Poor etiquette?

Home Page Forums General Chat Poor etiquette?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Tony Joseph
    Participant

But then, what kind of etiquette is it if one of those who said they would give points renegs and decides not to give them? Being the person who supplied said 'lady octopus thing', of the five that offered points, only four have paid up, even though all five were given pm's.

CJK
    Participant

Tony -- there have been a couple of times I've posted things for points and when I set it all up for the point giver and send them the link they say "sorry I got it from someone else" even when they haven't posted in the request thread that the request has been filled. It makes me wonder if the person is being honest -- I can imagine it would be easy to use that as an excuse for not giving points to the request filler *after* the link has already been given. But these things happen *shrug*

ulysses
    Participant

@clayjanken

you should be able to see how many people downloaded the file from the link you provided. If you had 5 people say they'd pay and 5 downloads, then it's most probable that all 5 downloaded it. If only 4 downloads, then one probably didn't. That's why is almost always good to share with the blog at some point. You'll end up getting a lot more points in the end by sharing with hundreds of folks (at a modest 20 points a share).

ulysses
    Participant

@777s, probably some sharers are afraid they'll somehow get outed if they buy something and share it. Other than serial numbered items, this has been dispelled, but some posers are probably still nervous.

Some sharers might not know how this site works and don't know they can get even more points if they share it with the whole site through the blog. Some might think it's a hassle to share it with the site. Instead of just posting one link in a PM, you have to download a picture, include a description, etc.

Now I think all those reasons are kinda lame but....

I think AndyMc4 and Errilhl have the right idea, which is to encourage those who share stuff to post it on the site for everyone and offer to do it for them. Perhaps by offering an extra 500 points if necessary. That's what I do when sharers don't want it shared publicly. Sometimes they say yes and sometimes they say no.

Tony Joseph
    Participant

I will always share after I pm the requester(s). - in my opinion, this is only proper. Today I waited about four hours before sharing it...However, if a requester that offered a bounty doesn't pay up within a reasonable time frame (say, two to three hours after pm), then the original link will be changed before I post to the site. If he got it, oh well. If not, then I may not get the bounty from him, but he'll still have to pay for it. and if the link got leaked, then I fixed the leak at the same time.

CJK
    Participant

@ulysses

I always share what I have afterwards, no worries. I'd like to know how to check the number of downloads on a MEGA link -- it's something I've looked for in the menus, but haven't seemed to find. Where is it?

Tony Joseph
    Participant

I'm not on mega, only mediafire and number of downloads shows after the file name - though I'm not sure what the update frequency is so it is rather hard to tell how accurate it really is... i.e. yesterday within two hours after I posted the pm's for octiana, it showed 23 downloads...after I changed the link, it showed zero until just about an hour ago, and now is showing 180...and refreshing the page doesn't change anything

ADAM
    Participant

Never had an issue with payment. If you got a person that doesnt pay, report it to a mod. If it happens again report it to the community.

eelgoo

Sound advice from Adam there!

ShadowDemonLord
    Participant

Agree with the points above. I post a LOT of requests. I also join in on others bounties going for a mega bounty to entice upload if it is an item I want. If sharer says do not post so a: they can post or b: they do want it shared I honour that. I may not agree but that is the sharers right to ask.

We have had a couple of successful mega bounties lately. Works well. What I don't want to see happen is people buying items and not sharing until their item receives a bounty - that is also contrary to the spirit of this blog.

And lastly while we are talking etiquette, if you are the sharer please for the love of all that is holy share the complete files in the format you downloaded them. No unzipping then rar'ing the content - dim installers just have to unrar and zip it up again. Include the templates, mac files, poser files etc. Makes life easier for everyone. You may not need them, but others may be downloading the file for thiose very files.

That's enough pontificating from me. SDL.

eelgoo

SDL said:

' What I don’t want to see happen is people buying items and not sharing until their item receives a bounty – that is also contrary to the spirit of this blog. '

Another worrying recent currently developing trend, is for additional bounties being offered for already privately shared items.
    In an ideal world, this would not be an issue as the item would have already been publicly posted by either the donor or recipient.

:0/

Errilhl
    Participant

@tony0558 If you experience bounties not being paid, definitely report it to a mod. They can, if they want to, force the payment, or just transfer the missing points, and so on.

I had to check, as I was one of the people joining that request, but it seems I've paid you, at least 😀

As for the general "share, and share alike", I wholeheartedly agree, and I think most people on here do as well. Some might have other ideas, ofc, and I won't necessarily say they're wrong, but yeah, at least I do share the names of people like this with friends and such, so they can do their own assessment.

Personally, I find the lack of public sharing, if you have something available that isn't on here, "bad faith", but I do realise that not everyone thinks the same way.

Me, I share everything I find on here, as soon as I'm able to put it up, and every time I buy something, or find a stash of older stuff, I check everything on here, and if I can't find it, I add it. It's that simple.

Tony Joseph
    Participant

FWIW...the person that had not paid yet actually did - the following day, as he was not able to log in at that time. He did pay the bounty, and actually bumped it a little because of the delay.

As for sharing publicly; I do definitely agree that all should be shared. I just prefer to wait a day or two after I fulfill a request to make the post public.

ADAM
    Participant

People dont always log in daily. Ive slacked lately and played PS4 without logging in for a week. I usually give them a few days and I think you might be able to see their log in history but I cant remember atm. In some cases Ive had request a month old sent to me and Ive had to ask what my offer was.

What could be interesting is a point bank filled by members for an item. Once approved the uploader gets the points.
    That involves a bit.of mod interaction and Im not sure they'd wsnt the extra work.

Kre@tionz
    Participant

I thought it was clear that if an item was requested then filled, that item should not be posted without the original uploader's consent? Here is a classic example: Tyrannosaurus Rex 3 was requested and I provided the link via PM and it was posted without my consent. Lesson? Do not fill any more requests? Your thoughts.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like