Friendship Requests

Home Page Forums General Chat Friendship Requests

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    enjoyify
    Participant

I use it to loosely track who I've had fruitful interactions with. It's especially helpful if a member changes their username.

I ignore or deny the many requests from new members who haven't contributed. I can't imagine anyone having their feelings hurt.

slender331man
    Participant

I'd just check the profile of the sender lol. if it's an empty profile without any forum interaction or contribution, it's an instant reject.

quite recently there are new, empty profiles whose first thing they did was spamming friend requests, it's quite a no-brainer reject as well

stachelzelle
    Participant

🤔 hmm, maybe it's a wise decision not to accept just everyone. i have only a couple added and never got requests from empty profiles or spammers, so i didn't saw it as a problem. but i think in the future i will keep an eye on it, don't want to support any spammers.

AnjaBear

I make it a habit only to accept friend requests from people I have shared stuff with or who have shared stuff with me. Anyone without a profile image, or less than 6 months old on the site, I will not accept. As a Moderator I have no interest in being spambombed.

Since the system's "TO" field in PMs is broken, it used to present me the names of people I was friends with, so I didn't have to look up their original names, but since the last huge update - that is now totally borked and shows me nothing, hence I need to look up every name, and add them manually when distributing stuff. So there isn't really much of a point in having friends here, since the feature is pretty much useless anymore. Only to show me a "FEW" Friends currently online, but that is it.

Cheers,
    AnjaBear

ducksick
    Participant

@gelstat depends where you move around. i have my circle of contacts, sites i check out and that’s fine for me.

@eelgoo
    it was in jest, of course, albeit i can’t say michael corleone’s advice is bad …

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

"Doesn’t seem worth the trouble on a small scale, but maybe with bot aggregation it’s worth something to somebody *shrug*."

This is the funny part. It reminds me of the old point-farming bots they used to have in World Of Warcraft... where someone would spend a ton of real life effort exploiting code and doing it for imaginary points. Only difference is, in WoW they were able to at least sell the resulting character for enough money to make the effort profitable.

A person in Tech can get paid over $100 USD/hr for similar coding/maintenance efforts, but instead they're using that effort to net the equivalent of maybe $20 USD/hr worth of stuff, given the amount of points a friendship request grants, plus the time it takes for someone to accept one.

I'll give Monk and the gang a lot of credit for making a friendship thing only a small token of points. That was actually pretty wise.

Amber
    Participant

Really, the whole point to having a "Friends" function on a social platform is to supply content channels.
    You're supposed to get activity notifications from Friends, Followers, or Subscriptions that you wouldn't normally get from the general population.

In that spirit, I only accept requests from folks who are clearly active, who may have some kind of activity I might be interested in.
    If I see joined 2 days ago, and has zero activity other than log in and harvest friends for points, hard pass. Nothing personal, just... post something!!

Frank21
    Participant

"...staff could introduce an additional option to add »enemies« if that is more to the liking of some." @Ducksick. Yeh I took that as a joke. The Arnold Rimmer approach wouldn't be conducive to site harmony.

Larry
    Participant

@ducksick I hate social networks and what it has become, and after having been the moderator on a custom Android rom site (its more the development of my rom), I've had my fill of conflict so I limit my interactions on ALL forums, even if the people here are cool ^^

Goblyn
    Participant

I use it to keep track of those who regularly post content, or those I see making requests for items I fill.

I'm like @Anjabear in which I normally don't accept requests from people who are not active in posts and seem like dummy accounts with no avy or profile, sporadically adding friends. My alarm goes off and I look at the request like...

liwic
    Participant

I assume the random requests are bots so I haven't accepted any of them. Unexpected Black Books, what an awesome show though 😀

Ethiopia
    Participant

I think it should cost a bunch of points to ask someone to be your friend here. THAT would stop this kind of BS.

gladson1976
    Participant

@ethiopia In that case.. there shouldn't be an option to accept or reject the friendship.. 'cos I'm actually buying.. 🙂

Better still.. we could also have a subscription model where each person could specify their friendship points.. that would definitely deter the friendship requests 😉

Ethiopia
    Participant

I just got a friendship request from some clown with the handle @grszs. His history shows him doing nothing but gathering 'friends' (680 so far!) then buying stuff with the points.
    Naturally I rejected his request.

I feel strongly that we stop this practice by not giving points for 'friends'.

Grouchy Old Fart
    Participant

Agreed. Unless I've spoken to someone in PMs or forums, I won't accept any.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like