File naming & organizing

Home Page Forums General Chat File naming & organizing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Merlina
    Participant

I guess I post general questions in this forum? Anyway, I have been organizing all my install files in preparation for my new laptop that is coming (yay!)

So I intend to copy my entire runtime (meaning main folder group of runtimes) to the laptop for the time being so that I can at least use Poser until I get things reinstalled.

I know most things can just be used this way; I'm not sure if there are still specific things that need installed separately. Anyway, I still planned to reinstall, because I have so so many things, using DIM was an easier way of keeping track of what is installed, even though I pretty much just use Poser. I'm not sure if there is an easier way to know what you have installed so you don't waste time reinstalling files.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear how some of you organize things. I know likely people on this forum are like me, half the time overwhelmed because I download so many things I couldn't afford otherwise.

My other question, is do you rename files? So many things from Renderosity/RDNA have odd names. I don't even understand where the numbers come from as they don't appear to be the number in the item link. As long as I don't rename any files I assume this is fine? I figure it might help me to get rid of old doubles.

ETA: I also get so annoyed with trying to decide where to put things when they work for more than one character. Or even bundles. Sometimes I wonder with my install files if I should separate by hair, poses, etc, because I do do that on install, regardless of the figure. (I have a runtime for each figure and then separate for things like those)

eelgoo

Well these threads may be relevant to a degree:

'https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/manual-install-to-ds/'

'https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/own-folders-vs-smart-content/'

..but I think you are asking about archive files rather than active files in Runtimes?

:0/

Merlina
    Participant

Kind of asking about both lol, but more how to keep track of what is installed.

Thanks

Merlina
    Participant

eelgoo> that confuses me more. I meant Poser installs not DS. I haven't even tackled that yet. I just use DIM to install to the specific runtimes like G3F or hair, etc. but within my Poser structure of runtimes.

eelgoo

As to keeping track of what is installed, well, for me I just navigate the active Runtime to where it should be. If it isn't there it isn't installed.
    I don't use any automated install, if I can avoid it, so I know exactly where it would be if I have it in my Runtime.

I can verify by going to my archive & checking the product folder there. If it has an 'inst' file in there, I have installed it at some time previously & can then just extract to the live runtime to re-install.

Now, the fact that you are still using Poser will tend to confuse.
    I only use Studio now & I find I am a lot less muddled than I was.

🙂

silverboaX
    Participant

I don't use poser but my understanding from reading threads on the topic is if it's in the runtime, it'll work.

DAZ definitely works that way and I keep a backup of my content folder zipped for 'accidents'.

Again i'm not sure if it's the same in Poser but im guessing it is, but moving/renaming stuff in DAZ is awful, DAZ has absolutely no fault tolerance for guessing what you've done which is why you end up with dozens of folders from different vendors with different or misspelled names with the same type of content in them. AFAIK the only way around this is to load the content, locate all the parts you moved/changed, then save out the content again yourself... not a practical solution in a big library.

Merlina
    Participant

But how do you know where within the runtime they are installed? Or is it just because you are using DS so the file structure is easier?

Merlina
    Participant

I meant changing the file names of the install files. I wasn’t sure if DIM would work if you do, but I guess in most cases the Daz files are named correctly it’s more Renderosity and RDNA that are messed up.

As a side, is it worth finding and redownloading old products on here that I have exe files of because I found them years ago (like from torrents etc). Been thinking about that.

silverboaX
    Participant

I personally try to convert everything I have to a simple zip file for easy installing (since windows 10 will treat zips like folders for the most part so you can browse them without extracting them) so yeah, I tend to download anything that has the files in an archive instead of an .exe

eelgoo

Merlina
    said

But how do you know where within the runtime they are installed? Or is it just because you are using DS so the file structure is easier?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, basically.

I have a custom runtime as described in the thread I linked to earlier.

If you trust DIM, it will just throw the files wherever the vendor decided to drop them.

If you are unsure, take a look inside a few IM no. files to get familiar with what is in there & where it typically goes. Once you understand the basics you can re-organise your runtime in a way which suits your workflow.

Merlina
    Participant

Another question, do you guys install your runtime to separate drive from the program? Is there a reason to do this? I originally did this so if the OS drive had to be reformatted my poser structure would remain intact, but even so, you would lose what was installed with DIM anyway. They only reason I was debating this time, is because the primary drive is going to be faster than my secondary, but maybe where the runtimes are won't be slower because of that?

Primary is Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD
    Secondary is Samsung 850 EVO Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 2TB

eelgoo

The way I do it is to have a small SSD for OS only.
    Programs are installed to a seperate drive & backed up on another remote drive.

🙂

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@Merlina, you can put your content directory onto a 5200rpm mechanical drive and it doesn't seem to make much difference to Daz as it's loading everything into memory when it's used anyway. I was originally loading my content onto an SSD but when that filled up I realised it was just a waste of fast access space.

If you're worried about reinstating your "smart content" in the event of a wipe, then keep a backup of your DS folders so you can re-import them along with your metadata if you have to reinstall

Merlina
    Participant

Thanks, again though, I'm using Poser. Does it work the same way?

eelgoo

Similar from memory.

Although I always found that Poser took its sweet time anyway. :0/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like