Stupid question : why Poser ?

Home Page Forums General Chat Stupid question : why Poser ?

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Dmitry
    Participant

You can laugh for a long time, but I use Poser 4.2 (2001 release). This is the most stable version of the program and it creates the clearest images after rendering. This version has several major flaws. This is a limitation of the memory used and does not support languages ​​other than English in the library. In addition, this version is not supported in Windows 7 and above, and you must select the program launch mode for Windows XP SP2. Despite this, I always prepare projects for visualization in Poser 4.2. Working with animation in Poser 4.2 is the most convenient of all subsequent versions. The developers of new versions managed to break all the best that was in Poser 4.2.

eelgoo

@Ethiopia

Well, I certainly wouldn't want that to happen.
    I was concerned when I heard that they had bought Poser, because I feared it might actually drag them down.
    If a dedicated graphics development company can't sort out Poser's problems, certainly a storefront like Renderosity won't have the know how or resources.

I'm pleased though that they are continuing to sell DS related items, as I feel that would be a more secure future for them.

:0/

AnjaBear

Actually Renderosity bought Poser so they can continue to milk all of their Poser products in the store without shelving them forever. I am not convinced they can do anything with Poser's interface, inner workings or make a beautiful or handsome figure - they have the ugliest figures of all 3D products out there.

The Poser community is like cultists who won't believe that their beloved program from 20 years ago can be surpassed by anything. You notice it by how verbally aggressive they are in mentions of Daz Studio... You can talk to them till you're blue in the face and they will tell you Daz Studio sucks and Poser is the best thing in the world. Sorry - NO IT ISN'T. And yes as the poster above said - it crashes constantly.

With all the infighting formerly at Smith-Micro, and the neglect of the Poser Product over almost 10 years, what do you expect to happen when technology progresses and you are still using an interface that requires Flash, and had a Kai Krause interface which is not intuitive at all.

But hey, they even pay hundreds of dollars for a version upgrade and have no support or new products created for Poser in its new versions - and no one makes stuff for their new products en-masse like they do in the Daz communities. That is because Poser users expect everything to be free or super cheap, and the only decent figures they really have to work with - are from 2006 - Victoria 4, Michael 4, Aiko 4, Hiro 4, Freak 4. Poser people won't touch Genesis - even mentioning Genesis figures to a Poser die-hard user makes them vomit in their own mouths and they will tell you how beautiful DAWN and DUSK are... (gag)

Simply check out the amount of characters, skins, textures and products that are out there for Dawn and Dusk, and then check out Renderosity's current support of converting EVERYTHING from Victoria 4 to this LaFemme abomination. Old products refit to another hideous figure. And people believe it's all state of the art - and Daz is crap.

Delusional much?

Cheers!
    Anja

PS: I started out with Poser 3 and Bryce in the dark ages as a teenager. So I've watched the progression of all this.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Yes, I read that. I still keep up on the Poser forums and wonder where it's going to lead (or end). I want it to succeed since Daz3D desperately needs competition. I long for the old days when making items for Poser was well documented because it was in Poser's best interest and we enjoyed a wide variety of content that Studio has never equaled. All we get is an endless stream of similar stuff that sells. Skimpwear and barbie dolls. I lament that the ancient wedding dress for Vicky Three has never been equaled or that we don't have Genesis versions of those sweet and cute girls from Addy at Rendo.

I'm keeping a close eye on Blender because I can see someone making a plugin to support Daz items properly in it. There's already a lot of interest due to the popularity of the 2.8 release. If that happens, Daz is gonna be in deep shit.

On a different note, I wished that SM would have made Poser fully support the Daz characters and format. People keep creating new figures that are going to 'save' Poser but they all fall flat. How much stuff do you see for La Femme compared to the constant flood of Genesis 8 items? Supporting Daz's format would give Poser instant access to a shitload of excellent content and save them the money they presently throw into trying to make their own. All they'd have to do is publish a book detailing EVERYTHING involved in content creation and I'm certain we'd see a renaissance of original stuff as people started making stuff...just like in the old days when it was Poser only. Daz tries to keep content creation a secret art so that it can monopolize the market. Rendo, through Poser, has (had) it in it's power to break this monopoly. Daz would have no choice but to start charging for Studio, leveling the playing field. Unfortunately I don't see Rendo as being smart enough or having any kind of business sense.
    E.

eelgoo

It was Smith Micro's refusal to facilitate support for the Genesis line that lead Daz to start developing Studio, so it had a vehicle for selling it's new content.

