Guidelines for Voters in Rob’s Contest. The theme is FILM NOIR

Home Page Forums General Chat Guidelines for Voters in Rob’s Contest. The theme is FILM NOIR

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Aftyrbyrn
    Participant

I, too, like the idea. I enjoyed the refresher on the guidelines, though they are just that, guides, right. It's still the viewer that we must please, even if we follow the 'rules' to a T, who's to say who can and cant vote for something based on their own personal taste?

Dragon
    Participant

That film noir video was hilarious as well as instructive. Thanks Jason. lol

ADAM
    Participant

@Aftyr Byrn

This is my side hobby I do to kill time and have fun.
    I do stuff I like how I like it for me. If others like it and enjoy it, all the better.

If I do it for others, then its a job and I already have one of those. I dont get paid for my render in cash but when others like them it makes me happy. Not all share my taste and I understand that.

Do what you like and have fun. If you win some points great.
    If not you haven't lost anything. Several great artists Ive read about, die drunk and poor. Only after they died did they become famous. Before there were rules, what governed art? Dogwood trees are beautiful atm in my area.
    I dont see any following art rules.

PhantomF4
    Participant

Just to clear the air, and to shed light on the process, I thought I'd share my ideas with ya'll on the judging process (although we have several days before the close of the contest)

There will not be a long document with instructions on judging. You will not be required to validate or explain your decisions. There will simply be a template for you to cut and paste and fill in your scores, like below:

Entry 1 (title will be placed here)
    Technical Score (1-10)
    Creative Score (1-10)

Entry 2 (title will be placed here)
    Technical Score (1-10)
    Creative Score (1-10)

and so on...

With this said, I am strongly considering anonymous judging, unless I get numerous protests against it. The reason is simple; I see a huge potential for feelings to get hurt, and that's the last thing I want. Every entry will be judged, so I want to avoid things like "So-and-So only gave me a creative score of 3. What gives, I thought he was my friend" or "So-and-So only gave So-and-So a technical score of 10 because their buddies, otherwise I would have won".

Thoughts?

ADAM
    Participant

That sounds great. So when I give myself a 10 people cant judge me 😉

Could have a rule you cant vote on your own submission.

Poserposter
    Participant

Since I've seen a number of posts on "Don't vote for yourself, If you don't vote for yourself you're crazy, popularity, hurt feelings" etc. etc. etc.

If you want to avoid all of that, you should have designated judges. 3-5 people who didn't participate and will keep it honest.

Otherwise it could be construed in any particular way.

If everyone is going to judge everyone's work, then don't worry about who judges what. It is what it is and we put our work out there to be judged. Sure everyone wants that pat on the back saying "Good Work Artist". However the judging is being done in a constructive way. You wanted your art here to be judged, so let it be.

Everyone has their own style and is good at that style, it's not bad, it's just different. Enjoy your art and make it for yourself. If someone throws a compliment GREAT, if not, you still get to enjoy your own work.

ADAM
    Participant

Let the Moderators "score".

coolcat
    Participant

I think what ever way Jason and you want to do it yous are putting the contest on.

Dragon
    Participant

Jason, Rob... Run YOUR contest the way you want. Your contest, your rules.

Everyone else... Just stop.. If you don't like the contest or the rules, then don't enter and don't vote. Its that simple.

ADAM
    Participant

I think the issue as stated is we've no idea what they are doing AND earlier in the contest THEY asked for input.

I do believe one the reason this contest was formulated is because the designer was challenged to run a contest because he/she kept telling others what they should do. I could be wrong on this...

Reguardless, this is a forum it exists because people wish to communicate there feelings, opinions and ideas. If youd rather we not express our input, I guess we could all go watch a movie or read a book. Books still exist right?

jason david
    Participant

@Herecles I like the lighting and the colors ask some questions to get thew story like Is someone following her Is she following someone?
    Where is she heading and for what? Is A shadow lurking somewhere in a corner...? Is she the Femme Fatale going to meet the Guy...Looks great to me
    Are you using the pyramid?

jason david
    Participant

@Rob Do whatever you wish as you are in charge I think that the idea of Moderators scoring is great I also believe that anonymous voting is FINE Whatever..... The possibilities are endless pick ONE

jason david
    Participant

I am not doing any Computer work so I thought I'd just share this Acrylic painting I have just started at home on the topic of Film Noir and I heartedly/warmly thank everyone taking part in this contest THANK YOU GALS/GUYS THANK YOU
    The Chase
    a man running and the background is a cityscape behind a gate

The mistake I made was I had a canvas of 70x50 and the drawing I did was originally for a 65x50 but still the guidelines and the structure fitted nicely in and the challenge was the lighting Still mor work to do on this one and here is the blueprint link if you want to see it
    https://s19.postimg.cc/tmzqgeb6b/The_Chase_Blueprint.jpg

Oh by the way Daz uses the notorious Dutch Angle too here
    a large wooden baroque room with lots of people talking

ADAM
    Participant

Nice painting. Something I wish I could do.

jason david
    Participant

@Adam Thanks a lot for your encouragements Got too feel every line and every touch of color in your hands...
    very rewarding experience...

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like