Will installing Daz Central Mean I can't use ZoneGFX?

Will installing Daz Central Mean I can’t use ZoneGFX?

Home Page Forums General Chat Will installing Daz Central Mean I can’t use ZoneGFX?

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
  • I guess what’s ironic is that while I well understand the downside of piracy (hell, I made a living as a software developer) I think I have a pretty clear handle on what is good business practice. Just like brick and mortar retailers accept a certain amount of theft (it’s built in to their business model) so do software folks need to understand that not everyone can or will buy their products. Making them so hard to use that no one can reasonably buy them is just shooting themselves in the foot.

I have spent thousands of dollars on Daz stuff (a quick glance at my account indicates something in the range of 8K in the last three or four years), and will most likely continue to do so. Not everything I want is available here but even stuff that is I often buy to support a developer I like and certainly anything I do to make money is purchased. And while I do get a lot of things here about 90% of it is stuff I would NEVER buy otherwise. IOW, if I didn’t get it free, I wouldn’t get it at all, so they lose no money from me that way.

But I also will not take the chance a company will be around in the future and thus negate ALL that I have bought from them. Right now Smartsound is having their annual music sale and I’m about to drop about $1K but ONLY because I found a version of SonicFire (their music playing software) that does not check your account online to make sure you own that music. If they went out of business I’d be SOL. So I suspect a lot of their customers may well abandon them (which, ironically, increases the chances of them going under). Sometimes companies are just plain stupid – their greed and paranoia causes them the very problems they were trying to avoid.

ulysses

said

Nice synopsis AB. But I would never give my real name to DAZ and I always use a VPN when on the net. If someone did give DAZ their real info, I recommend that they create a new account (just need a free protonmail address) and start using that. Even if you buy stuff from the DS store and then share it here, use VISA gift cards to buy it using your new account that can’t be traced back to you. The less DAZ knows about you, the better.

AnjaBear

said

@themuse Ellie,

Renderosity and Renderotica and Hivewire do not use the Daz DIM system and you cannot use Daz Central for those items because they are not at Daz. So there is no download link to them which your Daz account accesses.

Daz Central is only for Daz purchased products only.

AnjaBear

AnjaBear

said

@ulysses

You sound like you are a seasoned pirate… I assume you don’t buy anything directly at Daz ever? I mean, they have info about you either via your PayPal account, or your Credit Card info; or do you only use externally purchased Gift Cards? I will assume your entire Daz account is setup under a fake email address, and fake home address etc based on what you have stated above. That is fine with me, but no matter what – my point with not using the same “nickname” on ZoneGFX is more about the user on the Daz site named “Ulysses” and the user on ZoneGFX aren’t the same people, right? So if someone at Daz finds a user on ZoneGFX caling themselves “Ulysses” they cannot be matched up to whomever is using the name “Ulysses” at Daz, with all of their serial numbers and products purchased. Get my point? Some people have used the same nicknames and Daz could literally look at the list of items they shared at ZoneGFX under the name Ulysses and prove that they shared products they bought at Daz3D over time. Get my point?

If you are using phony names for your Daz/Rendo/Rotica/etc accounts then another on ZoneGFX you are in the clear, I guess.

I was only suggesting to others reading these posts to be CAREFUL with the ability for Daz3D and elsewhere to track them by nickname.

AnjaBear

ulysses

said

You’re assuming exactly correctly Anja. I don’t use my real name or address and use VISA gift cards to buy stuff. I’ve never had a problem. I know you buy a lot of stuff (I’ve only bought a few SY things because I really like her as an PA), so that might not work well for you tho.

Agree 100% with you about the nicknames. I only use ‘ulysses’ here. Even if I wanted to use it somewhere else, it probably wouldn’t be available. It’s not as common as “John”, but when I’ve tried to register it with other sites, it’s always taken.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2013 ZoneGfx. All rights reserved.                                                            Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest