3. Results and Critique Thread for What Inspired You Contest.

3. Results and Critique Thread for What Inspired You Contest.

Home Page Forums Art Competition 3. Results and Critique Thread for What Inspired You Contest.

This topic contains 30 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aftyr Byrn Aftyr Byrn 23 hours, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
Profile photo of arthur g

arthur g

said

https://postimg.cc/Y4gLMvGH

The results are in:

First prize goes to Rob
Second Prize goes to ShadowDemonLord
Third Prize goes to La Pucelle

Congratulations Everyone that participated. I will get with the Mods to pay out prizes and awards.
Please keep your constructive critism in a civilized manner.

October 8, 2018 at 5:33 am

arthur g

said

Rob extended his Warmest Appreciation for voting for his entry and sends Much Thanks.
(currently on Holiday or saving the Free World, lol)

October 8, 2018 at 6:00 am
Profile photo of ShadowDemonLord

ShadowDemonLord

said

Same goes from me (minus the holiday and saving the free world). I certainly did not expect to even make the podium let alone come second. I really appreciate the support.

SDL.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Profile photo of ShadowDemonLord ShadowDemonLord. Reason: I should learn to type
October 8, 2018 at 7:37 am
Profile photo of Dyna Mico

Dyna Mico

said

Congratulations to all participants for their creativity and a special congratulation to the winners of this contest: Rob, ShadowDemonLord and La Pucelle.

October 8, 2018 at 10:04 am

arthur g

said

Just a snip of the request I sent to @tomsk so the points get distributed correctly.
Thank you Everyone!

October 8, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Profile photo of D0GG0D

D0GG0D

said

13 my lucky number. Thanks for the contest and inspiration.
I did better than expected 😉

October 8, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Profile photo of Tomsk

Tomsk

said

Congratulations to all of the winners!

Just a heads up though, I am not able to make the points transfers for Arthur as suggested above, I have advised him to contact @hunter to have this taken care of for you all!

Regards, Tomsk.

October 8, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Profile photo of McNab

EdnaCloud

said

Thanks to Arthur G for setting up and running the competition. It was the first one I have ever entered and I have really enjoyed seeing all the variations from the entrants. Congratulations to the ‘winning three’, and well done everyone who took part. And again, especially well done Arthur, thanks again mate 🙂

October 8, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Profile photo of Tom Vleminckx

Tom Vleminckx

said

A victim of prejudice, most probably, but whatever. 13,000 points is more than I’ll ever be able to spend. Thanks, Arthur, for allowing me to take part in the first place.

October 8, 2018 at 5:28 pm

arthur g

said

@tommytomahawk, I’m so glad you and everyone else entered and voted. I must admit I didn’t vote for the simple reason I actually love every one of the entries for their own uniqueness. I made this contest to give back to this great community AND reward Art and Courage in some aspect. It took quite a lot of courage to share what inspired you to pursue 3d Art. And it took even more humility to present that in Art form. The reason I required voters to select three was because I know it’s kind of hard to select or not to select one’s own work. After all, this inspired you. So now voters were forced to select two more choices. On top of that, you were required to put those three in the order of your own choice. If contestants found someone else’s work more inspiring than their own, then they voted as such. I didn’t even bother to see whom voted what for whom because that isn’t the point of this contest. I only keep it up to validate my count – as should each contestant that feels disenfranchised by my crappy math. I did everything possible to get more voter participation amongst the 14,000 supposed members. For the past seven days, I made a post to bump that thread on top of the feed. Can you imagine the counting if more persons had voted? in theory, a person who’s art received 100 third place votes could have beaten a person that received 20 first place votes. Why? because I didn’t think through how I was going to tally up the votes. Bittersweetly, only 19 persons voted (a non-vote is still the act of voting in my opinion). How did I figure out who would get the grand prize? I gave each vote the value as if it got the point value for the order they were selected; 1st=50k, 2nd=30k, 3rd=20k. I add those up to determine the winners. Since there were only 23 entries, it made it easier for me to determine the prize awards for everyone else – by multiplying the sum with the factor of 1/10 their score. This also prevented the 4th place person getting more than the 3rd place person. With the entries that didn’t get any votes, I gave the value of 0=1,000 with no multiplier.
I hadn’t planned on forking out more than 200,000 of my own points but I did so and that doesn’t bother me one bit because it is worth it to be rendering again.
Yes, my selfish reason for this contest was to ‘motivate me’ to continue pursuing 3d Art – aside from my own failing memory and eye sight. All of the voters and the participants succeeded in not only motivating themselves but me as well. If you don’t mind, I’m going back to rendering bears at a bus stop. Please PM me when you receive your prizes
@robf4g210 50000 points for 1st place
@shadowdemonlord 30000 points for 2nd place
@lapucelle 20000 points for 3rd place
@drgnmztr 15000 points for 4th place
@tommytomahawk 13000 points for 5th place
@painsplayground 13000 points for 5th place
@maddruid 10000 points for 6th place
@bean666p 8000 points for 7th place
@masin 7000 points for 8th place
@ladyburger 6000 points for 9th place
@techsnoop 5000 points for 10th place
@EdnaCloud 5000 points for 10th place
@tomsk 5000 points for 10th place
@errilhl 4000 points for 11th place
@hawkeye 4000 points for 11th place
@larry5168 3000 points for 12th place
@d0gg0d 2000 points for 13th place
@dynamico 1000 points for 14th place
@jason 1000 points for 14th place
@matttyr 1000 points for 14th place
@aftyrbyrn 1000 points for 14th place
@thearachne 1000 points for 14th place
@den15s 1000 points for 14th place

