What Graphics Card do you use?

Home Page Forums General Chat What Graphics Card do you use?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Mystic Fortune
    Participant

I’m planning to build a new rig in the next few weeks. My brother usually helps me plan my builds and he and I were discussing what kind of video card I would need. I wasn’t actually sure on that because I’ve not looked too much into what iray requires. From what I can tell, the more CUDAs the better… but I wanted to get some opinions on what everyone is using for their rigs to render in iray?

Some of you may know that I still render my scenes in 3Delight, because I don't the most powerful rig. Currently I'm using this card,
    EVGA GeForce GTX 580
    Which wasn't purchased by me new. It was acquired through a friend of a friend.

For reference, this is the card I was thinking of going with.
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1060

I’m sort of on a budget, so we’re trying to keep the card price under $300.

everyone
    Participant

gtx 950M
    4gb vram

Virtual Tiger
    Participant

EVGA GeForce GTX 970
    4GB

Anonymous
    Inactive

The GTX 1060 you are looking at is the one I have. I have not had any issues. I frequently render complete scenes in iray in sizes of 8000x8000 or so in 2-3 hours. A 2000 or smaller, even set to 99% will usually be done in an hour. Honestly I tend to set it for really high and then just check on the render and stop it when it's good. And that is usually within 30 minutes for a 1000 to 2000 size, and within two hours for anything under 10000px

I have learned that making sure optix is checked (and installing the optix software from their developer site) helps a lot. Also I leave mine set to only use the GPU. It still will use CPU if it needs but telling to only use the gpu if it can doesn't seem to change the render time, and that way I can still browse, listen to music etc without any issues.

DvLMan
    Participant

GTX 1080
    8gb

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have 2 12GB Maxwell Titans.
    Does the job nicely. No need for the CPU to be used as it tends to bottleneck
    any render.

Can I suggest the OP could save a few bucks by looking on ebay.
    There are many cards on offer at low prices, some still under long term warranty.
    Stick with EVGA because their warranty is the best out there IMO.

Mystic Fortune
    Participant

@Jason Bodary Do you use a PhysX card at all, or just the sole GTX 1060? Does iray benefit from a PhysX card? I was thinking of setting my 580 as a PhysX card for gaming and figured it couldn't hurt with DAZ Studio as well.

Last year I was using the 580 as my main card and a spare GTX 460 as a PhysX card for a few weeks and saw a slight improvement when rendering in both engines right up to the point where I burned out a too small of a power supply. lol

everyone
    Participant

@norbetz you have 24gb vram????
    lucky guy;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@everyone

I know it's complete overkill but I dislike waiting a long time for renders.
    It also helps when I do an Iray preview as the scene won't lag as it did with my 780 Ti's

Heat is my only enemy, the room is like a sauna.
    I have to re-apply new thermal paste to the GPU's every few months because both of them have ACX cooling. Iray makes them run at near maximum temps 🙁

everyone
    Participant

cool!!!!! try water cooling instead of normal fans(regular cooling)..... 24 GB wtf😎

Mystic Fortune
    Participant

If you don't mind me asking, what are you guys' other computer specs?

This is what I'm looking at to build, aside from running DAZ, I also plan to use this rig for gaming.

AMD 8350 8-core 4.0 GHz
    ASUS MB
    32 gbs of Ram
    GTX 1060 6 Gigs
    500 gb SSD

Anonymous
    Inactive

The case is maxed out. Only a fan controller keeps them from burning out.
    My overclocked CPU is water cooled, but even that generates a lot of heat in the room. The ambient temps are a killer and I have 2 fans keeping me cool in the summer. Also helps keeping my PC temps under control, a little anyway.

everyone
    Participant

@norbetz you have a private nuclear powerplan??😆
    i need to opgrade my shit.. no wonder Octane dont render all my scenes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i7-5960x
    EVGA X99 Motherboard
    64gb DDR4 RAM
    2 X EVGA Maxwell Titan Z
    500GB SSD
    2TB WD Enterprise as backup.

I'm not rich folks. most of it's used parts 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

@everyone

Hahaha!

Maxed out with DAZ it only pulls 700 Watts for a few seconds.

I suggest used if you want to upgrade as a lot of the hardware isn't worth the high price tag. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I thought all my hardware would somehow give me faster results. It doesn't.
    TBH it's only slightly faster than my retired X79 setup 🙁
    VRAM and / or CUDA are key to Iray rendering.
    My old 780 Ti's just didn't have enough VRAM despite having 2880 CUDA cores per card.

I'd love to be able to afford Octane. Lucky you 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like