Question about making my own textures...?

Home Page Forums General Chat Question about making my own textures...?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lunabean
    Participant

So I've recently fallen quite in love with the Little Bit Droid character, or more specifically his TV head version. I want to use him in a small project I'm doing but frankly his options on facial emotes is abysmal. Not counting the rusted texture pack additions there's only 3, and that frankly wont do with what I want to do with him. So, I thought I'd ask, does anyone have a recommended way of editing the textures on a model? I'm not too bad with image editing, and I know my way around most mainstream art programs, I just don't know the precise way to find the textures I want. If worst comes to worst, I can try and substitute the BARF robot's facial textures into new files to copy onto Little Bit. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.

eelgoo

If the item comes with template files, texture onto them with Photoshop / GIMP ?

If not search out the files it uses as textures & use them as a template.

🙂

The King
    Participant

If you have one of the extended editions of Photoshop. You can export the model. Then open it in photoshop 3d mode and paint right on the model. The is also Substance Painter 2 but I have not had much time with that.

If you can't do either of those you can simply find the textures in you installed location. Make copies of them to edit. Then open the copies in photoshop or gimp and paint them.

Mars
    Participant

@Lunabean

I started originally by working with the original texture files and the templates, if available. If you have the template, load that as the texture to see how the template lines up with the model. Then modify the bits you please, on the original map.

If you don't have the template, you can use UVMapper to make one. Simply export the model as an OBJ, then load it in UVMapper and output the result. You can choose different options in creating the UVs, depending on your needs.

If you want to create completely new textures, just do image searches for seamless textures for your base and then cannibalize any other pictures that have anything you want to incorporate. If you have software that supports them, USE LAYERS! It will save you loads of time, plus you can tweak the blending options for different effect.

You'd have to make bump maps and the other ancillary maps, of course. But there are scads of programs that will generate those from your diffuse map.

Good luck!

Lunabean
    Participant

Thank you all so much for the tips! This sounds simple enough, so I can't wait to try it! The feedback was very helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like