NEWS: MEGA Blocked in Belgium "Fact Checking"

Home Page Forums General Chat NEWS: MEGA Blocked in Belgium "Fact Checking"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AnjaBear

I was just informed by a few members of ZoneGFX who live in Belgium, that as of April 1, 2020 Belgium has blocked MEGA.NZ and all access to it within the country. Also, using VPN doesn't seem to get around the issue.

I want to Fact Check this. Is this true?

I would like to help out those who can no longer get products from the site due to this blocking, but am not sure how to go about it. Does anyone have any experience as to how to mirror things on other services without having to completely reupload them? Some of the Daz shares are as large as 13-18GB.

The average Daz share has been around 1.2GB lately.

Not sure what other countries are affected by this.

Anyone have some good ideas?

AnjaBear

Alapa
    Participant

UK is fine at the moment.

Mello
    Participant

At time of writing this, and I am from Belgium, I can tell you that is wrong info as I have no problem accessing the website or downloading anything from it.

Imata
    Participant

If Mega is blocked in your country (it is in mine), I use the following work around:

1. Download the Mega.nz desktop app using a VPN (Windscribe works well for this, as it has an autopilot feature which cycles regularly). Use the in-browser version for this.

2. When connecting to the mega.nz for a download link, if the site will not load, copy the link into the mega desktop app. even without a vpn, it will download the file.

Some VPN's work better than others, I use a combination of Windscribe and Express VPN. Windscribe has a free option, but Express is paid for only. Other VPNs will work too, I am sure. If you're still having trouble connecting, use different locations on your vpn. Some of the more obscure locations often work better.

Errilhl
    Participant

Unless Belgium have a centralized blocking system affecting all outside lines, that is done via DNS blocking, and probably on an ISP level. Which is simple to get around by changing DNS servers. Set up DNS for 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8 / 4.4.4.4 (for instance) and I'm betting that issue goes away.

Also, VPN should definitely get around this issue - if it doesn't, change VPN-hosts, or better yet, change ISPs, because at some point in the transfer, someone is checking traffic.

StopUsingGoogle
    Participant

US here, out of several posts clicking the download button only got me there on one item, the others took me to my account page without a download and after signing out, to the main page. I had to use the above method of copying the links to the desktop app to be able to download the rest.

That said, I can access Mega and my account, I just can't download by link except whatever made that one file work. I don't know if this is a "blocking" issue or some internal malfunction at Mega? We'll have to see how things play out.

Errilhl
    Participant

There isn't really anything that should cause that - unless you have some redirect blocker, adblock or similar that might mess with the links. Mega do have issues at times, ofc, and that can manifest in not loading specific download links.

Note that if a link is broken, sometimes Mega redirects back to home page (or your account).

ulysses
    Participant

I don't know how Belgium can block a good vpn. The only thing the Belgian ISP knows is the IP address of the vpn router on the first hop, not mega. The mega link is encrypted inside the packet and, unless Belgium is using NSA level decryption on all Internet traffic to stop people from getting to mega, they have no idea where a user is going or even what data is being transmitted. Agree with some of the peeps above, get a better vpn if the IPS' can block you.

ulysses
    Participant

I should note that I, as one who loves to buy into a good conspiracy, believe it is entirely possible that the NSA owns most of the vpn providers and can decrypt traffic as will. However, sharing this content isn't even on their radar screen.

😉

Phoernik
    Participant

Hello,
    if i were you, I'll ask myself somes questions (I often do this, consider hypotheses and by eliminating them)

- Have you checked you registration email ? if you are really blocked, it seems to me you have been warned
    - Have you install a new software (security)
    - Have you checked you computer if there are suspicious program ?
    - Have tried to change browzer (firefox, chrome, opera... another one you use usually ?
    - Have you tried to create another account with anoter email of course ?
    - Have you a free account or premium account (if you have a free one, out of the 50 GB offered, only 15 GB are for life, the remaining 35 GB are limited in time. But I don't think that's what it is).
    - what is your network operator ? Proximus, Base, Orange, Scarlett ? (perhaps there is a one thing in common)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like