MEGA Sucks for Very Large Files

Home Page Forums General Chat MEGA Sucks for Very Large Files

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kayma
    Participant

Just a suggestion: if someone wants to upload something that is larger than say, 500 MB, PLEASE consider hosting OTHER than MEGA. It's very difficult to download large files there unless you take out a subscription to by-pass their artificially-created scarcity and limits.

Alternatively, perhaps those large files could be broken up into smaller ones?

Anyway, I have never encountered this bullshit limit on Mediafire or Google Drive.

evil-rooster5811
    Participant

It may suck for the size of files, but many others literally take hours to download large files while MEGA does very quickly. If you look at the through-put and bandwidth to do that you'll understand why they have limits. They are not arbitrary either.

My take is that the small annual fee if you download 80gb or more in a month is worth the time saved. I won't bash other providers, but some have download speeds in the kb/s range and time-out before they're finished. You get what you pay for.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Mega?.....Slow?...you must be using a different 'Mega' than I am. I have only a free subscription and downloads are f-a-s-t! The free tier gives you 5GB a day but if you use the desktop thing it seems to give you more.

Paul (Fuzzy3000)
    Participant

@Kayma
    Hi,
    I almost exclusively use Meg[.nz], and have done so for well over 6 years.
    I only use other sites for occasional DLs - where they do not use Mega.
    As stated - it is fast.
    If you find larger files a problem 1st I would suggest a vpn [if not already using]. This will be very useful for those files [or groups of DLs that make up a large DL]

With the vpn active start your DL as normal.
    If/when you get the proverbial 'do you want to upgrade' sales pitch -close it.
    Change your vpn to a new location.
    Do not close Mega - but click the refresh arrow.
    Mega should restart and inform you that you have DLs pending - do you want to resume. Click yes [duh]
    You should now have your DL back up & running.
    If very large you may need to Rinse & repeat. I have used this with no problem for the large multi-GB files with the likes of the Now-Crowd Billboards series and Kitbash 3D.
    Note: if you had multiple files selected on the DL you will only have 1 that resumes - you will need to re-add the missing ones.

Mega is quite forgiving- just give it a chance. It has none of the suspicious crap activity that some of the files here are uploaded to... 🙂

Stahlratte
    Participant

If the problem persists, it's also possible to simply split any upload into smaller files.

At least with 7Zip and WinZip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like