3. Results and Critique Thread for What Inspired You Contest.

Home Page Forums Art Competition 3. Results and Critique Thread for What Inspired You Contest.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Bot101
    Participant

My Dear Dragon, it's all good. There were no losers in this contest. Not exactly T-Ball but mainly an old man wanting to show his appreciation for the Arts and the Artists here on ZoneGFX. By the way, I am as you know a Connoisseur of delectable cuisine. Are the Fuddruckers Angus Bacon Cheeseburgers really that good? Now you've got me intrigued palate to trek on down to the nearest Fuddruckers to see if in fact that burger is as good as @tommytomahawk 's entry. Let me tell you something, when I say I loved each entry for their own merits, you can believe it that all of my supposed 23 personalities were moved by each entry to a whole new level.

@Hunter
    has informed me that all prizes have been awarded for the contestants. Now I will work on compiling a list of gratitude points for the persons that submitted a vote. I loved this contest so much I made it my wallpaper.

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

@Dragon You misunderstand. I am not 'sore'. I was expecting to lose. This is a mainstream forum after all, populated mostly by people with mainstream tastes. I'm actually shocked I got as many votes as I did.

I actually don't really care all that much, as I have my own audience elsewhere. By comparing my entry with shitty food, however, you are attempting to kick a defeated opponent while he's down. I'm pretty sure this says more about you than it does about me.

Mark Sinister
    Participant

Yeah I know sex sell guys, just figured we try to challenge ourselves. You know what this reminds me of? Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Anyway that was just my critique no big deal right?

Dragon
    Participant

@tommytomahawk I didn't misunderstand at all. You can back peddle all you want but, you said what you said instead accepting your placement gracefully. As far as the food, I'm sorry you don't appreciate a good burger. But to each their own.

@arthurgarcia I actually don't know if Fuddruckers serves Angus beef. And I haven't been to Fuddruckers since I left California over 10 years ago. But I personally enjoy their burgers. However, I will tell you, if you ever get to the East Bay area of Ca, scope out a Caspers Hotdogs. Best hot dog you'll ever have. 🙂

Matt
    Participant

Thanks! I mean, like I said, I just entered the competition for fun! If I had actually wanted to compete, I would have put one of my life drawings turned renders of my wife.

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

@Dragon I am not backpedaling. I maintain that prejudice cost me votes. I publicly compared my fetish to that of Ted Bundy, so is it so wrong to assume some people are put off by this and give me a nice wide berth? This fetish stuff isn't for everybody. You wouldn't believe some of the hate comments I've had to remove since I started posting my stuff. Not here, luckily.

But, again, I'm not mad. I understand. A heartfelt 'thank you' to the organizer for letting me take part.

About the burger, now YOU are the one backpedaling. From the wording and tone it's clear your comparison of my work with a hamburger was meant in a derogatory fashion.

PainsPlayground
    Participant

@Tom Vleminckx I thought your work was interesting and it's piqued my interest as far as doing more work with corpses in my renders. I've shied away from them because I've had so much trouble getting the skin to render without looking rubbery but, seeing the quality of your work, I'm going to give it another shot. As for the fetish thing, yeah.. fetishes tend to scare ALOT of people. I've been called all sorts of names for my kinks and it can get downright hurtful. I'm glad to see that you haven't let naysayers drive you away from your art.

@Dragon
    I'm in the North SF Bay area and, as far as I know, they still use angus beef BUT don't quote me on that. I haven't been to a Fudruckers in AGES. They took the one out that was down near Pier 39 in Frisco. As for hotdog places, hands down, my favorite is the Doggie Diner near SF Zoo. That place is AWESOME.

EdnaCloud
    Participant

@marksinister

I am with you mate, a story first for me, then the rest sometimes falls into place, but I think overall this was an excellent contest and a good chance for people to try some new things out maybe 🙂

PhantomF4
    Participant

Back from my wifi-free vacation and just wanted to give a belated congrats to @shadowdemonlord, @lapucelle, and everyone who entered.

Also want to say thank you to all who voted for me and especially to @arthurgarcia for hosting this contest.

Techsnoop
    Participant

Thanks @arthurgarcia for holding this. It's my first contest and I did not expect to place at all. Really glad. I'll try to enter more, but render time is killer. Congrats to all.

ShadowDemonLord
    Participant

Congrats right back at you Rob. Hope the vacation was relaxing.

SDL.

Dragon
    Participant

LOL I don't need to backpedal. lame attempt to shift it away from yourself.
    I don't care if you do dead people, pond lilies or frogs jumping over the moon during a football game while unicorns blow rainbow fart bubbles. Your subject matter isn't exclusive here, so get over yourself. There's a diversity of interests and genres on the Zone. Not everyone likes scifi, but I'm not going to blame my loss on prejudice. LOL
    I saw comments praising your art on DA from another thread here. And I saw your DA pics. I won't blow smoke up you ass. You need to work a lot on your renders. You need to add lighting first and foremost. The "I want it dark" excuse isn't going to fly.If you can't see it or you have to strain your eyes to see it, then its no good.
    There are a lot of tutorials out there on lighting and composition. Take advantage of them. Ask questions of artists here and elsewhere, that you admire.

@painsplayground
    you seriously need to seek out a Casper Dogs. I lived in Concord/Walnut Creek for 25 years. I've had them flown to me here in Wa .

ADAM
    Participant

Ok, I had no idea I would even place. I dropped an alien in a hdri and went on vacation. I mostly wanted an image above my story not an entry.

That said, I got a pay chech that says several votes will go toward an entry just for showing some T+A. Not all votes but some undecided may lean towards more skin. Some will instantly pick more skin. I have lately been voting the opposite way because if just this. If I believe the render to be superior ill vote in that manner but if its equal, I wont select an image with nudity. Im not just talking women since im sure we mostly like rendering women. Im talking posting T+A. Next would be wimen pulling votes. Most males will lean toward a quality render with a woman vs a man all things being equal. I rarely see a man get a lot of votes unless its an outstanding render.
    I am also guilty of this. To say that the mind between your legs doesnt influence your vote "occasionally" is avoiding the observation. Ultimately if you put up a piece for a vote you should accept the consequences. If i put up male, it better be damn good to beat a reasonably go T+A shot or maybe i should just add some boobs.

PhantomF4
    Participant

@d0gg0d

I'll chime in on that.

I was guilty of putting T&A in my render, although it was not just for the sake of rendering T&A. I found an OLD render that I had done at the turn of the century in an archaic version of Poser and thought it might be original to update it to today's technology for the competition. I actually entered it in spite of the fact that it included nudity.

The truth is, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I watch a lot of artists on DA that render nothing but nudity. Many of them, I mute... it can be tiring to see the same boring "come f.. me" poses and expressions over and over again. Some of the best artists on DeviantArt don't use nudity in their renders at all, and I admire their work very much.

I've actually started to veer away from using nudity in my images because I simply don't want to be known for it. I would rather be recognized as a good artist that is skilled in posing, lighting, and postwork rather than constantly relying on T&A to get noticed.

ADAM
    Participant

@robf4g210

Not at all against skin. I like viewing tastefully done (artistic) nudity. Ive nothing against sexual material but I personally would rather view real pron than a render.

Based off my observations, my opinion is showing the female body in all its glory will tend to draw more praise than one without it. 2 renders done equally well with one a nude male and the other a nude female, the female will draw more vote just because of the audience. Any render without a babe is starting at a disadvantage.

I like women so I tend to render mostly women. I do enjoy rendering a male every so often to break up the pattern. Same thing when I play video games. I will play a female when the option is allowed since 90% of all games force you to play as a man.

It also is my observation that a lot of female artist will render women over men. So not only are men bias but women are also towards women. I male rendering most men might be considered gay but a woman rendering pixies and dryads would not.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like