Geisha

Home Page Forums Art Showcase Geisha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    gaver
    Participant

in an oriental mood.... 😉

link

Frank21
    Participant

One of your best @Gaver. I can't find anything to criticise..... perfect!

gaver
    Participant

Thnx Frank
    I aim to please 😀

Frank21
    Participant

Yep it's good. I'm going to tag the "in crowd" as far as the art showcase goes, because I'd like them to see it and pass an opinion too. Hope you don't mind.

@Makemodus
    @Lucafeelgood @Kefka @Gaver

gaver
    Participant

no problem but didn't you forget @enjoyify

Frank21
    Participant

Holy crap I did! Don't tell her I forgot. No wonder I'm single 😁.

gaver
    Participant

absent mind is a sign of pure genius 😉

Frank21
    Participant

.... or dementia LOL. I went over the art contributors for the past week and she missed the cut by "that much".
    gs

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

A very fine render @Gaver. As Frank says. One of your best renders. Lovely strong colors.

Yep it’s good. I’m going to tag the “in crowd” as far as the art showcase goes

Good idea, any art what is posted here should be reviewed. If no one reviews, the artist no longer needs to post here.
    It's so easy, every time you're here just stop by the "artforum" Give the artist some nice words, what he or she deserves..and all is fine. Right.

gaver
    Participant

Thnx Luca

And indeed, why are there so little people visiting the gallerie?
    I see a lot of "I give 500 for ....."
    I wonder, do these people just collect items, or do they use them?
    It is so nice to see work of other people, we all have a different "style" if you will. Not all of us have enough knowledge to make nice pictures, but by asking "how did you do that" one can learn.
    Even from positive criticism.
    Did a first time dforce render when i made "when in Rome". I got a comment telling me to up the iterations.
    That gave me an other clue as to how do all these GR@#%* sliders work...
    as an autodidact, it will take years to figure it all out.
    That's a nice thing about communities, we teach and learn from eachother.

enjoyify
    Participant

This is very good! I like the style and framing. The tattoo is a nice touch.

Since you asked, my main criticism would be to improve the eyes. The eyes are the the true focus of this render, so they should be flawless.

Examples:
    --Add more direct light
    --Reduce the iris slightly to a more natural size. Consider using brown eyes if she's Japanese
    --Add more depth geometry to the cornea + iris
    --Shrink the DoF to just a few (virtual) inches past the eyes
    --Give her a more pronounced expression

These details only matter when zoomed in like this. Close up portraits reveal minor imperfections we wouldn't otherwise notice.

There are a few different assets you can use to tweak the eyes. My go-to is Natural Eyes II.

Kefka
    Participant

Hmm.. it's okay.

I wonder the same for all these collectors of 3d model stuff. I never use request section unless it is something I know I'm about to use. I kinda despise the request section because it contradicts the premise of this site; to share freely with everyone. Yes it's only points, I get that, but it is becoming more and more an exclusive sharing with a select few. At the moment, though, that may be for the best with DRM takedowns.

Did a first time dforce render when i made “when in Rome”. I got a comment telling me to up the iterations.

Glad that helped.

So critique:

Again, eyes. Eyes are very important, like enjoyify said, for any render but especially a close-up portrait type render.

Also, change the ornamental fan opacity to 100% and add a subsurface/translucency application instead. This will make the flowers really pop (though they aren't bad). Also seeing the lighting seems to be traveling through the fan, it may transfer some of that color onto the character skin.

Follow these instructions + change all surface’s ‘Base Color Effect’ to scatter only and add diffuse map to translucency weight surface too if you find it looks too waxy.
    vvv

I want to share a technique I recently discovered (Daz Studio SSS)

Expression.. hmm. I leave that up to you. I don't always agree with that but in this case, if you give the smallest hint of a smile on the left side, just peeking past the fan (increase 'mouth smile left' or 'simple smile left' depending on character iteration a bit more). Again though, entirely personal preference.

I find non-traditional eye color on different ethnic groups very sexy. I mean look at Joy Sunday's eyes in Wednesday (I know they are contacts), VERY SEXY.

DOF.. you can never go wrong. I just have to learn how to use it.

I think the thing that bothers me most is the hair. It has way to much shine on it. Several things can cause that shine so I can't give instructions but increasing the "blank" roughness (if that surface is even applicable) on anything that causes that shine would probably make it better.

IDK.. I don't mean to bastardize your work but I was @ and I do see potential. Hopefully you take our words to heart, unlike what I did, and realize we are trying to help; not impede.

BECAUSE YOU SURE AS HELL DIDN'T FIX THAT EYE PROBLEM WE KEEP MENTIONING!!!!! (no hate intended)
    - Take care

gaver
    Participant

Whahaha, thanx I geuss 😉

A lot of info from a single picture.
    Again, I have to look some of the things mentioned up.
    NEver had the computing power to do more than basic things.
    I know what you mean by the eyes. Still trying to get the hang of lighting
    As for expressions, there are no sliders, or tucked away somewhere deep
    By change I found something about face controls on google, so working on that
    I guess the hair just reflects the light, probably to much hairlacker to keep it in place

I know it is all critics to get better at what We do, sort of the teacher gives you a C but explains the error so you can go for a B next time.
    Apart from that, my head has hundreds of ideas I want to try out now I have de proper tools.
    As in my foto's I try to create a feeling/atmosphere.
    It does not always have to be 100% technically, that comes with practice
    When I started to work with clay, I thought I made nice things, after a few years I would be highly embarrassed id I would produce the same thing.
    Skills take time, and the joy of every finished project, makes you try again.

Have a nice day all

gaver
    Participant

Just wondering, you guys have an education in this field or work in it. Or just long time users. Sounds like you ate the manual for me 🙂

Me myself I am just an enthusiastic centipede with lots of interests, I wrote short stories, tried painting ( but sucked), work with clay, do some metalwork ( old style craftsmanship), tkae pictures as I mentioned, used to be in a band.
    And obvious still have a lot to learn .........

Frank21
    Participant

I'm very much an amateur and I think most people here are likewise. This is why I try to limit my comments to a few helpful, and always kind, remarks about an artwork, and not like an academic critique of a PHD dissertation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like