October 8, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Profile photo of Mark Loraine

Mark Loraine

said

Just a quick reply I enjoyed the competition and in some ways it motivated me to become better and I was shocked to even get a vote, but I have a long way to go to catch up with the best here congrats to all the other entrants

Larry5168

October 9, 2018 at 8:16 am
Profile photo of Mark Sinister

Mark Sinister

said

I want to say I enjoyed this contest. It help me learn a few things as it was progressing. Now that the voting has been completed it’s time to critique.

I voted for people who tried to create something similar to how I did. I tried to create a story in my image about a time when I first saw Virtua Fighter 1, but I had to spin it to tell a better story than what really happened that day.

There was a time before Super Street Fighter came out where there was illegal versions of Street Fighter where the characters could shoot fireballs in the air. When I saw it I was like WTF is this??? There was a girl with her friends there and I challenge her and she soundly kicked my ass 5 times in a row!! I was fucking good a standard Street Fighter but this game was different at that time, and I was humbled after playing it.

The same was said when I saw my first 3D fighting game (It was a learning curve to play).

Now to my critique… My only issue with much of the images is they didn’t really tell a story. There was many very beautifully rendered images of Women and Nudity. This to me just seem to be a easy way to say “Sex Sells”.

I started using Daz3D back in April and started downloading stuff shortly after and what I’ve learned since then is there’s many ways to pretty up a lady throw on some lights and let Iray lights do the magic to create something beautiful.

Since I’ve entered this contest and some what before this contest I’ve been trying to move away from pretty women for pretty women sake. When I design a female character I layer clothes from many different sources to create an exquisite outfit (which is why it’s kinda hard for me to post the items I used in my scene). 1 character has items from 5 to 10 products alone.

Anyway my point is when I design something using Daz3D I want to be able to show it to my Mother or my Girlfriend without having to tell them why I keep making Artwork with nude or sexually stylized women. I want to be able to show prospective employers that this program can be use for advertising just as much as normal photography.

There’s many great rendered women on here, why not try to tell a story about them instead of just sexualizing them (Renderosity has enough of that in their gallery and their products advertisement).

PS: A lot of us need to work on our lighting and Rendering skills. It’s my biggest weakness as well. But I’m practicing hopefully I’ll have something good for the next contest.

October 9, 2018 at 11:36 am
Profile photo of D0GG0D

D0GG0D

said

Sex sells, ever see a 230 pound 5ft2 woman ask for a drink in a beer commercial?

October 9, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Profile photo of Dragon

Dragon

said

@tommytomahawk wow… Seriously dude? You think your entry was a bowl of onion rings plus a 1lb Fuddruckers Angus Bacon Cheeseburger?
Talk about a sore loser.

October 9, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Profile photo of den

den

said

arthur g Thanks for the contest
Congrats to all the winners

October 9, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2013 ZoneGfx. All rights reserved.                                                            Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest