Work in progress - Feedback appreciated - Let The Hunt Begin

Home Page Forums Art Showcase Work in progress - Feedback appreciated - Let The Hunt Begin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ShadowDemonLord
    Participant

Work in progress - Feedback appreciated:

WIP - Let The Hunt Begin

Thanks SDL.

Cassandre
    Participant

I don't know if you wanted to have your feedback directly on this page or in pm, so I took a chance. I can delete it later if you want me to.

First, I really like your render. Great movement, I feel like at, any moment, she'll take her shot and that's really nice, a great blend between stillness, focus and action. I think the shadows are a bit harsh, especially on her face. Maybe use a bigger mesh lights? This my opinion and I'm really not an expert. I hope to see the final product and have a great day. 🙂

ShadowDemonLord
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. Yes her face is a bit dark but that will not be here final shooting position I think. Waiting to get a few more elements sorted before completing the setup. Many thanks for taking the time to check my work.

Have a great day as well.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

Firstly, nothing to do with your render I know but I hate that bow with a passion. The shape is unnecessary and the model doesn't make logical sense to me. You've got the arrow passing through (what looks like) a hole in the handle that the fletching won't pass through and bow string seems as if it's attached to the shortest point of the bow rather than using the strength of the curve.... but anyway...

There's 2 issues I would say are pulling away from what would be a great picture, too much green and swirling shapes confusing the silhouette of your figure. Because you've got one predominant colour in your scene, there's very little to distinguish depths in your scene. Even if you were to darken the background or maybe use more blue sky I think it would improve. The swirling shapes of your figures clothes, I would pick a wind direction and stick with it.

I would also think about what you want to display in your picture, do you only want to show the archer or maybe even allude to what she's aiming at and create some narrative? A full length figure shot to me just seems like a product promo picture, like a catalogue pose, "here is my product, look at it". Whereas an artistic picture would be telling a story, nudging the audiences subconscious and asking it what it thought was happening. Making your imagination fill in the blanks.

Some suggestions, have her kneeling on one knee and move her closer to the tree with the interesting texture. Try and eliminate as much grass as you can, the closest grass doesn't look great and it adds too much unnecessary green. Maybe add a bag, pack or sack that she's just put down to take her shot. Just something on the ground that indicates she's been doing something other than posing for a picture and maybe even walking around. Maybe add another figure into the foreground, could she be teaching someone archery or being taught herself? Maybe she's already gotten a kill or someone has done something that warrants her taking her shot? Just think about the figure, what their "motivation" might be and then add or take away things that make or don't make sense.

jason david
    Participant

Let the hunt begin. I read the title before i saw the work and I was a bit disappointed by the stillness of the figure and there is no game>>> I liked the colors and the lights but maybe she could be down on one knee or two and bring much more mother nature at work <i don't know trees or roots but without prey in sight it's really hard and you tried very well just my 2 cents great work
    J

ShadowDemonLord
    Participant

Thanks - I will try and answer as best as I can to the ideas pointed out.

The "too much" insert colour here issue I have often and I completely colour across quite a few spectrums (red/green be the most severe). Before I push out what I consider to be my final version of something I ask my wife to run a colour eye over it to pick up over colour saturation and odd colours I may have selected. So I hope to have this sorted in the final render.

The starting position and poses are open to modification and I appreciate the suggestions. The reason she is standing should become clear once the rest of the scene unfolds (their are other "fellowship" members to be included - one that the archer is taller than. This is subject to change.

Finally - oh yes there will be "prey". Just not the kind you think. The work is far from done but wanted to put my 1st steps out there. Many thanks for the replies and suggestions, it has given me quite a bit to think about.

SDL.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

A good artists trick is the squint test. Squint your eyes until you can't make out detail and find areas of your picture that draw your eye, be it light, dark, colour or shape. Then work on the piece until your eye is drawn to the desired spots on your work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like