The more products and morphs you got, the slower DAZ becomes

Home Page Forums General Chat The more products and morphs you got, the slower DAZ becomes

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Larry
    Participant

@frank22 Well, when you have all this screen (the expression, head and body morphs not included) Genesis 8 Female becomes inoperable.

And there are other problems like the disappearance of items from the "Content Library" folder ( all Genesis uses), fortunately there are tricks to make it reappear...

With the habit one lives with 😉

Not good to siterip...

Frank21
    Participant

I think you might be supporting my "spring cleaning" recommendation Larry @Gelstat. I know that any prog worth it's salt shouldn't slow to a crawl like DS, but we have to live with what we've got. Others have made different work-arounds about split runtimes etc.
    I can't explain why but I've never had anything disappear from my content library, but it may be because I don't have the population of China in my character data folder.
    Because I usually make comics and work on specific projects, I categorise my characters like toon/game/realistic, etc. I'm wondering if it would help if when installing one could also install characters/clothing to separate runtimes so not everything it lumped together and bloat the data folder. That would require a bit of forethought about how you want to use the content in the future. And might lead to a mess of runtimes where you forget where things are.
    It would obviously be much better if the long awaited DS5 was to fix the issue of loading all morphs, but given their record, I'm not exactly holding my breath on that prospect. Personally I reckon we won't see any DS5 and DS as we know it will disappear and will become a cloud-based subscription app. like Photoshop that can scan for and detect pirated software. The sell-out of Daz.com to Tafi pretty much confirms that direction.

Larry
    Participant

@frank22 Dividing the content on a single run of DAZ is useless, I use 4 SSDs but as they are connected to this run, daz will look for morphs in ALL the disks...
    The only solution I found without cleaning all the disks as I said before is to use G3.
    You should use the official version (g8 load 20sec without my mess) to make a game or a comic and the rest on the beta to make or search content by moving the used assets to the official daz version.

Or we should also clean the dsf, 8800 lines "Formulas" are required for morphs !? We should keep only the "Formulas" that add specific morphs "PHMxxx", "ctrl", etc. Would going from 9500 to 700 lines save time ???
    In the LOG there are always formulas this, formulas that but if you delete everything, daz will have less to read and if he reads less it goes faster right? xD I'm starting to ramble
    In addition deleted these lines resolve in a majority of the cases the famous "Duplicate IDs".
    But G3 works well in my mess so that's cool. I am not interested in G8 anyway

I learned to manage my mess 🙂

Frank21
    Participant

Thanks Larry. I didn't know that separated runtimes would load other runtime data on all connected disks. It kind of makes the idea splitting runtimes for anything other than G3 worthless. I welcome other opinions.

Larry
    Participant

I tested this solution on my C: drive in the daz installation with only the starters, I had to increase again the loading time with identical starters spread over 2 ssd...

The only solution is not to stuff too much daz unfortunately, even turbo charge is useless if you have the cursor hourglass as soon as you click on part of the body g8, and it can last until 1 min the hourglass... The Chinese people row ahah

screen

Frank21
    Participant

So back to my "spring cleaning" suggestion? These days I usually only DL characters for their textures if they're good. I have enough morphs for what I want considering that most Daz characters are basically from the same sausage factor. And you have to appreciate the Chinese... the new superpower that has replaced the US as top dog.

Larry
    Participant

Well, apart from deleting what you don't use, there's not much to clean up. And it's a pain to do. You can also delete the "Templates" hidden sometimes in the textures folder, the "3de" folder if you use only iray, the "store", "visit" dsa/img artist. That's what I do every time I unzip a zip xD

Well, without made in china we would have less high-tech stuff so let them rule the world. The US has your chance, but considering what you've done with it... I love Chinese and jap 🙂

John09
    Participant

Can't you use 2 separate morph folder? I remember my G8F loading time was like 1-2 min long and I didn't want to remove my characters/morphs. Then I read about the use of 2 separate morph folder. One is just the basic morph I use mostly and the second one is filled with all my char/morphs.

By default, only the basic morph folder directory is specified in Daz, so it can't find all other morphs. If I need other char/morph, I can just second morph directory in daz.

Larry
    Participant

@john09 The problem of this technique is that the morphs present in the added in the content folder are not added in the menu. No updating.
    screen

I'm not going to make a screen of all my mess, I don't want to wait 15/20min (8.1 is longer than 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like