Participant

A GB of RAM...? On load? My Windows (with a few apps, browser and such running) uses 30-40% of my memory, which means about 12GB...

Two Nvidia cards will work, and I think actually running an intel-GPU next to it will work as well, but that might be problematic with multiscreen setups. Better to just get a junk 500 or 700 series card to run the screens on, if you want. I decided to ditch my 780 Ti when I got my 1070, and am running 3 screens and DAZ on the 1070, it works fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@angel_twins

hxxps://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/247701/anyone-want-to-help-bring-radeon-prorender-to-daz-studio

@zumba

Check what processes are running the background.
    FYI Nvidia use telemetry so download Autoruns64 from the MS site, run it and see if the Nvidia telemetry processes are running and disable them.

Yep, no good mixing AMD and Nvidia cards because of issues. Best settle for a cheap Nvidia card for your monitor (A 2GB card will do) and the more powerful card for rendering.

Zozo
    Participant

@Errilhl

A GB of RAM…? On load? My Windows (with a few apps, browser and such running) uses 30-40% of my memory, which means about 12GB…

I mean VRAM. Out of 8 gigs on 1070, there's only seven available. 1.1GB is reserved for Win 10. God knows why. Win 7, supposedly, doesn't have that problem.

Errilhl
    Participant

And.. how exactly are you determining how much VRAM is available? I'm just curious, I've never seen this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like