Initially Studio lagged well behind Poser, but in a relatively short time scale it found it's feet & equalled or bettered Poser in many areas, available quality content being its trump card.

Commercially, other than in the short term, perhaps, I feel 'Rosity are flogging a dead horse with Poser. The quality & investment simply isn't there.

:0/

AnjaBear

@dimpet That is a pretty good animated film. But it still looks like the animations made in the late 1990's to early 2000's. It has that "Poser" feeling to it. Today one can use Daz Genesis figures in other engines, like Unity, UnRealEngine and others to do animations with a much higher tech feeling. The thing about Poser animation too, it that most times they contain no shadows in them, which takes away from any realism. But if you are going for cartoon animation, this was great. You use the tools you have and stuff that doesn't break all the time to get the job done.

Nice work in that video. Does the story continue elsewhere? or is that the only film made of that story?

Anja

Dmitry
    Participant

The main mistake of the Poser developers is that they are not interested in the users of the program about the necessary tools and they do not have a strategy where to move on. If they always think only about the commercial component, then the program will come to a standstill very quickly. They need to really understand what a modern user wants. If the team of Eric Wenger knew exactly about the prospects for the development of Poser 4, then modern Poser developers are developing a system of total control over users of the program through the model library update module. This slows down the program itself.

Dmitry
    Participant

I finished writing the screenplay for the third movie from the lost planet trilogy. Next in line is the voice acting of all the characters for the movie. I found many interesting scenery for the movie, but many of the scenery was created for DAZ Studio. I need a lot of time to convert models from DAZ Studio to OBJ format for Bryce. I used to have no problems with models, but DAZ Studio adopted its own format of DSF geometry.

Dmitry
    Participant

If I understand correctly, then we will not see films made at DAZ Studio here. This program works well for creating photorealistic images. But we will need to choose another program to create the animation.

ADAM
    Participant

I used Poser for many years. I took a break and came back then tried Daz. Certain things about Poser I like a little better but not enough to go back. The content for Poser sux compared to Daz. I see Daz characters improve every year and tweeks to Daz program improve every year. I dont see Poser matching what Daz improves at the same pace. "to me" its a program that doesnt know when to die with a following trying to keep it alive. AND Daz is freikin free. No need for cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Auroratrek/videos

Kratos
    Participant

I think it's wise to avoid the monopolies of any company, it's true that DAZ is free but the models they sell are quite expensive and would be more if they didn't have any competition

ADAM
    Participant

While I wouldn't want to see Daz become a monopoly, IMHO they pretty much already are in the following they have. You're either a Poser person or a Daz (for the most part). I can get most Poser stuff into Daz pretty easy and make it look good. Cant say that its easy for Poser user to use Daz stuff from what the forums say. Have you looked at the G8 characters? You really want to buy a Poser character after that?
    Renderosity has a Daz section to keep them alive. Pretty sure Daz could drop any poser content from their site and not even notice. Heck, do they even sell poser stuff?

People who are very skilled at modeling probably dont even use either. Ive seen some amazing work with neither being credited.
    These people take lumps of digital clay and create the most realistic models Ive ever seen. Create custom textures, maps, hair, ect...

When I visit Rendo I click the Daz section. Could care less about the awful models poser has.

Slackwave
    Participant

If someone can show another example of animation in DAZ Studio for comparison, then you can do it now

Well here it is : https://youtu.be/Va3Yns20yoI

(animation made by @massico)

Z Family
    Participant

Thank you @Slackwave for mentioning my first short animation movie with DAZ! Honestly doing animation with DAZ is quite tedious, which why I wanted to turn to Unreal engine but was really very disappointed with the rendering without having to redo everything regarding textures, materials etc ... So I went back to DAZ but this time using more HDRI images and especially the post-denoiser option! Try it for animation with only 1000-2000 iterations, the render time is divided by 10;-) Another point since version 4.12 the new time-line with graphmate is a plus.

Dmitry
    Participant

If you spend 6 months producing 2 minutes of video in DAZ Studio, then I spend 4 months producing 14 minutes of video in Poser. I agree that the quality of visualization may differ markedly, but we do not set ourselves the task here to create photorealistic movie. We are artists and we must understand that if we do not create our own unique style of image, then no one can distinguish our movie from other similar movies. Therefore, never strive to make your movie indistinguishable from filming with a real camera. As a result, you will reduce the time it takes to render and the timing of your movie will increase markedly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like