Poor etiquette?

Home Page Forums General Chat Poor etiquette?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Eidersson
    Participant

Hi all. A quick question.

After browsing through the "Requests Forum", I've noticed a lot of requests have been filled yet a lot of the items do not appear on the ZoneGFX website.

I'm aware it's purely personal choice if people wish to upload and share, but is it considered bad manners to upload an item that someone has purchased from another member? I'm just curious.

Errilhl
    Participant

Unless you've been given permission, yes, it's bad form. If others want the asset, point them to the original person you got it from.

Personally, I usually ask if the person claiming the reward has plans to post it, and if not, if I can post it myself.

I also, at times, offer a bonus if I can post the item myself (say 2500 - 10000 points extra) for that benefit.

But yes, I do agree that if you have the asset, and have gotten a bounty, you should post it for regular download as well.

Plebby
    Participant

I usually ask others I've shared an item with not to post it but I also point out that I will be posting it myself. No one has went against my wishes as yet. I would ask them first if I were you, just to be on the safe side. They may operate a blacklist and you'd want to avoid that.

Eidersson
    Participant

Thanks for the replies and help, it's very much appreciated.

Daishi
    Participant

I also agree it's rather poor etiquette.

That said, I see it as being the one who fills the request who should put it up unless they give up the right.

That said, if you fill a request, once you get your points you should post it up. This kind of site is share and share alike. If you're going to be spending all those points on stuff other people have uploaded, you should return the favor.

eelgoo

I agree with the OP & Daishi.

Whilst I do honour requests not to publicly post items, I would rather items were posted publicly for all the members to enjoy.

I feel that once a bounty has been paid, in some cases by multiple people, whenever possible that item should be posted by either the donor or recipient.

Open sharing within this community is my prime motivation for posting my request lists.

eelgoo

Any chance of making this a sticky, please? @tomsk

AndyMc4
    Participant

Errihl writes "Personally, I usually ask if the person claiming the reward has plans to post it, and if not, if I can post it myself." I used to do this, but am now going further. I have adopted the policy that I will not pay out unless the original owner of the asset agrees either (1) they will post it or (2) I can post it. If you look at my latest request, you will see "I’m not interested in private shares that I cannot post."

I ask that everyone adopts this policy.

There are two special cases where an item should not be shared, and these should be respected.
    - The poster intends to share the item eventually and does not want you to post it before him/her (David's point). Paying a bounty in this case is consistent with my policy anyhow, the item will be posted sooner or later
    - there are a few sensitive items that should not be shared

ulysses
    Participant

imo it's 100% up to the sharer. I would never accept a share and then post it if the sharer didn't want me to. THAT is poor etiquette. Do I think everything should be shared in the blog? Absolutely. But I also know that anything shared here is almost immediately available at load or one of phoung's sites. That rubs at some sharers and I can understand their side.

Public sharing is vital to sites like this. I think 90% of stuff probably gets shared publicly within a couple of weeks. The system is working well the way it is. Trying to publicly browbeat or shame private sharers might end up being counter productive.

Errilhl
    Participant

I've experienced a few private shares, where the sharer asks that I, if I want to share it further, wait at least a few weeks, so as to avoid immediate "oh, HE did it" from the asset creator. Some asset creators are also very much going for takedowns of any shares they spot, so there's that.

I do, however, agree with the "share everything". I usually post stuff on here the minute I get my hands on it, either by picking it up from another site, or by buying it on DAZ store. If there is a bounty out, I cash that in, and then share, ofc, but usually, when I share the Mega-link for a bounty, the item is already in the upload queue.

Sitting on tons of content that isn't in the wild, is to me sort of silly. I won't call it anything worse than that, but it takes maybe a minute or two to share an item here, and that includes putting the image up somewhere, uploading to Mega, and so on.

If you use this site, and download from others, then you should, if you ever have the opportunity, put up stuff that isn't here.

AndyMc4
    Participant

We are 100% aligned, Errihl
    - "where the sharer asks that ... wait at least a few weeks, so as to avoid immediate “oh, HE did it” from the asset creator." This is entirely fair, and is the third special case that I forgot to mention.
    - "Some asset creators are also very much going for takedowns of any shares they spot". I mentioned "sensitive items that should not be shared". This is what I mean by a sensitive item, I just didn't want to spell it out quite so directly.
    - And I could go though the rest of your comments point by point, but let's just say a blanket "I agree"

Ulysses, I agree that "it’s 100% up to the sharer. I would never accept a share and then post it if the sharer didn’t want me to." I am not saying that I think it is OK to share things publically that have been shared privately. I am saying that I will no longer pay bounties for items that will not be shared (except in the special cases). This is not brow-beating or shaming anyone. Someone wants my points? He/she can have them if he/she shares or lets me share. Someone doesn't want the item shared? That's equally OK, but that is a choice that also means that he/she will receive no points from me

ulysses
    Participant

It's cool AndyMc4. My concern now is that, as I have in the past, I offer points on items that you are also offering points on in the same thread. Does it hurt the rest of us who aren't going to withhold points to tag along on those threads. This is going to create multiple threads for the same item. Some threads for people who won't give points unless it's shared and some for those who will give points regardless. How will this affect the current ability of requesters to combine points to coax someone to share. Example: 5 people offer 25000 points total for some octopus lady thing. 2 of those people will not give points unless the person sharing also shares on the blog. That offer is now 25000 if all conditions are met, or let's say 12,000 if not. Confusing and dilutes the mighty morphing power of combining point offers.

They're your points of course and you're free to do with them as you like. We'll see how it plays out in the long run. Hopefully, this works out for everyone.

Jaybird
    Participant

I've never understood the private sharing arrangements where public release is forbidden. It seems hypocritical to buy something from a content creator under an express agreement not to share it with anyone then turn around a share that with people with a stipulation that they don't violate a similar agreement with you.

ADAM
    Participant

While I wont release a item sent to me if requested not to, I think its a dick move to not share on a share forum.
    If everyone hoarded items noone would have 1/10 of what we have now.

AndyMc4
    Participant

OK, now I see your point, Ulysess. I thought we differed at a philosophical level, wheeras I am pretty sure from your last reply that we are aligned philosophically. You are pointing out an important practical argument and I now see a big hole in my argument.

It is important that we can piggy-back on each other's threads both to reduce the number of threads, and to have one large pool of points for an item rather than multiple small pools. Unless everyone buys into my position (and why should they?), I break this.

I will take a more pragmatic position. I'll pay out even for non-shared items to facilitate sharing requests.

A good discussion! We have covered a lot of ground, aired some very diverse opinions, but ultimately converged.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like