Quick Test CPU render time using Iray default setting.

Quick Test CPU render time using Iray default setting.

Home Page Forums General Chat Quick Test CPU render time using Iray default setting.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Drazzilkniks Drazzilkniks 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
Profile photo of globalrecession2009

globalrecession2009

said

I want to know where i stand in the ball park with iray render times

I have been messing about just for kicks with a single G8F with no hair or clothes to see how fast i can get it to fully render I have made a discovery that has sped up an iray render so much that I am now starting to look at iray.

I dont want to get too excited and look like an idiot because i actually dont know how long an iray render should be.

So if anyone can help out I am curious to know how long it takes to fully render a simple naked, bald G8F using CPU with the iray default setting in empty scene with no extra lights. Front on camera shot Cropped above the knees Width 720 x Height 960 size

November 7, 2018 at 5:06 pm

globalrecession2009

said

Oh boy…..good point. You are correct. I forgot about that.

I got old i5 4 core cpu and of course there are some people with cpu with many many more cores.

So those cpu could be just as fast as an nvidia.

I didnt really thing this through, sorry. Now i think more about this, it really is a bit hard to compare render times.

November 7, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Profile photo of EvilMonkey

EvilMonkey

said

You could ask people to bench their cpu with a cinebench render or something similar as well as your suggested render. That way you’d get a way to draw a comparison.

November 7, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Profile photo of Alan

Alan

said

I have a 4 core i7

CPU render took 6min 7sec

My Nvidia GTX 1060 did it in 27 seconds (why doesn’t this forum have smileys)

November 7, 2018 at 11:18 pm
Profile photo of norbertz

norbertz

said

@globalrecession2009

You haven’t told us what hardware you have 🙂

Multi core CPU’s can render quick depending on the render engine.
Iray is really a GPU render engine (Keeerching for Nvidia)
And you have to take the complexity of the scene into account.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Profile photo of norbertz norbertz.
November 8, 2018 at 12:46 am
Profile photo of norbertz

norbertz

said

@zombivor

These smileys…..:) 🙂 🙂 🙂
You’ll have to use your keyboard.

November 8, 2018 at 12:47 am
Profile photo of UnboundConsciousness

UnboundConsciousness

said

Intel i7 8700k OC’ed to 4.9 – 1 Min, 38 seconds.
OC’ed GTX 1080 Ti – 13 seconds.

November 8, 2018 at 1:40 am
Profile photo of LivingPixels

LivingPixels

said

There are so many variables with Iray rendering that it becomes almost impossible to really do an accurate benchmarking comparison. First, Iray is primarily a GPU-based non-biased rendering engine, so CPU times will vary widely depending on CPU speed, memory speed, and for initial rendering, HDD/SSD read times.

Another factor is that having the character even just 1 foot closer to camera can alter render times by several seconds or more because of the way Iray processes light. Rendering characters smaller in frame (ie further from camera) is one way to speed up render times for complex scenes.

Ideally you’d save a scene using all default characters, morphs, lights, camera, and render settings etc so that everyone is starting out on equal footing. In general you can get a rough idea of whether you’re rendering “fast” or “slow” but in the end it’s just generalization and will change dramatically in every scene. Adding reflections slows rendering dramatically, as does rendering interiors while also using IBL through windows and doors. In general, anything that causes light to bounce more or has more interior volumes that need to be considered by the lighting the longer it will take.

Even my old Core 2 Duo and GTX 950 Ti can render a single figure pretty well in Iray, but adding reflection, SSS and so on will take a long time, or be very grainy.

November 8, 2018 at 3:21 am
Profile photo of ShadowDemonLord

ShadowDemonLord

said

Intel I7 OCéd to 4.5 – 1 Minute 39 Seconds.
GTX Titan Black – 29 seconds.
GTX Titan Black – 19 seconds with OptiX Prime Acceleration Enabled (noted for comparison).

November 8, 2018 at 3:27 am

globalrecession2009

said

Thanks for the few tests……im in the stone age it seems

Well my cpu is an intel i5 (3330) 4 cores ivy bridge and yes i know its an old chip now.

So with iray default setting with an image size 720 x 960 with front on shot and cutting just above the knees,
It takes me 11 mins 30 secs and 536 iterations to fully render that naked bald G8F.

If i add hair and clothes then forget it.

It will be a long time yet before i can have better pc and also an nividea gfx card.

Thank god for 3delight 🙂

November 8, 2018 at 10:06 pm
Profile photo of Alan

Alan

said

I can’t remember what I’ve had for breakfast let alone codes for emoticons 😀 (did that work)

November 14, 2018 at 12:43 am
Profile photo of Drazzilkniks

Drazzilkniks

said

I’m late to this party
cpu intel i5 4670 (left optix prime acceleration on) 7 min 25 s (414 iterations)
GPU Nvidia gtx 970 (gigabyte oc windforce 3 edition) 32.78 seconds (418 iterations)

November 14, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2013 ZoneGfx. All rights reserved.                                                            Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest