RESOLVED/CLOSED: Fixing the Shares from 02-04 AUG

Home Page Forums General Chat RESOLVED/CLOSED: Fixing the Shares from 02-04 AUG

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@AnjaBear

Sounds like it. But it's the possibility of malware being in the main Runtime textures that concerns me most.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, update:

Ran a virus - Rootkit and malware scan on all files downloaded from here, and nothing detected.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sources are unknow as far as we can tell.

DAZ and Rendo are fully aware of these sites. Would they upload malware we ask, perhaps, but not ransomware. Is it illegal to upload ransomware or malware, I think so.

NobunagaOda
    Participant

Ok I found two archives wit the "bogus" pictures in them. I scanned these, no virus was detected but I deleted the pics nonetheless. Now I'll try and run more tests on these archives.
    Damn. Last time I saw something on this scale happened was somewhen in the end of the nineties when a polymorphic virus made its way on the sharing programs like emule and such, specifically in daz and rendo files too.

AnjaBear

I personally wish that those sharing would NOT TOUCH the original installer files, or repack them or add stuff that isn't part of the original distribution.

I spend lots of time rebuilding the DIM installers cause people figure they could just rip them apart and eliminate the installer files which place metadata into the program, and add the items to the DIM Installer history - which allow me to uninstall stuff I may have installed when I dont' need it anymore. Just because someone doesn't use DIM to install doesn't mean that the other 50% know what to do without it. I think that is super unfair to rip stuff apart and think you're doing someone a favor, when you are leaving them helpless.

With Renderosity stuff I always look at the sales page which always lists HOW MANY ZIPS are included, and how large they are. If that doesn't match, I won't take a risk of using a combined zip or rar file because I have no clue what might be in them or if there is something missing or omitted from the original distribution.

Maybe I am too picky but I have lost full hard drives full of stuff that was precious to me, and cannot be recovered because some idiot planted a virus in a shared file.

Anja

AnjaBear

I found another fun thing in one file:

A little warning and a BAT

A Batch File with attached warning text... hmmmm

Anja

Dynasty
    Participant

Can we have a list of the potential products that were infected so far? I had no idea the Bogus thing meant that the files inside were infected. I have no clue what I have installed and not that may have had the Bogus images...
    I am blind. I didn't see the list in the first post, my bad.

thoastah
    Participant

This is pretty alarming and irritating. It seems to be bypassing my Norton antivirus. I will have to check all my downloads now. Is this the only known infected batch outside of the MEGA folder?

Elim
    Participant

@eelgoo - I was posting from my ipad, as I woke up around 5am. Was looking at my DA notifications and seeing what was happening here on FB.

The only thing I ever do is zip them into multiple files into 1 file. Anyways, uploaded the file and shall send it to @AnjaBear

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would add to the list those products that were deliberately spoiled. for example here:
    https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/tatiana-hd-and-expression-for-genesis-8-female/
    https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/problem-with-cart-girl-outfit-textures/
    https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/xiao-yun-texure-problem/
    and there was also a message about this product (virus):
    https://zonegfx.com/nessalaeyn-for-genesis-8-female/
    but I did not download - I will not confirm.
    why am I sure that the textures were deliberately damaged?
    in the Daz gallery there are already renders with these products - but there are no massive complaints on the forum, but these are quite popular products and a lot of people bought them. there was a moment when daz released a product with damaged textures - so a topic about it immediately arose on the forum, and there were many messages. now there is silence. it means that daz has released a quality product, the damage occurred before it was posted here.

Dynasty
    Participant

Check who posted these and permanently hardware ban them.

Dragon
    Participant

fuck me. im sorry. i loaded a couple of these. should i just delete them and have the post here delted?

Dragon
    Participant

For those saying ban the uploader, I say fuck you. It was multiple posters so it wasnt a malicious act by a group of people here that decided to do this. I know this because I was one of the posters and would never do that. but I didnt post every thing. Shit happens.

ShadowDemonLord
    Participant

We have now been getting this for a few months now. Files removed or moved from the content folders, categories removed or changed so the files do not work in smart content, changes to the supplement or manifest files to cause the file to fail to install in DIM. Then we had the recent flurry of texture files changed to add the graffiti. Escalating to the point of adding malware is beyond stupid.

I have heard some of this has been done by people from one site trying to mess with another site. Sadly this is on flowing to the rest of the community now as well.

I have not been downloading as much as I used to just because I can no longer trust the files from some sites. I more look at who uploaded the file and if I know the nick and know they have been onsite the site for awhile then I am more likely to trust the file.

If a file appears and the uploader is new to me and the site, I will wait for feedback on the files before pulling the trigger.

I can fix most issues as long as the files are there and not damaged. But this is making it even less attractive to participate on the site if you are risking getting damaged and / or dangerous files.

I think most on here know me well enough. I have a history on the site going back to about 2017 I think (whenever Victoria 8 came out). To say the community has changed and not for the better hurts me to say, and there is still a lot of good people running and using the site.

But we need to squash this latest trend fast or the blog will degenerate into people just trading privately with people they know and trust.

So ends my speech. I will get off the soapbox now so someone else can have a go.

SDL.

Elim
    Participant

I'm confused over the one item that on the list - that I posted, as it didn't come from that mega share, as I purchased it around that time. Anything new that I upload comes from purchases I've made.

The item is the Super Hero Suit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Moderator: The item was in the MEGA that was shared with us, so I had no clue that you also shared one. I cannot be certain that the one I have is yours, hence it stayed on the list - and sure enough the one I have is from the Bogus infected batch. Get me your copy and I will remove it from the list. However, being safe by letting others know that they could have pulled the infected version from that open MEGA link is better than keeping it secret, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • The topic ‘RESOLVED/CLOSED: Fixing the Shares from 02-04 AUG’ is closed to new replies.

Post You Might Like